Top Three Matches watched

Wealdstone at home

Re: Top Three Matches watched

by Wealdstone at home » 31 Mar 2008 11:09

taipeiroyal Was anyone else at the game where we beat promotion rivals Tranmere Rovers 5-0 with classic goals from Robin Friday and John Murray. I can't remmber the year but it must have been about 1975 and famous for the referee who was a Div 1 ref holding his head in disbelief after Friday's goal.
Along with that I have to go along with RFC 4 Plymouth 3 and playoff loss to Bolton.

For more recent games I really enjoyed the 2-2 draw at Chelsea,
http://www.markyd60.co.uk/home/chelsea/chelpage.html

the 3-2 defeat up in Newcastle(amazing atmosphere) from last season and the away win at Plymouth in the championship with Blakey's unbelievable goal. That was also memorable because I spent the weekend down in Dartmoor and it was snowing.
http://www.markyd60.co.uk/home/plymouth/plymouth.html

Sign me up for RTG membership! I too believe we are living the dream. Reading in the premiership? The stick I have received over the years for supporting a "small, crap team" just makes it feel all the better.

Another 'nearly included' The Tranmere game - a must win game in a season which marked the first success in my time as a Reading Fan - I was 12 years old and you're right Fridays goal was extra -ordinary - so much so that there was actually a stunned silence for a second before the usual raptures after it hit the net!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2008 11:10

Another one that springs to mind (apologies if already mentioned before) is the League Cup win over McGhee's Wolves in October 98.

Superb match, a packed crowd at EP and 3/4 of them hating McGhee - never before or since have I heard such passion from so many for so long. McGhee was under real pressure to get a result to survive in his job, and the crowd were determined to get him the sack that night.

4-2 in the end, with our first coming from Aidie Williams (OG) and then a minute later Parky scored with a screamer from about 40 yards, ISTR.

Definitely one of the matches which made Elm Park special to me. And then only a week or so later we had a 3-3 draw with Forest in front of the cameras which was pretty special, too. Despite us going down, I really enjoyed that 97/98 season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Mar 2008 11:20

Dirk Gently Another one that springs to mind (apologies if already mentioned before) is the League Cup win over McGhee's Wolves in October 98.

Superb match, a packed crowd at EP and 3/4 of them hating McGhee - never before or since have I heard such passion from so many for so long. McGhee was under real pressure to get a result to survive in his job, and the crowd were determined to get him the sack that night.

4-2 in the end, with our first coming from Aidie Williams (OG) and then a minute later Parky scored with a screamer from about 40 yards, ISTR.

Definitely one of the matches which made Elm Park special to me. And then only a week or so later we had a 3-3 draw with Forest in front of the cameras which was pretty special, too. Despite us going down, I really enjoyed that 97/98 season.

my favourite season as a fan growing up
superb atmospheres to games, some great results, and some of my favourite reading players,
in fact i still cant believe we went down

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 31 Mar 2008 11:26

Dirk Gently Another one that springs to mind (apologies if already mentioned before) is the League Cup win over McGhee's Wolves in October 98.

James lambert's goal :o :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Mar 2008 11:27

Wealdstone at home

one of my all time favourites, stood right in line with his run and shot
was that the same game as the steve stone 3yrd miss?

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 31 Mar 2008 11:32

brendywendy
Wealdstone at home

Yes and I believe the same season as Steve Bruce's one yard miss for man Ure :!:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2008 11:36

brendywendy
Wealdstone at home

Yes, and Beasant getting sent off when Skittles stood on his foot and he lifted it up,. sending Skittles flying. I was sat just behind where Beasant was being interviewed for Sky - don't think I've ever seen anyone quite so livid!

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 31 Mar 2008 11:41

1st : 31st Jan 2006 - Reading 4 - 0 Norwich
2nd: 16th May 2001 - Reading 2 - 1 Wigan
3rd: 19th August 2006 - Reading 3 - 2 Middlesborough

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 31 Mar 2008 11:43

Wasn't the game voted as Sky's top game of the season? I also remember Linvoy Primus's header - a bullet - and yes Beasant and wasn't Dave Bassett the manager at the time - it might explain why he's always anti Royals when he is 'punditting' on TV

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 31 Mar 2008 11:49

Shirley we were playing at the Mad Stad in October 98 :wink:

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 31 Mar 2008 12:01

dean horrix legend

97/98 - Elm Park 98/99 - Mad Stad (I can't find a smug smilie)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2008 12:04

dean horrix legend

Typo - it was October of the 97/98 season.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 31 Mar 2008 12:07

Wealdstone at home
dean horrix legend

97/98 - Elm Park 98/99 - Mad Stad (I can't find a smug smilie)

What is there to be smug about - October 97 = Elm Park,October 98 = Mad Stad,still ,a couple of cracking games but not in my top three!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Mar 2008 19:48

taipeiroyal Was anyone else at the game where we beat promotion rivals Tranmere Rovers 5-0 with classic goals from Robin Friday and John Murray. I can't remmber the year but it must have been about 1975 and famous for the referee who was a Div 1 ref holding his head in disbelief after Friday's goal.
Along with that I have to go along with RFC 4 Plymouth 3 and playoff loss to Bolton.

