did gilkes score at wembley? if he did it was great
if not, ive had fake memories implanted like in total recall

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 17:36

brendywendy did gilkes score at wembley? if he did it was great
if not, ive had fake memories implanted like in total recall

Yes, he did, in the Simod Cup final. Good goal.

Katie Marsden

Re: Best Reading goal?

by Katie Marsden » 04 Jun 2007 17:40

Coppelled Streets Now that's a tough question?

Dylan Kerr's belter with the outside of his left foot was a great goal and favourite here. The South Bank went wild when that went in and I remember falling forward 15 or so rows and not finding any of my lot until we got back to the pub after the game.

Lee Nogan's well taken goal at Wembley was one of the finest goals you'll see anywhere IMO. Great skill and a cool finish. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Andy Hughes from about 30 odd yards at Molineux is also worth a mention. The silence from the home ends was

Robin Friday scoring 'that' goal.
I never got to see it but even the ref stopped and applauded the man!
I wish I could have seen the great man play for us.

Friday for me, but what's your favourite?

So your best goal was one you've never seen?

:lol: :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Jun 2007 19:43

Staggering - over a page of this thread an no mention of my clear favourite.

Back to goal, 20 yards out and with Neil Emblen up his backside, Jimmy Quinn juggles ball twice on his left foot and then turns and volleys into the top corner of the Tilehurst End. Utterly unsaveable, best goal I have seen in person and I have seen an awful lot of football matches in person.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/300496.html
Last edited by floyd__streete on 04 Jun 2007 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jun 2007 19:47

floyd__streete Staggering - over a pgae of this thread an no mention of my clear favourite.

Back to goal, 20 yards out and with Neil Emblen up his backside, Jimmy Quinn juggles ball twice on his left foot and then turns and volleys into the top corner of the Tilehurst End. Utterly unsaveable, best goal I have seen in person and I have seen an awful lot of football matches in person.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/300496.html

I did think of that one earlier, but in my senility if I couldn't remember who Keith Scott scored against there was no way I'd be able to pin that one down!

Tacano

by Tacano » 04 Jun 2007 20:08

He won't go down as one of Reading's best midfielders, but Keith Jones scored a cracker in a pre-season friendly against Southampton. On the edge of the Saints' area, he controlled then volleyed in a ball that had been cleared from a corner. Great stuff.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2007 20:11

Another Quinn goal, V Bournemouth. Ball comes to him ten yards or so into their half. Bouncing ball, Quinn looks up sees the keeper well off his line and unleashes a dipping volley to complete his hat-trick.

Will always Mick Tait's freekick from the halfway line, against Hartlepool I think.

Another memorable Quinn goal, the late winner against Brentford where he volleyed in when horizontal.

Frustrated_Royal

by Frustrated_Royal » 04 Jun 2007 20:16

Another Quinn cracker was a hooked volley against Bristol Rovers in 1993/94 IIRC. The man was quality.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Jun 2007 20:32

Quinns 3rd v Wolves in 96
Lambert v Forest in 97/98

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 04 Jun 2007 20:42

Maybe not the best but Curo's up at Oldham when he curled from corner edge of the box. Just Beautiful.

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 04 Jun 2007 20:43

Martin Hicks away at Palace in about 86 or 87(?). We won three 3-1. Colin Bailie got sent off.

Whenever Hicks normally connected with the ball it came down with snow on! On this occasion though he connected sweetly from 35 yards out and it sailed into the top corner.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jun 2007 21:05

Quinn for our 3rd against Wolves. circa 55/96? or maybe 96/97

left foot juggle with his back to goal outside the area at the Tilehurst end of Elm Park and then a sweet left volley over his shoulder and into the net. Can still see it now.

THat was almost as a good a day as beating them when they scored a cheating goal in the dying minutes only for archie to bag a brace in injury time. That was definitely the sweetest victory I've ever seen.

Sadly I missed Leicester, Brentford, Derby and QPR. It just beats 'Boro.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 04 Jun 2007 21:08

Parky's V Wolves in the League Cup game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 04 Jun 2007 21:18

Stranded Another Quinn goal, V Bournemouth. Ball comes to him ten yards or so into their half. Bouncing ball, Quinn looks up sees the keeper well off his line and unleashes a dipping volley to complete his hat-trick.

Will always Mick Tait's freekick from the halfway line, against Hartlepool I think.

Another memorable Quinn goal, the late winner against Brentford where he volleyed in when horizontal.

The two Quinny goals are great shouts, especially the one against Bournemouth. But, sorry - I saw Friday's goal against Tranmere and it was as good as everyone who saw it will testify. End of thread.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Jun 2007 21:23

Tacano He won't go down as one of Reading's best midfielders, but Keith Jones scored a cracker in a pre-season friendly against Southampton. On the edge of the Saints' area, he controlled then volleyed in a ball that had been cleared from a corner. Great stuff.

