Coppell "I'm due a break"

183 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Dec 2007 18:49

loyalroyal4life
winchester_royal
loyalroyal4life
winchester_royal right now i think coppell is losing it, his selection, subs and transfers have been poor, maybe a new manager would be better to take us forward.....

and who would you deem to be a better candidate to 'take us forward'

coppell has established his ways on the club since he arrived and stability is more important than change atm

no no no, stability means players like harper, murty, USA and Gunnar to carry on playing

the current set of players have taken us as far as possible,, and with some new players, a couple of youngsters (henry and pearce), and players such as Kits and Convey staying on to keep some fluidity we might just move forwards........

however i cannot see coppell doing this, if he does then great otherwise...maybe he needs a break

YES that is fair enough, agree that the PLAYERS have taken us far enough and i can see your point about coppell and his selection, think he relies on some sort of fact that he feels he 'owes' it to the players that they should play for helping get us promoted but fact of matter is he should get with the times and realise that these same players are inevitably likely to also be the players that get us related!!

I hope coppell can see this as I still think there is no better manager for us to be under in order to progress!!

if coppell can adapt then great, but i do worry, particuarly as he still thinks that gunnar is more deserving than fae and cisse for a starting place

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Dec 2007 18:49

loyalroyal4life to also be the players that get us related!!

Do I hear wedding bells?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Dec 2007 18:51

winchester_royal
loyalroyal4life
winchester_royal
loyalroyal4life
winchester_royal right now i think coppell is losing it, his selection, subs and transfers have been poor, maybe a new manager would be better to take us forward.....

and who would you deem to be a better candidate to 'take us forward'

coppell has established his ways on the club since he arrived and stability is more important than change atm

no no no, stability means players like harper, murty, USA and Gunnar to carry on playing

the current set of players have taken us as far as possible,, and with some new players, a couple of youngsters (henry and pearce), and players such as Kits and Convey staying on to keep some fluidity we might just move forwards........

however i cannot see coppell doing this, if he does then great otherwise...maybe he needs a break

YES that is fair enough, agree that the PLAYERS have taken us far enough and i can see your point about coppell and his selection, think he relies on some sort of fact that he feels he 'owes' it to the players that they should play for helping get us promoted but fact of matter is he should get with the times and realise that these same players are inevitably likely to also be the players that get us related!!

I hope coppell can see this as I still think there is no better manager for us to be under in order to progress!!

if coppell can adapt then great, but i do worry, particuarly as he still thinks that gunnar is more deserving than fae and cisse for a starting place

indeed thought there was more than an opportunity for cisse to come in today for gunnar

he definately needs to be changing things for next week even though i cant see it having much effect on the chances of us getting a point let alone 3

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 01 Dec 2007 18:51

If he thinks he is due a break, then he should resign.

Does he think that he is the best man for the job?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Dec 2007 18:58

Royal Lady If Copps goes and we got Pards or McGhee back, I wouldn't renew my season ticket.

Why not? Pards and McGhee are two of the best managers we've ever had.

You go back in our history and look at all the bad managers we've had - and boy, we have had some absolute crap - and yet nobody ever mentions those guys. Never.

Yet guys like Pards and McGhee - who we actually achieved some success with - get trashed all the time. They are at the top of our list of managers as far as getting the most criticism. Its very strange and very sad.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Dec 2007 19:19

Time off? He's been having that since the summer.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Dec 2007 19:21

Royalee Time off? He's been having that since the summer.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Dec 2007 19:23

The whole year inn If he thinks he is due a break, then he should resign.

Does he think that he is the best man for the job?
I'm inclined to agree. If he's serious, he should go now. He's a mood manager and when his mood is wrong, he can bring the whole team down with him.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Dec 2007 19:27

what he said about needing a break is disrespectful to the job IMO

if he needs a break then resign, and tbh he needs one, the only thing he seems to care about at the moment is keeping gunnar and USA happy, he didn't want to get into europe, he wont make exciting and big signings...

right now i want him to leave

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Dec 2007 19:31

You have to bear in mind, however, Winchester, that this interview could have been taken entirely out of context. I'd be very very surprised if he actually said those words verbatim - if he DID say this in this context, and I were Mr Mad, I'd be fuuuuming and shaking with anger. It will unsettle the players, not to mention putting off any prospective players we might want to sign in January.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 01 Dec 2007 19:33

That's a great article by Henry Winter and probably the most revealing thing I have ever read about Coppell. Thanks to the original poster.
It reads to me as, virtually, a resignation letter, if not now then sometime soon. I'm not that surprised. It also reads as an admission from a person who is seriously worried about their stress levels that in their own interests it's probably time to say bye bye to Reading.
I'm not quite sure where Steve is taking Reading and he clearly isn't enjoying the experience. He is of course a Reading legend and one of those rare things in football, a genuinely interesting person.

