Martin Williams & others (a where are they now thread)

122 posts
A1ndy

by A1ndy » 30 Oct 2007 18:21

Archie's penalty Why was he nicknamed Skittles (was it because he fell over a lot)?

Best memory of Martin Williams was that goal away at Gillingham. He even had the bottle to a little shimmy in his run up to take the penalty, and it was the last kick of the game. I remember going mental after that went in.

http://www.wefc.co.uk/first/williams.asp

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Oct 2007 18:26

Jerry St Clair
Henleyensian I remember that match well. If think I am correct in saying it was the ffirst match of the millennium on 1st January 2000. I am pretty certain the it was the first match because I think it was at 1.00 or 1.30 p.m. In those days Gillingham were doing very well and we were really happy to come away with a draw.

2nd or 3rd of Jan, iirc.

Gillingham were in good form, so the equaliser was met with radio rental celebrations on the away end (which did wonders for my 3 day millenium hangover.
Indeed it was on the 3rd.

Great memories of covert celebrations as I sat behind the goal (but at the home end...there was only three sides to the ground then). Peter Taylor was in charge at the Gills and was being heralded as the new messiah. He indeed became England caretaker manager that year.

My last trip to Windsor & Eton was back in the very early nineties when it was Jerry (not Martin) Williams who was the ex Reading legend playing for them then.

Back to the Gills game, and to RR's "where are they now" bit, I recall a certain Andy Gurney putting their keeper (Vince Bartram?) under pressure with some powerful crosses from the right.........he's at Havant & Waterlooville now.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Oct 2007 18:40

Saw him score with a cracking header against Wycombe at their place. I cannot remember who won, the score or the year but it was wet and in October

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 30 Oct 2007 19:37

79Royal
SpaceCruiser The game where I first realised that Martin Williams was a better player than I thought he was, was at Barnsley in 1995 (I think, where we won 1-0). He was tricky and held up the ball well enough. However, I always thought he was a winger, until Terry Bullivant paired him up front with Asaba that he became a decent striker who could possibly score a lot of goals.

Anyone remember his brilliant strike against Blackpool at the Madejski Stadium during the dark days of Tommy Burns? Was this the game where Chris Casper got sent off and cost us two points?

Great strike and a hell of a goal. Don't remember Casper getting sent off though...

My favourite Reading goal of all time (That and Litas 2nd v WBA in FA Cup). Casper certainly did get sent off that evening, because the tackle that earnt him the 2nd yellow was right in front of me in the East/South stand corner....I was only up there because my Dad couldn't go, normally sit by East/North corner.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Oct 2007 20:22

SpaceCruiser The game where I first realised that Martin Williams was a better player than I thought he was, was at Barnsley in 1995 (I think, where we won 1-0). He was tricky and held up the ball well enough. However, I always thought he was a winger, until Terry Bullivant paired him up front with Asaba that he became a decent striker who could possibly score a lot of goals.

Anyone remember his brilliant strike against Blackpool at the Madejski Stadium during the dark days of Tommy Burns? Was this the game where Chris Casper got sent off and cost us two points?

Can't remember the game but I presume you're referring to Casper throwing away the ball when a throw in was given (or was it at the ref?) in the final moments and getting sent off. Which of course lead to the other team scoring from the throw in and winning the game.

I never ever forgave him for that piece of sheer idiocy.

Always liked Williams. A decent Division 1 striker IMO.

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 30 Oct 2007 20:33

He is still also a part of the Reading "Football in the community" scheme.....He does Coaching in schools all around Berkshire! Nickname to team mates was Willo when he was playing!

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 31 Oct 2007 08:00

Ian Royal

Can't remember the game but I presume you're referring to Casper throwing away the ball when a throw in was given (or was it at the ref?) in the final moments and getting sent off. Which of course lead to the other team scoring from the throw in and winning the game.

Great recall Ian, I'd forgotten about that. One of the most ridiculous pieces of football I've ever seen (and there were plenty that season).

Skittles was RUBBISH by the way.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 31 Oct 2007 09:19

Two memories:

My first ever game of any sought my dad took me to was at Stag Meadow to watch W&E reserves :oops: - as I behaved myself, a year later we went to a Reading game.

