Are we overlooking something??

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are we overlooking something??

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2008 13:34

Hugo Boss Is it me, or did things start going down hill after that new Sports Scientist bloke was brought in to replace Jon Goodman?? Could it be that some of the players didn't agree with his methods?? I think i'm right in saying that the guy doesn't even have a footballing background.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2008 13:36

Alan Partridge It also doesn't help when we run the furthest out of all the teams in the league according to ProZone, why? Because we played the majority of the games without the ball and why's that? Because our players as a group weren't good enough for the Premier League.

That's probably a better reason rather than 'sports scientist' fault.

What he said. Technique >>>>>>>>>> running around chasing the ball.

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 14 May 2008 13:46

Vision
Chillitsphil It is a fair comment - in previous years we have looked fit and have scored numerous late goals (often a sign of fitness - Bolton away springs to mind). This year we looked tired in games and we stopped running conceeding late - Man City, trying to think of some others but i'm sure there are. It is probably partially down to the players (missing Sidwell's energy) but there might be something in this one.

Late late winners against Boro,Wigan and Sunderland as well as late consolations against Villa x2 & Pompey just off the top of my head suggest that it isn't the case.

Point taken. Perhaps the sports scientist wasn't to blame, but it was worth thinking about considering the praise that was lauded on Niall Clark and Jon Goodman who imho really made a difference.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 14 May 2008 13:54

I think the original point has a decent enough basis but as has also been pointed out, no sports scientist in the world is going to help you out if your principal tactic is to get the ball out wide to Oster or hoof it up to Shane Long

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 May 2008 13:58

Alan Partridge
Chillitsphil It is a fair comment - in previous years we have looked fit and have scored numerous late goals (often a sign of fitness - Bolton away springs to mind). This year we looked tired in games and we stopped running conceeding late - Man City, trying to think of some others but i'm sure there are. It is probably partially down to the players (missing Sidwell's energy) but there might be something in this one.

It also doesn't help when we run the furthest out of all the teams in the league according to ProZone, why? Because we played the majority of the games without the ball and why's that? Because our players as a group weren't good enough for the Premier League.

That's probably a better reason rather than 'sports scientist' fault.

Well, at least they're fit.

WJ is right and he made me smile. Thanks

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 14 May 2008 14:09

I've mentioned before that since Clark left we've seen to suffer from more and more injuries and they seem to take a lot longer to come back from them too.

I know Fearn is probably more responsilby for the treatment and rehabilitation, and we've had a couple of serious injuries such as Sonko, but the condidtioning of our players was always praised and built up as a contributory factor in our results and a lack of injuries.

I certainly think its been the case that we've not looked as fit a side since Clark left.

Was Goodman sacked? We'll never really know. The corporate line was that he was concentrating on his own consultancy business but that's possibly just the same kind of bullshit you hear when a senior exec gets the elbow in any industry. I don't think it helped that there were a few months between Goodman leaving and the current bloke serving his gardening leave and starting work here.

Still, our squad was too small and the players not quite good enough. That was the main problem.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 14 May 2008 15:23

floyd__streete
Hugo Boss Is it me, or did things start going down hill after that new Sports Scientist bloke was brought in to replace Jon Goodman?? Could it be that some of the players didn't agree with his methods?? I think i'm right in saying that the guy doesn't even have a footballing background.

ALOL!!

Only throwing things into the mixer Floyd and only going by things i've seen / heard / noticed.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 14 May 2008 15:47

have been saying this guy is not as good for ages, ex army i thought?

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 14 May 2008 19:16

Are we talking about the guy who takes the warm-ups, Kunle Odetiyinbo (sp) is his name I think?

Wouldn't put this theory to his face would you? :lol: Having seen him in the warm-up, my theory is the players are knackered by the end of it as they run at 100 mph just to avoid him giving them a bollocking. I know I would!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 May 2008 19:31

earleyroyal Are we talking about the guy who takes the warm-ups, Kunle Odetiyinbo (sp) is his name I think?

Wouldn't put this theory to his face would you? :lol: Having seen him in the warm-up, my theory is the players are knackered by the end of it as they run at 100 mph just to avoid him giving them a bollocking. I know I would!

Our fitness coach is black?!!??

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 14 May 2008 21:10

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 32,00.html

Nothing to do with his skin colour, but the fact I've seen narrower trees than his legs and the way he glares intently at each player doing their drills in the warm up.

