Why don't we just leave it here?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 15 Jan 2008 12:22

brendywendy
brendywendy
Man Friday
Hoop Blah I thought most of the 'negative' posters were being reasonably balanced and saying, words to the effect of, we have a good chance of being relegated if we carry on like we are and don't do something to add to the squad in this window.

That's been jumped on by many of the apologists and RTG's to the extent that views have been polarised so that you think we're fine and dandy or doomed to relegation. Dirk, your post just exemplifies how it's neigh on impossible to voice an opinion right now without it being pigeon holed into one camp or the other.

Personally, I keep trying to repeat my feeling that we are right in the midst of a serious relegation battle. The club needs to reinforce a woefully under strength squad in order to try and reduce the chance of relegation. I'm still of the opinion that I think we'll be unfortunate to go down because I think at least 3 teams will finish below us BUT with the addition of 2 or 3 players in the right positions who can step into and hopefully improve the side NOW we'll be in a better position to ensure we have more than 3 teams below us.

This place is getting more and more like a tabloid/x-factor type pantomime with all the instant polarisation of all posts.

Absolutely spot on - the whole posting. Reflects my views exactly.

i think people are upset by the implication that reading are not, and will not do anything else during the window that gets on most RTG peoples nerves. moan at the end of jan, & dont moan about made up stuff

not rational pointing out of problems and offering solutions
as can be seen on the badly titled "coppell is letting us down" thread
where they are mostly agreed with by us positive types

But to be fair Brendy. History clearly shows that people who say don't moan now, it's still the middle of the transfer window, we'll do stuff before it shuts. Have been wrong every single time.

thats rubbish, quite the opposite

we have done something during every window for at least three years
maybe you dont like them, or think they arent giving enough to the club, or are just not up to it
but we have bought every time

We buy crap though. That's the point.

Not signed a single in 2.5 years to that has improved the squad. Signed duds like Halford, Fae, Rosenior, Cisse.

It's not a case of me not liking who we sign, it's a simple case of them not being good enough.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2008 12:24

If we are to get players in in January who are expected to make a contribution to the Bolton game, shouldn't we be giving them a good chance to bed in?

The Bolton game is only 17 days away. Are we hoping Oster will be fit in time?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Jan 2008 12:26

Platypuss If we are to get players in in January who are expected to make a contribution to the Bolton game, shouldn't we be giving them a good chance to bed in?

The Bolton game is only 17 days away. Are we hoping Oster will be fit in time?

If we're relying on Oster, we really are in trouble!

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Re: Why don't we just leave it here?

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 15 Jan 2008 12:26

Dirk Gently After all, it's clear in the minds of many that we are absolutely certainties to be relegated, and as the whole club is such a "shambles" there's clearly no way we're going to get out of this mess. So why not just call it a day now?

Oi you!
Ive still got several games left on my Season Ticket. Im not a charity, you know.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 12:31

brendywendy
brendywendy
Man Friday
Hoop Blah I thought most of the 'negative' posters were being reasonably balanced and saying, words to the effect of, we have a good chance of being relegated if we carry on like we are and don't do something to add to the squad in this window.

That's been jumped on by many of the apologists and RTG's to the extent that views have been polarised so that you think we're fine and dandy or doomed to relegation. Dirk, your post just exemplifies how it's neigh on impossible to voice an opinion right now without it being pigeon holed into one camp or the other.

Personally, I keep trying to repeat my feeling that we are right in the midst of a serious relegation battle. The club needs to reinforce a woefully under strength squad in order to try and reduce the chance of relegation. I'm still of the opinion that I think we'll be unfortunate to go down because I think at least 3 teams will finish below us BUT with the addition of 2 or 3 players in the right positions who can step into and hopefully improve the side NOW we'll be in a better position to ensure we have more than 3 teams below us.

This place is getting more and more like a tabloid/x-factor type pantomime with all the instant polarisation of all posts.

Absolutely spot on - the whole posting. Reflects my views exactly.

i think people are upset by the implication that reading are not, and will not do anything else during the window that gets on most RTG peoples nerves. moan at the end of jan, & dont moan about made up stuff

not rational pointing out of problems and offering solutions
as can be seen on the badly titled "coppell is letting us down" thread
where they are mostly agreed with by us positive types

But to be fair Brendy. History clearly shows that people who say don't moan now, it's still the middle of the transfer window, we'll do stuff before it shuts. Have been wrong every single time.

thats rubbish, quite the opposite

we have done something during every window for at least three years
maybe you dont like them, or think they arent giving enough to the club, or are just not up to it
but we have bought every time

We buy crap though. That's the point.

Not signed a single in 2.5 years to that has improved the squad. Signed duds like Halford, Fae, Rosenior, Cisse.

It's not a case of me not liking who we sign, it's a simple case of them not being good enough.

it wasnt the point you said people say every year to be patient the window is still open, then the club lets us down and doesnt sign anyone
and im just pointing out that we have,every year, breaking transfer records for promising young players, they just havent made an impact yet
they were for the future, becuase coppell rightly believed in our 1st team for this season, who had done him proud for three years, now he may feel different due to poor results and performances
and is now looking at more established prem players to bring in

im just saying it seems odd to moan now about the possibility of not signing anyone, when there are still 2 weeks left

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Jan 2008 12:36

Dirk Gently Why not ask the Premier League to let us end the season here and allow us to be relegated straight away. That'll make it a lot quicker and easier and save us all time.

After all, it's clear in the minds of many that we are absolutely certainties to be relegated, and as the whole club is such a "shambles" there's clearly no way we're going to get out of this mess. So why not just call it a day now? Especially as people are going to hit the negativity button so much more when we lose the next two matches - the odds are that we will, but we've known that all along, so what's changed? Just like it was always extremely likely that we'd lose at Villa.

