RFC - a total shambles

414 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 21:09

Alan Partridge for the 1st time really I feel we could go down. Always felt there would be 3 worse teams and we'd be ok, finish about 5th or 6th from bottom but not so sure now.
Same here. If Sunderland get a result tomorrow, 18th place will have 20 from 22. So much for 35 being the new target. What worries me is that SC is a mood manager and his team always reflects that. We need a mood enhancer quickly.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 12 Jan 2008 21:14

Arch
Alan Partridge for the 1st time really I feel we could go down. Always felt there would be 3 worse teams and we'd be ok, finish about 5th or 6th from bottom but not so sure now.
Same here. If Sunderland get a result tomorrow, 18th place will have 20 from 22. So much for 35 being the new target. What worries me is that SC is a mood manager and his team always reflects that. We need a mood enhancer quickly.

An impact signing would do that. It's time to make an exception and open the checkbook.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 21:19

seahawk10
Arch

An impact signing would do that. It's time to make an exception and open the checkbook.
I'm sorry, seahawk, but I don't believe in impact signings. When you look at who's being signed around the league, other than Anelka, there's no one who's likely to have much more immediate impact that Matejovsky. Signing players is far more miss than hit, and I've never been able to see the point of view of those who think we can spend our way out of trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we need players in several positions, but I don't think you can just say "open the cheque book". The players who would be good for us, are going to be as hard to get as Hunt is for Sunderland. What are you going to do?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 12 Jan 2008 21:22

With Madejski offering very very low wages in terms of Premiership club structures - We have little to no chance of signing any quality players.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 21:28

West Stand Flash With Madejski offering very very low wages in terms of Premiership club structures - We have little to no chance of signing any quality players.
It doesn't matter. No one's signing impact players this window, apart from maybe Chelsea. If we could bring in someone who would have, say, Hunt's kind of influence on our team no doubt we would. But players like Hunt can't be bought, not even from cheapskate clubs like Reading.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Jan 2008 21:50

22 points from 22 games. By the end of January it's likely to be 22 points from 24 games. If so, that doesn't look good. It makes the next match, the 25th match, home to Bolton a "must win" for both actual and psychological/emotional reasons. Actual - we'll bleedin' well need 3 points by then; psychological - to miss out on 3 points at home to Bolton could affect morale terribly and see a worsening of our position. These are dangerous make-or-break times ahead. Lose to Bolton and we've had it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 21:52

Man Friday to miss out on 3 points at home to Bolton could affect morale terribly and see a worsening of our position.

Yes, I too fear that failure to pick up points may - and I emphasise may - lead to a worsening of our position :lol:

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 12 Jan 2008 21:54

Didn't read what Floyd wrote but

'greed

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 21:54

Man Friday Lose to Bolton and we've had it.
Wrong.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2008 21:55

Man Friday Lose to Bolton and we've had it.

What a stupid statement to make. One defeat does not end a season.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2008 21:58

No it doesn't, but add it to lots of others, including no away wins this season, as yet, and the future doesn't look exactly rosy (unless you wear RTGs of course)

Factfinder

Re: Reading Football Club - a total shambles

by Factfinder » 12 Jan 2008 21:59

floyd__streete Today was just as abysmal as I feared. It is frankly laughable for Coppell to be bleating about losing players to the African Nations Cup as if this was suddenly sprung on us like some cruel Jeremy Beadle set up. If we needed defensive cover it might just have been an idea to make some enquiries and put some wheels in motion a month or two ago mightn't it?

Today the players looked defeated and leaderless from the word go. We had not one player who looked in any way threatening to the Villa defence. Clearly not a very happy camp at the moment; these latest comments from the venerable Leroy sum up the malaise around the place at the moment http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/ ... ture.shtml

I am sure the RTG prozac brigade will point back to our win against Liverpool last month; one swallow can make for a pleasant evening but it certainly doesn't make a summer. Liverpool are an utter shambles anyway, even the likes of Wigan and Middlesbrough take points off them. Manchester United and Chelsea won't be so forgiving and I have as much enthusiasm for those two forthcoming defeats as I do for a trip to the dentist. I look forward to a string of superb January signings now to brighten up an otherwise pointless month :lol:

Jeez

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jan 2008 22:00

25% of the teams in the Premier League haven't got an away win - we're higher than the other 4.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2008 22:00

Losing in the Premiership > than losing in the Championship/Div 1/Div2

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jan 2008 22:01

Royal Lady No it doesn't, but add it to lots of others, including no away wins this season, as yet, and the future doesn't look exactly rosy (unless you wear RTGs of course)

Is anyone claiming things are rosy? No. What was the point of your post? Did it address anything at all to do with the subject under discussion - namely that losing against Bolton would mean we are relegated? No, I don't think it did.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 22:01

Reading Football Club - if Premier League teams were film budgets we'd be The Blair Witch Project.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 12 Jan 2008 22:02

floyd__streete Reading Football Club - if Premier League teams were film budgets we'd be The Blair Witch Project.
LOL

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading Football Club - a total shambles

by floyd__streete » 12 Jan 2008 22:03

Factfinder
floyd__streete Today was just as abysmal as I feared. It is frankly laughable for Coppell to be bleating about losing players to the African Nations Cup as if this was suddenly sprung on us like some cruel Jeremy Beadle set up. If we needed defensive cover it might just have been an idea to make some enquiries and put some wheels in motion a month or two ago mightn't it?

Today the players looked defeated and leaderless from the word go. We had not one player who looked in any way threatening to the Villa defence. Clearly not a very happy camp at the moment; these latest comments from the venerable Leroy sum up the malaise around the place at the moment http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/ ... ture.shtml

I am sure the RTG prozac brigade will point back to our win against Liverpool last month; one swallow can make for a pleasant evening but it certainly doesn't make a summer. Liverpool are an utter shambles anyway, even the likes of Wigan and Middlesbrough take points off them. Manchester United and Chelsea won't be so forgiving and I have as much enthusiasm for those two forthcoming defeats as I do for a trip to the dentist. I look forward to a string of superb January signings now to brighten up an otherwise pointless month :lol:

Jeez

Actually - thinking on it again, I see now that you are right and I am wrong. My apologies for taking up your time.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Jan 2008 22:04

If a win against Derby on the last day of the season would keep us up and we don't win, that result and that alone will be responsible for sending us down. Losing to Bolton might help put us in that situation, but it will not relegate us.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2008 22:04

Royal Rother
Royal Lady No it doesn't, but add it to lots of others, including no away wins this season, as yet, and the future doesn't look exactly rosy (unless you wear RTGs of course)

Is anyone claiming things are rosy? No. What was the point of your post? Did it address anything at all to do with the subject under discussion - namely that losing against Bolton would mean we are relegated? No, I don't think it did.
The point of my post, you patronising so-and-so, was to answer your point that one defeat doesn't mean relegation. I was merely pointing out that you are correct, but adding it to other defeats doesn't exactly make us certainties to stay up, if we keep getting results such as this and playing the way we have been. :roll:

414 posts