Reading Legends?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Reading Legends?

by TBM » 30 Jul 2008 23:20

My "hero" when i was a boy watching at Elm Park was Craig Maskell - i used to sit near the tunnel (up the back) and i was always there early and waited by the tunnel just to see the players come out, Maskell had a little routine of ruffling my hair when the teams ran out and always came and said hello before the game/during the warm up :D

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 30 Jul 2008 23:22

TBM My "hero" when i was a boy watching at Elm Park was Craig Maskell - i used to sit near the tunnel (up the back) and i was always there early and waited by the tunnel just to see the players come out, Maskell had a little routine of ruffling my hair when the teams ran out and always came and said hello before the game/during the warm up :D

Nice! :P If only players were like that nowadays

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 30 Jul 2008 23:48

Archie's penalty
Whore Jackie
Forbury Lion Top 10 in order, subject to change are:

1. Trevor Senior
2. Michael Gilkes
3. Adie Williams
4. Shaka Hislop
5. Phil Parkinson
6. Glen Little
7. Graeme Murty
8. Jamie Cureton
9. James Harper
10. Darren Caskey

Wouldn't disagree with the Top 7 or 8. Curo probably gets in with that goal. Caskey and Osborn would battle it out for the most talented CM I've seen. Other players I've enjoyed are Quinn, Gooding, Taylor and Morley. And Meaker's one-trick-pony, laughably-rubbish displays. Kitson's two goal whitewash against West Ham remains my favourite individual display.

For me, Harper and Sidwell are not Reading legends.

Would Harps be a legend if he stayed for another three years and got us back up?

He'd have certainly been here long enough. Whether he could ever earn legendary status is debatable. He's a decent player. That's all, for me. Sidwell was good too. If anything, he's got 'better', since leaving. But personally he was nowhere near my player of the year for any of the seasons he was with us. That would be my minimum benchmark for a Reading legend.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 31 Jul 2008 00:26

Not many defenders, other than Murty and Williams, been mentioned. Wdowczyk might be worth a shout. Not legends, but loved Upson's cameo and Steve Brown's swansong too.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 31 Jul 2008 00:27

Whore Jackie He'd have certainly been here long enough. Whether he could ever earn legendary status is debatable. He's a decent player. That's all, for me. Sidwell was good too. If anything, he's got 'better', since leaving. But personally he was nowhere near my player of the year for any of the seasons he was with us. That would be my minimum benchmark for a Reading legend.

When was Murts player of the year? (I don't disagree he's a legend).

Surely being a legend isn't just about that - it's also about attitude and rapport with the fans. I'd argue that Harps definitely ticks
both of those boxes...

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Jul 2008 00:31

Archie's penalty
Whore Jackie He'd have certainly been here long enough. Whether he could ever earn legendary status is debatable. He's a decent player. That's all, for me. Sidwell was good too. If anything, he's got 'better', since leaving. But personally he was nowhere near my player of the year for any of the seasons he was with us. That would be my minimum benchmark for a Reading legend.

When was Murts player of the year? (I don't disagree he's a legend).

Surely being a legend isn't just about that - it's also about attitude and rapport with the fans. I'd argue that Harps definitely ticks
both of those boxes...

De La Cruez!!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Jul 2008 09:07

TBM My "hero" when i was a boy watching at Elm Park was Craig Maskell - i used to sit near the tunnel (up the back) and i was always there early and waited by the tunnel just to see the players come out, Maskell had a little routine of ruffling my hair when the teams ran out and always came and said hello before the game/during the warm up :D

I remeber you telling me you were an early developer.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 31 Jul 2008 09:13

Stuart Beavon
Kevin Dillon
Steve Francis
Trevor Senior
Michael Gilkes
Jimmy Quinn
Martin Hicks

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 31 Jul 2008 09:13

Dictionary definition:

noun 2. star, phenomenon, genius, spectacle, wonder, big name, marvel, prodigy, luminary, celeb (informal) megastar (informal)

Kind of narrows it down a bit. Robin Friday, Steve Death maybe. I'm not sure people will be sat in a pub in 20 years time talking about the great Darren Caskey, James Harper etc.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 31 Jul 2008 09:26

That looks more like the listing from a Thesaurus. Try this one from the Collins Concise Dictionary:

a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exagerated or romanticized tales.

or for anyone young from the Collins New School Dictionary

they are very famous

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 31 Jul 2008 09:33

I have just named the four new computers that are going in the Reading Room at my school: Bowman, Senior, Friday and Gilkes.