Skittles was the only player to come out with any credit from the thrashing at Millwall (5-0?) on a cold winter's night during Pardew's nadir. Ran his little socks off, unlike the rest of the gutless t*ssers who just rolled over.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Oct 2007 11:09

Best memory was his backheel away to Manc City @ Maine Road.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 31 Oct 2007 11:12

SWLR Two memories:

My first ever game of any sought my dad took me to was at Stag Meadow to watch W&E reserves :oops: - as I behaved myself, a year later we went to a Reading game.

Skittles was the only player to come out with any credit from the thrashing at Millwall (5-0?) on a cold winter's night during Pardew's nadir. Ran his little socks off, unlike the rest of the gutless t*ssers who just rolled over.

Exactly - that's why I liked him - he always tried. For three or four years none of our players gave a cr*p. Skittles did...

Skyline

by Skyline » 31 Oct 2007 12:31

Ian Royal

I'm pretty sure Spacey's got it right and we ended up drawing 1-1, rather than losing, but I do distinctly remember Casper getting sent off and them then scoring from the throw-in with pretty much the last kick of the game.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 31 Oct 2007 20:17

Where are they now?

http://www.btinternet.com/~rfc1871/watn/index.htm

Hasn't been updated for a while mind.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Oct 2007 20:59

Skyline
Ian Royal

I'm pretty sure Spacey's got it right and we ended up drawing 1-1, rather than losing, but I do distinctly remember Casper getting sent off and them then scoring from the throw-in with pretty much the last kick of the game.

Ahhh...it was for throwing the ball away.....well thats solved a 9 year old mystery! As I said earlier i thought it was for the tackle that led to the throw for blackpool. It was defo 1-1!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Nov 2007 20:16

I always likes skittles.

My main memory of him: at home against PNE with my PNE supporting mates. I predicted 2-2 and told them to watch out for skittles especially.

Half time, 2-0 down and they mockingly commented "Oh I suppose Martin T'Williams is gonna score two goals to make it 2-2 eh?"

Which is of course exactly what happened.

Never looked so smug, haha.

Thank you Martin Williams!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Nov 2007 20:21

2 world wars, 1 world cup I always likes skittles.

My main memory of him: at home against PNE with my PNE supporting mates. I predicted 2-2 and told them to watch out for skittles especially.

Half time, 2-0 down and they mockingly commented "Oh I suppose Martin T'Williams is gonna score two goals to make it 2-2 eh?"

But why was he called Skittles?

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 02 Nov 2007 10:42

Archie's penalty
2 world wars, 1 world cup I always likes skittles.

But why was he called Skittles?

:D I take it you never saw him play?

by 1960 » 02 Nov 2007 11:25

The Wycombe game ended up 3-2. Some interesting comment's from Graham's report on the game:

More of the same at the start of the second half until half way through Bernal, playing right wing-back, took a great run down the wing to deliver a spot-on cross to a determined Williams legging it through the middle into the box. Williams made no mistake with a superb header leaving the ball firmly in the back of the net. 3-1 to the Royals and it was looking safe

Then, oh how we were deluded:

Slowly Reading are getting better and better. Burns is slowly getting the team to play exactly how he wants it to be played.

And how far we have come since then (Oct 1998):

There were even chants of "We Are Going Up!" today. Strange but true.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 02 Nov 2007 11:35

I still remember the Notts County away game in Jan 1999 when we had the ordeal of hearing a few RFC fans roll out the Martin Williams song all game.

Still, nice to hear about past players and what they're up to nowadays.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Nov 2007 18:41

1960 The Wycombe game ended up 3-2. Some interesting comment's from Graham's report on the game:

More of the same at the start of the second half until half way through Bernal, playing right wing-back, took a great run down the wing to deliver a spot-on cross to a determined Williams legging it through the middle into the box. Williams made no mistake with a superb header leaving the ball firmly in the back of the net. 3-1 to the Royals and it was looking safe

Then, oh how we were deluded:

Slowly Reading are getting better and better. Burns is slowly getting the team to play exactly how he wants it to be played.

And how far we have come since then (Oct 1998):

There were even chants of "We Are Going Up!" today. Strange but true.

Thanks for that...I just remember his header as it was a screamer..I vguely remeber we won the game but my memory seems to be up the Swannie

Whistle

by Whistle » 02 Nov 2007 18:55

What happened to Adie Williams?

Last I heard of he was at Swindon at the start of last season - then what?

122 posts