Just to clear that up :wink:

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 15 May 2008 08:11

bring back Jon Gorman was it?something like that, i know he left of his own accord, but maybe he fancies another go?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 15 May 2008 08:24

earleyroyal http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ManagementProfiles/0,,10306~1150832,00.html

Nothing to do with his skin colour, but the fact I've seen narrower trees than his legs and the way he glares intently at each player doing their drills in the warm up.

Just to clear that up :wink:

They are rather large arn't they! :lol:

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 15 May 2008 08:52

Yes, whilst not wishing to knock the magnificent achievement of Coppell to get us in to the Premiership, last season's fantastic achievement, and the 'Please stay Steve' brigade, in the cold light of day he got us relegated and is not a legend. Robin Friday, George Best are legends, Coppell is not

He is dithering over his future just like he ditherered in both transfer windows. He changes tactics abysmally after we shipped shed loads of goals at Pompey and Spurs. The high tempo game disappeared, the full backs stopped overlapping and the midfield was by passed,

He stayed too loyal and for too long to his Championship favourites. He is afraid to give youth a chance and instead shipped out a load of our promising youngsters out on loan.

he tried to disguise some of his appalling signings by shipping them out on loan as well

He joked that he didn't want us to get in to Europe last season, the press believed him, the fans believed him and then after the Blackburn game he said the opposite.

He does not take any of the cup competitions seriously when we could have been where Pompey and Cardiff are if we had played our best team.

He didn't spend any money when things were clearly wrong, even when the Chairman said money was available to spend. The list goes on

Coppell, certainly not a legend in my book. Three relegations from the top flight and a history of bottling it when the going gets tough.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 May 2008 09:39

Tilehurst Mike Yes, whilst not wishing to knock the magnificent achievement of Coppell to get us in to the Premiership, last season's fantastic achievement, and the 'Please stay Steve' brigade, in the cold light of day he got us relegated and is not a legend. Robin Friday, George Best are legends, Coppell is not

He is dithering over his future just like he ditherered in both transfer windows. He changes tactics abysmally after we shipped shed loads of goals at Pompey and Spurs. The high tempo game disappeared, the full backs stopped overlapping and the midfield was by passed,

He stayed too loyal and for too long to his Championship favourites. He is afraid to give youth a chance and instead shipped out a load of our promising youngsters out on loan.

he tried to disguise some of his appalling signings by shipping them out on loan as well

He joked that he didn't want us to get in to Europe last season, the press believed him, the fans believed him and then after the Blackburn game he said the opposite.

He does not take any of the cup competitions seriously when we could have been where Pompey and Cardiff are if we had played our best team.

He didn't spend any money when things were clearly wrong, even when the Chairman said money was available to spend. The list goes on

Coppell, certainly not a legend in my book. Three relegations from the top flight and a history of bottling it when the going gets tough.

What a weird perspective you have.

What Coppell has acheived with us for 2 consecutive seasons is a management feat that in the modern game is highly unlikely to be repeated. That he did it with grace, humility and a level headed honesty that would shame most modern football managers adds to that acheivement. However he has one disappointing season and that immediately removes any "legend" status in your eyes.

Robin Friday on the other hand had a couple of fine seasons in the arse end of the football league but was more renowned for shitting in kitbags, flopping his dick on the bar of the Happy Prospect and genuinely pissing the talent he possessed up the wall. He however is a "legend" in your eyes.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 May 2008 09:57

'Greed

coppell and the team did what any combination of manager and players could not do for 135 years, and then kept us there in 8th place playeing some fantastic football, and beating teams we had previously only dreamed of meeting, let alone actually getting points off them
1 bad season does not wipe any of it out-he gave us the right to dream about being an established prem club

we are teeny tiny reading FFS-what do you people want/expect?
ok say he got us relegated-so its time for change, a new broom etc
but to wipe out the achievements like that is daft, IMO

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 May 2008 10:20

brendywendy 'Greed

coppell and the team did what any combination of manager and players could not do for 135 years, and then kept us there in 8th place playeing some fantastic football, and beating teams we had previously only dreamed of meeting, let alone actually getting points off them
1 bad season does not wipe any of it out-he gave us the right to dream about being an established prem club

playing Devil's advocat, so is looking past last season's frailties which TM pointed out.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 May 2008 10:32

Alan Partridge
brendywendy 'Greed

playing Devil's advocat, so is looking past last season's frailties which TM pointed out.

nobody wants to go into next season without seriously looking at what went wrong and putting it right
it will never wipe out SSCs achievements here though, even if he is sacked in january with us in the bottom 3-hed still be a legend