I know it is just a library really, but I like to think it is named after the greatest football team in the world ever.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 31 Jul 2008 09:37

Michael Gilkes
Trevor Senior
Dean Horrix
Steve Richardson
Martin Hicks
Stuart Beavon
Adie Williams
Archie
Mick Gooding
Shaka
Parky
Jamie Cureton
Graeme Murty
James Harper
Nicky Shorey

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 31 Jul 2008 09:50

Archie's penalty Surely being a legend isn't just about that - it's also about attitude and rapport with the fans. I'd argue that Harps definitely ticks
both of those boxes...

'greed, that's why Murty probably makes the cut. I like Harper's commitment to football. And lots of fans love him. I'd argue that the Premiership has affected him, he's not nearly as approachable as he once was. Took some clients to a game last season and Harper won man of the match. Really disappointed with his attitude at the presentation afterwards, he couldn't get away quickly enough. That wasn't the same Harper I've met before.

Archie's penalty When was Murts player of the year? (I don't disagree he's a legend).

My player of the year isn't always the same as the clubs. :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 31 Jul 2008 09:54

In no particular order:

Trevor Senior
Jerry Williams
Jimmy Quinn
Stuart Lovell
Martin Hicks
Mick Gooding
Phil Parkinson
Michael Gilkes
Graeme Murty
Glen Little
Shaka Hislop
Adie Williams

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 31 Jul 2008 09:55

Shaka Hislop
Michael Gilkes
Dylan Kerr
Mick Gooding
Jimmy Quinn
Adie Williams
Phil Parkinson
Darren Caskey
Jamie Cureton
Glen Little
Graeme Murty

I don't know why Dylan Kerr is in there, but I always liked him and had a nice chat with him at an away game (Norwich I think), before the Royals fans started chanting 'Leeds reject', all in jest of course...
Last edited by Bill Oddie's Beard on 31 Jul 2008 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Jul 2008 09:58

when i saw him at the mega store a few weeks ago-hed just been to the gym, had loads of stuff he was carrying but he took the time to talk to me and shake my hand, then spent 15 mins talking to a young bloke with a learning disability, signed his stuff, took photos, chatted.
hes a legend in my book
just for being in the championship winning team, plus his fantastic attitude and fitness, and lastly for his daft eyebrows and interviews.

-murts-seen him outside the ground on numerous occasions. never too busy to stop, shake hands and have a chat-great bloke-love him to bits-easily my favourite reading player.

Ingimarrson is also very approachable-saw him at crowthorne village fete a few weeks ago with his kids-i didnt bother him but he spent alot of time talking to the people who approached him-not many top footballers would do that sort of thing

on top of those, id put houghton, gilkes, quinn , gooding, parky, fozzy,williams, little as the greatest ive seen, and meaks just for making me laugh.

and is this a joke?
Sidwell was good too. If anything, he's got 'better', since leaving.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Jul 2008 10:04

No Mention for Maurice Evans? 450+ apprarances + 2 promotions as manager.

To be a legend, for me you have to be more than a good player. I think you have to have had loyal service and achieved something great. players like Sidwell, Forster & Little were great players but nowhere near legendry status.

Legends for me are the likes of:

Trevor Senior - Leading all time scorer
Martin Hicks - Most Appearances & Lifted Simod Cup & Captained Record 13 wins
Maurice Evans - Long Serving Player & manager
Steve Death - 500+ Appearances & Goalkeeping Record
Graeme Murty - Long Service and Captained the best ever Reading side.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 31 Jul 2008 10:40

There are so many legends in the time I've been watching Reading, so I'll try and list them all:

Goalscoring legends
Trevor Senior
Jimmy Quinn
Stuart "Archie" Lovell
Nicky Forster
Jamie Cureton
Dave Kitson

Pass-master legends
Simon Osborn
Dariusz Wdowcyzk
Darren Caskey
Stuart Beavon

Loyal legends
Phil Parkinson
Michael Gilkes
Martin Hicks
Graeme Murty

Goalkeeper legends
Marcus Hahnemann
Shaka Hislop

Legends for other reasons
Mass Sarr - just for his trickery on that day at Wrexham and also running the show against Luton...
James Harper - his brilliant first game for us against Rotherham (who remembers that?), plus for finishing off Liverpool....
Kevin Doyle - for scoring that goal at Leicester to send us up....
Nick Shorey - for being an excellent left back and getting into the England squad....

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Jul 2008 10:43

How many appearances to you need to be a loyal legend??

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Jul 2008 10:44

kwik-silva How many appearances to you need to be a loyal legend??