Cheers Steve,
enjoy the golf, and, thanks.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Dec 2007 19:34

Cripple Creek That's a great article by Henry Winter and probably the most revealing thing I have ever read about Coppell. Thanks to the original poster.
It reads to me as, virtually, a resignation letter, if not now then sometime soon. I'm not that surprised. It also reads as an admission from a person who is seriously worried about their stress levels that in their own interests it's probably time to say bye bye to Reading.
I'm not quite sure where Steve is taking Reading and he clearly isn't enjoying the experience. He is of course a Reading legend and one of those rare things in football, a genuinely interesting person.

Cheers Steve,
enjoy the golf, and, thanks.

good post, well said

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2007 19:36

No one could manage THIS team any better imo. LOL @ McGhee and Pardew's names being mentioned. That would be manager of Motherwell Murk Murkghee and Alan 'just lost again at home to Burnley this time' Pardew.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Dec 2007 19:38

Denver Royal
Royal Lady If Copps goes and we got Pards or McGhee back, I wouldn't renew my season ticket.

Why not? Pards and McGhee are two of the best managers we've ever had.

You go back in our history and look at all the bad managers we've had - and boy, we have had some absolute crap - and yet nobody ever mentions those guys. Never.

Yet guys like Pards and McGhee - who we actually achieved some success with - get trashed all the time. They are at the top of our list of managers as far as getting the most criticism. Its very strange and very sad.

Neither manager showed any loyalty to the club but in terms of success on the pitch they did terrifically well particularly McGhee as some of his signings were fantastic as was the type of football played at times.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Dec 2007 19:39

Neither McGhee or Pardew are Premiership managers imho.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2007 19:40

Royal Lady Neither McGhee or Pardew are Premiership managers imho.

You are of course quite right

McGhee is in the Scottish League

and

Pardew is in the Championship...for now...before he gets fired.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Dec 2007 19:42

Alan Partridge
Royal Lady Neither McGhee or Pardew are Premiership managers imho.

You are of course quite right

McGhee is in the Scottish League

and

Pardew is in the Championship...for now...before he gets fired.

Boom boom

(beat me to it)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Coppell "I'm due a break"

by RoyalBlue » 01 Dec 2007 19:42

Physci Article in today's telegraph on England etc including the following:
"I am looking very shortly at having some time off, I must admit. My first stint [at Crystal Palace] was nine years, bits here and there, then Brentford, Brighton, and four years here. I am probably due a break. I'd do what Paul Jewell has done, play a bit of golf, get out of the environment for a bit, and then try to re-educate. I'd love to go and watch all the top managers here and abroad."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/01/sfnwin101.xml

Not the best way to motivate a struggling team I would have thought!

When he's got us out of the shyte he maybe can talk about having a break. In the meantime, he and everyone else at the club needs to focus and work even harder.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Dec 2007 19:45

Alan Partridge No one could manage THIS team any better imo. LOL @ McGhee and Pardew's names being mentioned. That would be manager of Motherwell Murk Murkghee and Alan 'just lost again at home to Burnley this time' Pardew.
McGhee is (predictably) doing a superb job at Motherwell, because he is a very fine manager of modest talent. Half the fourteen players who turned out today were born within 5 miles of Fir Park and five more within 35 miles. So I wouldn't be sneering at a great success story and one that makes me envious of a real local club. However, there's nothing to suggest he can make it as a Premiership manager.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 01 Dec 2007 19:48

Some of the nonsence on this thread is unbelievable. Seriously, manager sites the pressures of football for wanting to take some time off, most probably not actually meaning now, and the majority of you tell him to pack his bags?! The guy is Readings most successful manager ever, I don't subscribe to all this Sir Steve, in Coppell we trust, stuff, however to say that we'd be better off without him really is bobbins.

For what it's worth I think that we are witnessing a transitional period for the club, similar to what Man Utd were going through for a few years before last season. There is some dead wood in the squad, unfortunatly most of the old guard who have served the club so well over the last few years fall into this category. January and next summer will see quite a few players shipped out i'm sure, however untill then we will have to put up with some below par performances. The players we have bought that currently are not getting a game are all under 23 (I think), in my eyes Coppell has seen that players like Gunnarsson and Hahnemann are good enough to keep us up so has bought for the future. Fae is a Harper replacement, Cisse a Gunnarsson and Rosenior a Murty replacement. Look out for a young right winger, Keeper and center back in January as the next players to be replaced will be Hahnemann, Little and Ingimarsson. If the above is all correct then this is a fairly solid foundation for long term progression.

183 posts