When I looked outside my window this morning all I saw were butterflies flapping care-free in the warm Spring sunshine, a lamb chasing her playful brother around a field, and an apple tree blossoming in the orchard. When I went outside this morning I smelt coffee, the scent travelling all the way from the fields of Brazil, and as I inhaled slowly, little rascal Tom, the paper-boy dropped The Times at my feet. “Morning, mister!â€

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2008 12:42

cmonurz
Dirk Gently Why not ask the Premier League to let us end the season here and allow us to be relegated straight away. That'll make it a lot quicker and easier and save us all time.

After all, it's clear in the minds of many that we are absolutely certainties to be relegated, and as the whole club is such a "shambles" there's clearly no way we're going to get out of this mess. So why not just call it a day now? Especially as people are going to hit the negativity button so much more when we lose the next two matches - the odds are that we will, but we've known that all along, so what's changed? Just like it was always extremely likely that we'd lose at Villa.

When I looked outside my window this morning all I saw were butterflies flapping care-free in the warm Spring sunshine, a lamb chasing her playful brother around a field, and an apple tree blossoming in the orchard. When I went outside this morning I smelt coffee, the scent travelling all the way from the fields of Brazil, and as I inhaled slowly, little rascal Tom, the paper-boy dropped The Times at my feet. “Morning, mister!â€

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Jan 2008 12:44

I think in all but a few cases, DG, fans on here are saying exactly the same as you. That there is a real danger of relegation, unless x happens and y happens. Your post insinuates that this board is rife with ‘Coppell out’, and ‘we are already down’, when it isn’t at all.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Jan 2008 12:50

Dirk Gently But from the tone of many on here they are utterly insurmoutable problems and we're down already. For them the glass isn't half empty - it's lying on the floor having been smashed into pieces and jumped on by a small elephant.

Chrissake, how many more times. Read Hoop Blah's post. Most fans are saying it's not looking good and saying we're in trouble unless we do X or Y or Z. They're not saying we're down regardless. To me this is very positive. Read the posts (carefully). they're giving their views on what should be done to improve our chances of avoiding relegation. Giving views is the whole point of a forum.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 15 Jan 2008 12:53

It's sport. Some people win some people lose. When you lose you just try and win again next week. If you finish near the bottom and drop down a division then you just weren't good enough and you give it a good go the following season to get back up again.

If we get relegated then I will be dissapointed but I will accept that that is how it goes in sport, happens to numerous teams every season.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2008 12:53

When people are calling for "Coppell out" and when someone is caling the club "a total shambles" I'm not so sure.

Yes there are certainly some on here who are completely and utterly defeatist - and I can tell there's lots of others who will be more than happy to jump on the defeatist bandwagon when we don't get any points from the next 2 games (as we won't, of course!). And this can only be self-fulfilling!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 Jan 2008 12:55

Personally, I think it would be better if the counter-argument that "its all fine" could be expressed in a way that encourages debate rather than a complete denial that there might be a problem or that "we've never had it so good".

Just me, I guess.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2008 12:57

s I said yesterday, ther's got to be a mid=point between the extremes of "total shambles" and "no problems."

We're there but the few who are happy to nail their flag to that mast are minimal.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 15 Jan 2008 13:01

Dirk Gently As I said yesterday, ther's got to be a mid=point between the extremes of "total shambles" and "no problems."

We're there but the few who are happy to nail their flag to that mast are minimal.

All that requires is for those slightly to the "shambles" side to make their views of "its a shambles" posts as clear as their views of "no problems".

And vice versa.

If you genuinely don't think that we should be happy and there are no problems, then posts like the one at head of this are both fishing and utterly counter-productive as all they'll do is infuriate everyone one side of the divide, regardless of the strength of their feelings.

And, as a few people have said throughout and it gets ignored every time, I don't think its the defeats per se that are the problem. Its the manner in which we are being defeated.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2008 13:02

Dirk Gently s I said yesterday, ther's got to be a mid=point between the extremes of "total shambles" and "no problems."

I think that wrong. I think most are in that middle band. Some are suggesting solutions and possibly criticising the club/Coppell for the short comings that have created the problems, but they're still pretty much in the camp of "we can easily pull out of this" and not "we're doomed end the season now" that you seem to be placing everyone.

I guess it somes down to an individuals perspective, and we're quite used to your perspective being that the club can do, and has done, no wrong (that's not meact to place you in with the others in the "smelling of roses" pigeon hole).

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2008 13:11

Dirk Gently When people are calling for "Coppell out" and when someone is caling the club "a total shambles" I'm not so sure.

Who has seriously said "Coppell out"? Name (and shame) and quote.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Jan 2008 13:11

Dirk Gently s I said yesterday, ther's got to be a mid=point between the extremes of "total shambles" and "no problems."

With respect, I think you're missing the point again. It's not important that we don't all take the middle view. In fact it's good that we don't - how boring would that be? As papereyes said, what is needed are views (whichever side) expressed in such a way that encourages debate i.e. are well-argued.
Last edited by Man Friday on 15 Jan 2008 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2008 13:12

Platypuss
Dirk Gently When people are calling for "Coppell out" and when someone is caling the club "a total shambles" I'm not so sure.

The twelve who voted "Yes" in that poll.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 15 Jan 2008 13:14

I might go and vote yes now, just to annoy Spacey.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2008 13:14

SpaceCruiser
Platypuss

The twelve who voted "Yes" in that poll.

Please try again. I asked for names and quotes.