Who should be captain if Murts is dropped?

Who should be captain if Murts is dropped?

Ingi
16%
Harps
23%
Duberry
3%
Hahnemann
1%
Hunty
39%
Sonks
2%
Shorey
2%
Kitson
13%

Total votes: 92
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Who should be captain if Murts is dropped?

by Alan Partridge » 25 Feb 2008 16:33

readingbedding I don't think talking about who should be the next captain of Reading FC will change anything.
In fact I don't think that changing the captain would achieve anything on its own either.

Think the clue is in the thread title 'if Murts is dropped' and there should be a chance of that happening, then someone has to be captain instead of him. :P

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 25 Feb 2008 16:43

Of that list there are only 3, in my opinion, that should be close to 100% sure of their place in the starting 11 - Hunt, Shorey and Kitson, all of which I think could captain on any given day. Of those I think Kitson has the best blend of passion and ability to understand what is going on in the game.

I just think he's better equipped than any other to get the other players doing the right thing on the pitch (which is about both reading the game and communication skills) - and he's certainly not afraid to tell them!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Feb 2008 17:02

I don't think Kitson is the right type of character to captain our side.

He's too much of a maverick.

Ivar, Harper or Hunt in that order would replace Murty, if he is dropped, and rightly so.

I'd imagine all three command the respect of their team mates and are close to the manager ear.

It shouldn't really matter who wears the armband though, leadership should come out wether their skipper or not. Unfortunately it does appear that we lack a bit of leadership through the team.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Feb 2008 17:04

Just do what Torquay do and rotate it when Woods doesn't play. Everyone is captain for a day each week! :mrgreen:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 25 Feb 2008 17:15

Hoop Blah I don't think Kitson is the right type of character to captain our side.

He's too much of a maverick.

Ivar, Harper or Hunt in that order would replace Murty, if he is dropped, and rightly so.

I'd imagine all three command the respect of their team mates and are close to the manager ear.

It shouldn't really matter who wears the armband though, leadership should come out wether their skipper or not. Unfortunately it does appear that we lack a bit of leadership through the team.

I think you're right about Kitson Hoop Blah. He would get angry for no reason at players at times. At other times he would shout to much at people when they need to be shouted at. Hunty is a little raw as well to be captain imho. That leaves Ingi and Harper. I'm really not sure which one of the two I would choose...

btw I picked Duberry but as I'm not sure how much he will be playing, maybe I should change my vote...
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 25 Feb 2008 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Feb 2008 17:16

Give the armband to Lita, if we're going to change half the team it might benefit his performances on the pitch if he thinks he's the guvnor.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Feb 2008 17:16

Forbury Lion Give the armband to Lita, if we're going to change half the team it might benefit his performances on the pitch if he thinks he's the guvnor.

I could just see Lita get an armband with diamonds in it and the letters written out in gold. 8)

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 25 Feb 2008 18:02

Just keeping this up the top. I'm genuinely interested in the results...

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 25 Feb 2008 18:26

Hunty's more than a bit raw, and I reckon it'd be too much for him. He's hardly the ambassadorial type, nor one for speeches. Whilst that might not matter, I'm more worried that he might start to over commit in tackles and actually become what some others think he is - i.e. a bit of a nutter.

Kits seems to have lost it a bit since his driving thing - maybe it's dented his self image, as he clearly likes to be seen as thoughtful, modern and not-really-a-footballer-like-these-other-goons. And I agree with whoever said he might get a bit shouty.

Harps has enough on his plate. Never settled post Sidders, has enough responsibility doing his own job.

So Ingi for me. Calm, solid.

For my money it's a non-debate. I can't see SC canning the captain. That's like running up a white flag. The changes will be elsewhere.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 25 Feb 2008 18:49

Tommy Youlden's Ears Hunty's more than a bit raw, and I reckon it'd be too much for him. He's hardly the ambassadorial type, nor one for speeches. Whilst that might not matter, I'm more worried that he might start to over commit in tackles and actually become what some others think he is - i.e. a bit of a nutter.

Kits seems to have lost it a bit since his driving thing - maybe it's dented his self image, as he clearly likes to be seen as thoughtful, modern and not-really-a-footballer-like-these-other-goons. And I agree with whoever said he might get a bit shouty.

Harps has enough on his plate. Never settled post Sidders, has enough responsibility doing his own job.

