I thought we had a MASSIVE squad

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: I thought we had a MASSIVE squad

by Alan Partridge » 04 Aug 2008 10:21

Royalee
brendywendy bet you a tenner we replace shorey if he goes.

I bet you a tenner the replacement is shit.

ALOL @ both posts to be fair.

Whilst I believe Coppell will bring a replacement in, to bet on it? You must have a screw loose on recent history!

Chortled at the reply. Vintage Royalee

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2008 10:22

Alan Partridge
Royalee

I bet you a tenner the replacement is shit.

ALOL @ both posts to be fair.

Whilst I believe Coppell will bring a replacement in, to bet on it? You must have a screw loose on recent history!

Chortled at the reply. Vintage Royalee

was tongue in cheek to be fair
since there is clearly no chance of me handing over said tenner at any point

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Aug 2008 10:24

I heard on the radio that Coppell had learnt from his mistakes.

I wonder what that meant?

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 04 Aug 2008 10:25

What when Sir Steve can mix and match pick and mix and stay loyal to the existing too large squad? If we do your bet= how much the replacement will cost!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 04 Aug 2008 10:25

Gordons Cumming I heard on the radio that Coppell had learnt from his mistakes.

That 7 down was actually 'Deluded' in the Daily Mail crossword.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Aug 2008 10:26

No idea because I've seen no evidence of it this pre-season. Perhaps he's finally come out of the closet or something.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 04 Aug 2008 10:26

According to RTGB he hasnt made any. You must have misheard

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Aug 2008 10:55

North Somerset Royal

Maybe........I am a bit deaf.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2008 12:49

North Somerset Royal

I hesitate to use the acronym RTGB as I've been told off for doing so and I wouldn't want to upset reddingbedding, but not one single person who you could label as an RTGB has said Coppell made no mistakes last season.

People with your view might actually have some decent points buried somewhere that were worth debate if it wasn't for the ludicrous bullshit statements you come up with all the time.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 04 Aug 2008 13:38

Still think your tenner is safe given todays comments by SC on OS?
"We'll wait and see what happens. He's unsettled, we don't know what's going on and can't spend any money in case it's wasted and he stays.

"The alternative now is for Stephen Hunt to play there. I know he's uncomfortable there but if he continues and grows into it that would save us grief.

"I would like to stay within the squad for a solution, rather than having to find someone else at the last minute. Sadly we might have to."

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Aug 2008 13:42

We are going to go into the new season with a left-back (with the exception of Golbourne). Absolutely unbelievable.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 04 Aug 2008 13:44

Ian Royal
North Somerset Royal

I hesitate to use the acronym RTGB as I've been told off for doing so and I wouldn't want to upset reddingbedding, but not one single person who you could label as an RTGB has said Coppell made no mistakes last season.

People with your view might actually have some decent points buried somewhere that were worth debate if it wasn't for the ludicrous bullshit statements you come up with all the time.

But people like me know that people like you are not interested in serious debate only in advancing your dogmatic and inflexible viewpoint.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2008 14:54

North Somerset Royal

Still think your tenner is safe given todays comments by SC on OS?
"We'll wait and see what happens. He's unsettled, we don't know what's going on and can't spend any money in case it's wasted and he stays.

"The alternative now is for Stephen Hunt to play there. I know he's uncomfortable there but if he continues and grows into it that would save us grief.

"I would like to stay within the squad for a solution, rather than having to find someone else at the last minute. Sadly we might have to."

no.

i just lost a tenner. :cry:

seriously though if we do that i will be more than annoyed-however theres still time for coppell to not let me down yet

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2008 14:55

North Somerset Royal
Ian Royal
North Somerset Royal

But people like me know that people like you are not interested in serious debate only in advancing your dogmatic and inflexible viewpoint.

Now that is hilarious.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2008 14:57

North Somerset Royal
Ian Royal
North Somerset Royal

and you demonstrate that by being dogmatic and inflexible :roll:

i think you would seriously struggle to find anyone who thinks copps is perfect and made no mistakes.
i suppose there may be a couple who blame madejski 100% instead
generally people are aware that blame lies at the feet of the manager, the chairman, and the players.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 04 Aug 2008 18:50

i think you would seriously struggle to find anyone who thinks copps is perfect and made no mistakes.
i suppose there may be a couple who blame madejski 100% instead
generally people are aware that blame lies at the feet of the manager, the chairman, and the players

I accept no one is going to agree `100% with everything that SC or anyone else does or says. Similarly I do not disagree with everthing they do. However it is certainly true that there a lot of people who post on this board who immediately react to any criticism of the club, SC or JM with a tirade of abuse of a personal nature. Such a reaction is hardly likely to encourage informed debate. In fact IR's barbed response to my jocular exchange with Gordon demonstrates my point precisely. Not only did he fail to recognise that my comment was tongue in cheek but he had to resort to insulting me to make his point.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2008 01:13

I see no insult. I'm just tired of all this "it's the reading way" bollocks about not making signings, or not spending money.

I'm pissed off that in the space of 1 season people can get so cynical and anti the club at the first tiny hint of a problem.

It was 1 season where a few mistakes were made which were compounded by loads of other things. In a really really tough league.

It's the same arguement for the last 6 months, but because I have a bit of positivity and confidence I've got to put up with all the snide remarks. I don't get to exagerate about how unbelievable wonderful everything and Coppell's never made a mistake because it isn't true. Just like it isn't true that it's the Reading way to not buy players or replace leaving ones

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Aug 2008 08:55

Ian Royal

RTGB - a pun on Radio Berkshire? Or have I missed the point?

I'm just tired of all this "it's the reading way" bollocks about not making signings, or not spending money.

But the entire counter argument/explanation/defence used on here for why we are behaving in this way, this summer, is essentially that it is the 'Reading way'. We are doing this, because this is what we do, and it has worked in the past. It annoys me because, as I have stated, it is a perfect explanation for why we are doing things the way we are but does not deal with why we should not do things a different way.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2008 11:34

Brendy added a B to make it RTG Brigade.

I don't mind an discussion about doing things differently to the actual Reading way, I dislike the Reading way being described as something it's not.

We'd all like to see us be a bit freer with our money, and take a few more risks. I'd like to see Coppell retire players from the squad a bit easier and replace them more proactively, but that doesn't mean the brick by brick cautious approach is flawed, it just means it's being taken a little too far.

Lets not forget that it wasn't that long ago that Madejski seemed unwilling to provide much funds at all after the Burns fiasco with him spending hand over fist for the division on toss and getting no where. I imagine he's cautious still and wants signings to be proved to be needed before paying. Add that to Coppell being fairly cautious anyway and leaves you less strong than you could be.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Aug 2008 12:23

papereyes
Ian Royal

RTGB - a pun on Radio Berkshire? Or have I missed the point?

I'm just tired of all this "it's the reading way" bollocks about not making signings, or not spending money.

But the entire counter argument/explanation/defence used on here for why we are behaving in this way, this summer, is essentially that it is the 'Reading way'. We are doing this, because this is what we do, and it has worked in the past. It annoys me because, as I have stated, it is a perfect explanation for why we are doing things the way we are but does not deal with why we should not do things a different way.

yes, but most negatives on here are saying the "reading way" is to sell and not replace, and not spend any money-which is patently bollarcks

we dont do things a different way because our chairman doesnt want to dump shedloads of his money into a bottomless pit, because he wants us to be financially viable to increase likelihood of selling.