It was actually even better than you describe because he actually hit it first time on the volley from more like 25 yards. And for the record, I rated Keith Jones. He was our Division 2 Makalele - break up play, lay it simple. And he did it effectively.

My top 5 in not any particular order (and to count them they're only one's I've been priveleged enough to see):

1) Jimmy Quinn v Bristol Rovers, Apr '94. Corner comes in from the Reading left, is partially headed away by a Rovers defender to Quinny on the far corner of the 18 yard box (Reading right). One touch, and a fantastic right foot volley into the 'keeper's top right corner. Every bit as good as the one against Wolves.

2) Lee Hodges v Oldham, Sep '01. Just after half time, a long ball is pumped forward. It's partially headed away to Hodges around 25 yards out, who chests and volleys in one movement into the 'keeper's top left corner.

3) Phil Parkinson v Wolves, Nov '97. 1-0 up through an Adie Williams og, 2 minutes later the ball finds it's way to Parky on the half way line. He turns and runs towards the Wolves box, shoving Ray Houghton off the ball in the middle of the run. 25 yards out, Parky unleashes an outside of the right foot effort that drifts into Mike Stowell's top left hand corner.

4) Scott Taylor v Stoke City, Mar 95. Under the cosh for the majority of the game at Stoke's Victoria Ground, Reading's only true attacking move of the game was the move of the game. Ball played from defence to Paul Holsgrove on half way, who controls and lifts a great cushioned volleyed pass into the path of Scott Taylor who ran the length of the Stoke half, characteristically outpacing the Stoke defence before coolly lifting the ball over Carl Muggleton in the Stoke goal.

5) Glen Little, Preston North End, Aug 05. This goal capped off a fantastic period of pressure either side of half time in which Preston (a side ridiculously strong at home under Billy Davies) conceded a quarter of their total goals at home throughout the whole of the 05/06 season. The ball was played from the left back position into Bobby Convey who produced a brilliant first time turn to skin the Preston man pressuring him. The ball is played into Sidwell, and then Kitson, and then Convey again all on the egde of the Preston area, who then knocks it to Shorey on the left wing. Shorey skins his man, the right back, and puts in a characteristic left wing far post cross. Glen Little meets it with a salmon like jump to absolutely power a header into the top left corner. The Preston 'keeper got a hand to it, but there was no point in him even trying to reach it. A brilliant goal, and a goal that capped off my most satisfying win of the season.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Jun 2007 21:26

Stranded Another Quinn goal, V Bournemouth. Ball comes to him ten yards or so into their half. Bouncing ball, Quinn looks up sees the keeper well off his line and unleashes a dipping volley to complete his hat-trick.

***Pedant Mode On***

Jimmy Quinn never scored a hat-trick for Reading. The scorers in that game were Quinn twice (a near post header and said dipping volley) and Micky Gooding (a first time smashed volley from a corner, another goal that nobody has mentioned even though I thought it was more spectacular than Quinny's!!)

***Pedant Mode Off***

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 04 Jun 2007 21:46

lovell against wolves when we came back from 1-0 down to win it in extra time, it was like ecstacy for free.

Radders

by Radders » 04 Jun 2007 22:15

Best goal, but for a completely different reason.

Archie's first penalty after the Wembley miss. I will never forget the crowd calling for him to take it from the moment it was given, and then the hushed quiet, almost willing the ball in the net, then the explosion of noise after he put it away. Normally the best goals are out of the blue, but this had all the tension and crowd expectation.

Probably the best (or just most important) penalty he ever scored. God knows what would have happened to him if he had missed it!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Jun 2007 22:21

Radders Probably the best (or just most important) penalty he ever scored. God knows what would have happened to him if he had missed it!

Probably would have gone downhill, been freed a couple of years later and spent a few seasons of obscurity in Scotland before retiring and spending the rest of his career commentating on an obscure cable channel that no-one watches 8) . Archie Lovell, most overrated RFC player ever.

I am of course fishing (to an extent :shock: ) above there, but to be fair to Lovell he did score some memorable goals in the history of the club although he was always a bit too much of a darling of the Southbank for no apparent reason other than being a local lad with a cheeky grin. He did, however, scores those two goals which beat McGhee in '97 and ripped the piss with the Fjortoft impression in '95 so deep down I will always have a soft spot for him really and grudgingly allow him his place in the hallowed RFC Hall of Legends :)

Readingfc50

by Readingfc50 » 04 Jun 2007 22:36

Cant remember it that well. But i do remember Sammy Igoes goal against Bury in a 4-1 win

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/140401.html

Also Conveys against Burnley deserves a mention