The end of the Championship Team

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 21:24

Gordons Cumming
Alan Partridge Good post DG, we all knew this day would come it has. We are here in 2008 with half of the team playing a league above where they should be. If you take kitson and Hunt out of that team i dread to think where we'd be.

It's time for change and it needs to start this month, and be finsihed in the summer. But for

Hahnemann
Murty
Sonko
could argue Convey
Shorey (he's leaving of his own accord)
Lita
Gunnarsson
and just about all of the back up players (the likes of Federici, Halls, Oster etc)

it's time folks. Thankyou very much for your efforts, but you aren't good enough anymore.

You know what, mate? You had the nerve to call me negative once.
:roll:

You're a disgrace.

This team is not dead yet.

That was when Reading were top of the league and about 40 points clear of 3rd place, in this teams prime.

Tell of the names i listed, who is good enough. don't count Shorey because he is going of his own accord, i'd like him here but he won't be.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Jan 2008 21:31

Alan Partridge
Gordons Cumming
Alan Partridge Good post DG, we all knew this day would come it has. We are here in 2008 with half of the team playing a league above where they should be. If you take kitson and Hunt out of that team i dread to think where we'd be.

It's time for change and it needs to start this month, and be finsihed in the summer. But for

Hahnemann
Murty
Sonko
could argue Convey
Lita
Gunnarsson
and just about all of the back up players (the likes of Federici, Halls, Oster etc)

it's time folks. Thankyou very much for your efforts, but you aren't good enough anymore.

You're a disgrace.

That was when Reading were top of the league and about 40 points clear of 3rd place, in this teams prime.

Tell of the names i listed, who is good enough. don't count Shorey because he is going of his own accord, i'd like him here but he won't be.

From your list I'd say that Murts, Sonko, Lita and probably Convey can all still be good enough to play a part in a half decent Premiership team.

Of that list Murts is the one that probably has the biggest mountain to climb in order to do so, purely because of his age. The others need to regain confidnence, fitness and/or form but they do have the ability.

Our problem is that we don't have alternatives to these players so that we can take them out of the firing line when they're out of form, or at least not alternatives our occassionally over cautious manager is willing to take a punt on.

We need better players, and a balanced side so that those players that are good enough can get on with their jobs. Currently they're getting exposed because we don't have enough throughout the side to carry a player on an off day.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Jan 2008 21:32

Southbank Old Boy
Alan Partridge
Gordons Cumming

Hahnemann
Murty
Sonko
could argue Convey
Lita
Gunnarsson

You're a disgrace.

From your list I'd say that Murts, Sonko, Lita and probably Convey can all still be good enough to play a part in a half decent Premiership team.

Of that list Murts is the one that probably has the biggest mountain to climb in order to do so, purely because of his age. The others need to regain confidnence, fitness and/or form but they do have the ability.

Our problem is that we don't have alternatives to these players so that we can take them out of the firing line when they're out of form, or at least not alternatives our occassionally over cautious manager is willing to take a punt on.

We need better players, and a balanced side so that those players that are good enough can get on with their jobs. Currently they're getting exposed because we don't have enough throughout the side to carry a player on an off day.

A good and fair minded post Southbank.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 02 Jan 2008 00:35

Agreed - I think the squad is thin and as a result, we cannot try alternatives when a player (or players) have a bad run.

Let's be honest about today - if we had tied or won, most here would have been (relatively) positive about the team. As it were, this loss was due to two horrible and obvious mistakes made by two players whose form has been called into question often these last few weeks.

I don't see the need for mass changes as much as good alternatives and yes some replacements.

BTW - thought Bikey made 2-3 excellent runs box to box (or close to that). I don't think he's a good long-term midfield attacking replacement, but it was nice to see that type of play for a change.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 02 Jan 2008 00:46

Forbury Lion Current first team players under contract may find themselves as squad players if we manage to bring in better players for their positions.

A right winger (or two), a central defender, a goalkeeper, possibly a midfielder and any other usefull players we might find.

It begs the same old question, that many seem to forget on here......

Are there any better players than the ones we already have that actually want to come to Reading?

Answer is... No, or very few.

Best we can hope for is players at the top end of championship level or aging pros from the prem...neither of which will please most people on this board.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 02 Jan 2008 01:29

PEARCEY

Hahnemann
Murty
Sonko
could argue Convey
Lita
Gunnarsson

Bit harsh AP.
In the cold light of day it never seems so bad as the disappointment felt straight after the game. I thought the team were dreadful against Boro and then we promptly beat Liverpool.
I would agree with you re Gunnarsson but the others are very debatable particularly Shorey(I think he will stay) and Convey who as with Sonko still needs time to get back to full speed.
Sonko is clearly struggling for pace(this was not so pre-injury). He was brought back into the team as some sort of saviour to combat the defensive woes already clearly evident. Its put a lot of pressure onto him especially having to play four Premiership games within ten days. That was too much to expect. He should have been rested today.
The team badly need strengthening in central midfield. That has been obvious all season. Why hasn't Bikey been given a chance? Too late now with the ANC coming up. A tough tackling, box to box player is desperately needed.
We need a commanding centre half as well..but so do a number of other Premiership clubs...and possibly a new keeper although Hanhemann may still be useful back-up.
Changes do need to be made but most of the players you mention still have a role to play, albeit in some instances from the bench.

IMO i think today proved beyond doubt that Bikey is better in midfield but in defence he can be a bit of a liability - some of his maruading runs were brilliant but being a defender it was a bit risky....tho to be fair to him he's not getting many games to be able to get better - i still think Bikke can be a regular in the first team but he needs games....if we get some new players, best to loan him to a champ team...however i agree he's not the long term answer to our midfield problem...i still reckon we'll get sidwell back - even if on loan

I wasnt impressed with Cisse but i guess he needs time to adapt to the speed of prem football - he did improve a bit in the 2nd half