So Ingi for me. Calm, solid.

For my money it's a non-debate. I can't see SC canning the captain. That's like running up a white flag. The changes will be elsewhere.

I think that having Murty anywhere on the pitch is running up the white flag.

Its a bit like the moment when you realise your old worn out favourite dog needs the last trip to the vets. Difficult but oh so necessary

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 25 Feb 2008 19:02

I feel for Murts as time is catching him up, no diubt he gives his all in matches, but sadly that is not enough, if we do drop him then Hunty has to be the choice 100% effort every match and would keep others on thier toes.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 25 Feb 2008 19:06

Archie's penalty Ok everyone. Who should be the captain if Murts is dropped?

Harps gives his all for the team - perhaps he could shout people into submission? Should Kitson be given more responsibility? Ingi, Hahnemann and Doobs could all provide leadership from the back.

Hunty was a good captain in the cup and would sure shout at people.

Could Shorey do a job?

duberry harps and ingi shouldn't be options on the poll as they shouldn't even be in the squad!
Hunty for me though :mrgreen:

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 25 Feb 2008 19:19

I don't think Murty will be dropped in all honesty. He played well on Sunday and was one of a few who went into every challenge for the ball no not shying away from it.

If he is dropped then maybe harps or hunt will get the nod as they have in previous games

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 25 Feb 2008 19:24

Geekins I don't think Murty will be dropped in all honesty. He played well on Sunday and was one of a few who went into every challenge for the ball no not shying away from it.

If he is dropped then maybe harps or hunt will get the nod as they have in previous games

Bloody hell if thats playing well I would hate to see him have an off day. Would have stopped the first goal if he could have jumped higher than two inches. Second goal he was still in their half as Harwood blasted the ball into the net from the position he was supposed to be covering.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Feb 2008 19:33

Well it can only really be a choice out of Hunty and Kits really.

I mean Ivar and Harps have both been poor and are both more subjected to being dropped compared to the other 2

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 25 Feb 2008 21:14

Well I voted Harps.
But thinking about it, Hunt as captain would be a laugh as he'd just hack everyone else off.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2008 21:28

Other than toss for ends what do you blokes really think is so important about being a captain?
We shouldn't just have one leader on the pitch,there should be 11 committed players who don't need some big mouth shouting at them-we already have one Wally.
What is it with English sports fans and English people in general that we have this fixation about leaders?
Have a look at Life of Brian to realise that relying on a captain/leader is pointless,gives players/people a chance to blame somebody else and is an abdication of personal responsibility.
With our motley crew of nationalities I presume that the best linguist should be captain as he could explain which way we are kicking,something which some of our players seem uncertain about at the moment.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Feb 2008 11:28

Victor Meldrew Other than toss for ends what do you blokes really think is so important about being a captain?
We shouldn't just have one leader on the pitch,there should be 11 committed players who don't need some big mouth shouting at them-we already have one Wally.
What is it with English sports fans and English people in general that we have this fixation about leaders?
Have a look at Life of Brian to realise that relying on a captain/leader is pointless,gives players/people a chance to blame somebody else and is an abdication of personal responsibility.
With our motley crew of nationalities I presume that the best linguist should be captain as he could explain which way we are kicking,something which some of our players seem uncertain about at the moment.

In general I think you're right Victor, the role a captain players is over emphasised and it's mainly a media/motivation/organisational role on a day to day basis. On the pitch it shouldn't make too much difference who has the armband.

Sometimes though you need a leader to show a bit of authority and to dictate a bit to the rest of the team. Yes that can and should come from the bench, but it can also come from the skipper at times too and they have the advantage of being in the thick of things. True this can come from anyone on the pitch but too many cooks spoil the broth, and the skipper should be the managers mouth piece on the pitch.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 26 Feb 2008 11:34

Geekins I don't think Murty will be dropped in all honesty. He played well on Sunday and was one of a few who went into every challenge for the ball no not shying away from it.

But he did go missing in midfield when they broke away for the second goal, leaving Harewood unmarked and free to place the ball beyond Hahnemann. In his defence though, he was limping from a challenge.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 11:45

It seems like the popular choice is Hunty. Interesting to see Harper shading Inga when many people have been calling for him to be dropped!

I am very interested to see if Murts is in the team on sat...