For more recent games I really enjoyed the 2-2 draw at Chelsea,
http://www.markyd60.co.uk/home/chelsea/chelpage.html

the 3-2 defeat up in Newcastle(amazing atmosphere) from last season and the away win at Plymouth in the championship with Blakey's unbelievable goal. That was also memorable because I spent the weekend down in Dartmoor and it was snowing.
http://www.markyd60.co.uk/home/plymouth/plymouth.html

Sign me up for RTG membership! I too believe we are living the dream. Reading in the premiership? The stick I have received over the years for supporting a "small, crap team" just makes it feel all the better.

The ref was the only and only Clive Thomas who apparently applauded Friday's goal.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Mar 2008 19:53

Yes I was at that Wolves game when Parky scorced from distance and poor old Adie had a mare...
I wasn't at the Forest game but saw it on tv and remember James Lambert scoring a superb, mazy individual goal and Linvoy Primus scoring
from a corner

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 31 Mar 2008 20:29

good memories on here with many from my favourite era (75-77). BHA 2-3 was a great night indeed.

my three:

same season H v Swindon 4-1

Promotion at Leicester 25/03/06

Tranmere 5-0 (the Friday goal obviously, but also becasue Tranmere were our nearet rivals for promotion and we were just coming out of a terrible run)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 31 Mar 2008 21:19

Spot on, I started watching Reading back end of 96/97, and so these two games were amogst the first I saw as a Reading fan, both spectacular, and as you say, the bile and passion directed at McGhee was incredible. Plus the Forest game saw THAT Lambert goal, the dodgy pen, and Linvoy's bullet equaliser.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 31 Mar 2008 21:37

Lots of great memories from the games so many of you have mentioned. I missed the Wolves league cup game in 78 as I was on holiday but bought all the papers the next day. The Pompey game and Southampton matches from that season were great.

So many superb memories from Championship-winning season. Plymouth away was superb. 'We're just too good for you!' sung heartily. And the realisation that we were virtually promoted already after hitting 50 points in November! But Tranmere away in 95 play-off season is my number 1. Played them off the park. Saturday against Blackburn another highlight ... not the greatest game, admittedly, but I saw my baby boy's 'official brick' on the back of the North Stand for the first time. A proud moment!

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 31 Mar 2008 22:06

Too many great memories to keep it down to just 3, so my top 6 are:

31/3/76 Reading 5 Tranmere 0 (promotion season)
16/4/79 Reading 4 Aldershit 0 (promotion season)
12/5/84 Hartlepool 3 Reading 3 (promotion season)
14/5/95 Tranmere 1 Reading 3 (should have been promotion season)
31/1/06 Reading 4 Norwich 0 (promotion season)
1/1/07 Reading 6 West Ham 0 (nowhere left to be promoted to!)

namroyal

by namroyal » 31 Mar 2008 22:24

Wealdstone at home Top three games ever - (had to be there for it to count) - 3) Wolves (Home - League Cup - 1978) - we were then in Div Four - Wolves in top division - Pat Earles winner - first time in my life we had become genuine giant killers and it was great! 2) Pompey (Home - Div Four - 1979) - during our amazing run of clean sheets (during which we hammered second placed Grimsby 4-0 and 5th placed Aldershot 4-0) and our sprint to the championship - we beat Pompey in front of 15,000 at a rocking Elm Park - 2-0 - with a very classy George Shipley scoring one of them I believe - it was heaven - rather like 05/06 in the Championship - the team of 1978/79 took the piss out of the league they were in. Number One - beating Liverpool this season. I always dreamed (but never really believed) that URRZZ would meet Liverpool (My boyhood heroes-the benchmark for english football) in the league one day - and give them a good game. We didn't just beat them but we won comfortably. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I took a good look around when the ball was out of play and Gerrard was being substituted - the Reds fans were raging - our team were calm and focussed(Because of our genious boss) - dreams come true - and Harps goal was an absolute gem. We are living the dreams of many years - long may it continue :lol:

f*ck off newbie :wink: