Murty's Testimonial

372 posts
biscuitsrus

Re: Murty's Testimonial

by biscuitsrus » 06 Aug 2008 12:12

kingsleyroyal Murts is a patron of quite a few charities around here, and contributed great amounts of money on many occasions, and considering the shelf life of a footballer, he is quite within his right to keep some of his earnings to himself. His loyalty to the club backs this up.

Greg Halford, for example, has earned 3 times as much as Murts last year through signing on fee's (something Murts has not been a beneficiary of). He is a millionnaire no doubt. And being reliably informed that Murts is one of the lowest 1st team earners at the club kind of justifies this. And, I guess this testimonial income is his kind of "signing on fee's" that most unloyal footballers gain from.

And, Murts has to hire the Stadium, pay the police, hire the staff and food & drink out of his own money I guess????

I say good on him, and see you there. What a great way to end a promotion season!

See y'all at Forest on Sunday!

Maybe he can cut down on the cost of food by doing a buffet!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2008 12:17

biscuitsrus Murtz has been an integral part of RFC 'The Club' for a number of years now and epitomises all that is good about my club. I will certainly be supporting the event and do not care if the great man himself derives benefit.

This is also true.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 06 Aug 2008 15:10

Mr Angry I was invited to the launch of Murts' Testimonial Year last night, but couldn't make it.

:cry:

Anyone on here go to it?

Half expected to see you there, don't worry though the auction didn't miss you too much :wink:

As far as how much is going to the charity Swings and Smiles, all I can say is that, having listened to that and the speeches of those who received cheques from the Royal Families for last season's efforts, I hope those of you who do not contribute in any way never find yourself in the position of those who will benefit. Those of us who are fit and well should thank our lucky stars and as Amanda Hahnemann said raising the money would mean nothing without the people who give their time to these charities, so don't take a swipe at those who do something (anything?) to help others.

And for those interested Nicky Shorey was there as were a lot of the first team and a good smattering of the youngsters. And the last prize left in the raffle (why did no-one want them?) were Dave Kitson's match boots :oops:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 06 Aug 2008 19:12

I will be wearing my rangers shirt and signing the sash all game.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 06 Aug 2008 19:33

westendgirl As far as how much is going to the charity Swings and Smiles, all I can say is that, having listened to that and the speeches of those who received cheques from the Royal Families for last season's efforts, I hope those of you who do not contribute in any way never find yourself in the position of those who will benefit. Those of us who are fit and well should thank our lucky stars and as Amanda Hahnemann said raising the money would mean nothing without the people who give their time to these charities, so don't take a swipe at those who do something (anything?) to help others.

What a bizarre diatribe. I haven't seen to much "swiping" on here. Just some reasonable enquiries about what one of our millionnaire footballers will be doing with a fat cheque at the end of the season. I don't think asking for transparency is too much to ask.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Aug 2008 19:53

It does not seem that long ago that murts used to come into the hotel after the games and spend time with the fans, I have a lot of time for him, both as a player and as a family man, I too hope that much of the money from his testemonial year goes to charity, but he does deserve some of it as well.

Perhaps they could be innovative, charge say £10 for the match tickets, and then the fans can have a collection just for Murts, a kinda bucket shaking event, or at the end of the game the fans can all throw money onto the pitch, like they used to for acts in theatres.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 06 Aug 2008 21:02

Does it matter if Murts sticks a few quid in his pocket, allthough having been there last night
I would imagine the lions share would be going to charity.In general, I think its a breath of fresh air
to see Reading players and their wives/partners doing something for the local community.
Thank god we havent the Bartons of this world at our club.If young Leroy is the worst we have
when him films himself shagging some old slapper then I think we are lucky.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Aug 2008 21:54

westendgirl
Mr Angry I was invited to the launch of Murts' Testimonial Year last night, but couldn't make it.

:cry:

Anyone on here go to it?

Half expected to see you there, don't worry though the auction didn't miss you too much :wink:

As far as how much is going to the charity Swings and Smiles, all I can say is that, having listened to that and the speeches of those who received cheques from the Royal Families for last season's efforts, I hope those of you who do not contribute in any way never find yourself in the position of those who will benefit. Those of us who are fit and well should thank our lucky stars and as Amanda Hahnemann said raising the money would mean nothing without the people who give their time to these charities, so don't take a swipe at those who do something (anything?) to help others.

And for those interested Nicky Shorey was there as were a lot of the first team and a good smattering of the youngsters. And the last prize left in the raffle (why did no-one want them?) were Dave Kitson's match boots :oops:

That's great, but Royal Families is a charity organisation. Fair play to those very fortunate ladies and their husbands (and the unsung volunteers) for giving up their time to help, but I'm not sure there is much relevance to the Murty testimonial fund.

The Sings and Smiles is a very worthy cause, and I'm fully aware of the support that Murts has given them and I'm sure he'll continue to do so.

I still think the idea of a testamonial to line the pockets of someone with his earning potential over the last 5 years is a pretty odd idea unless the majority, if not all of, the profit made goes to a worthy cause.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 Aug 2008 10:18

There are two reasons I will not be going to this :

1. The amount of money Murty has earned over his career means he should donate all proceeds to charity
2. The place will be heaving with drunken sweaties wearing Celtic shirts and throwing up on the floor.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2008 11:10

Huntley & Palmer There are two reasons I will not be going to this :

1. The amount of money Murty has earned over his career means he should donate all proceeds to charity
2. The place will be heaving with drunken sweaties wearing Celtic shirts and throwing up on the floor.

'greed.

Although if the following is guaranteed i might reconsider.

FiNeRaIn I will be wearing my rangers shirt and signing the sash all game.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 07 Aug 2008 11:17

Huntley & Palmer There are two reasons I will not be going to this :

3. Testimonial games are shit.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Aug 2008 12:59

Graeme Murty is delighted to get the chance to face Celtic in his testimonial match next May.

The Royals skipper looked as though he would be denied the chance to face the Scottish giants after initial plans to play them this summer were ruled out because of police costs.

Inter Milan were then lined up, but Murty was forced to scrap that and delay his benefit match until next year after the club suffered relegation and had to alter their pre-season schedule as the Championship campaign kicks off earlier than the Premier League fixtures.

Murty’s father is an ardent Bhoys fan, having grown up near Celtic Park and the Glasgow outfit have agreed to play.

Police costs are also much lower as there are no other major events in May.

Royals’ skipper said: “It is a great honour for me for Celtic to come and play in this match.

“With my dad being a life-long fan, the club has always featured very strongly in our family.

“It’s a dream to get them down here and I’m sure the fans will love seeing one of the biggest clubs in Britain here.”

retro royal

by retro royal » 07 Aug 2008 16:15

I wont be going because we're be in the playoff final

rfc58

by rfc58 » 07 Aug 2008 16:23

FiNeRaIn I will be wearing my rangers shirt and signing the sash all game.

Ha ha !!

Bouncy, bouncy !!!!!!

And if you know what that means, you really are a Ger. :D

hutch

by hutch » 07 Aug 2008 16:32

Great game for Murts, I`m sure it will be a full house, who cares how much he`s giving to charity, its his money to do what he wants with it. knowing Murts it will probably be a substansial amount, any way good luck to the skipper.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 27 Aug 2008 12:48

Murty aims to donate AT LEAST £60,000 of the money raised during his testimonial year to the Swings and Smiles children's charity.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/News/ChampionshipNewsDetail/0,,10794~1373152,00.html

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Aug 2008 13:00

readingbedding Graeme Murty is delighted to get the chance to face Celtic in his testimonial match next May.

“It’s a dream to get them down here and I’m sure the fans will love seeing one of the biggest clubs in Britain here.”

Until they start singing " up the ra".

Bit of a tough one for me, murty is an absolute legend and my favorite reading player of all time, I would love to be there to show my support and thanks for his great service to our club.
That said, I truly despise the chosen club and really hope they don't behave like their typical bigoted arrogant selves when they turn up at the mad stad. Prepare for a " who the fvking hell are you" attitude all game from the celtic fans and constant pisstaking if/when they score.

I am torn over whether to go or not.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Aug 2008 13:06

will definitely be going.

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 28 Aug 2008 09:35

yeah i think this game is a must :)

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Aug 2008 09:53

FiNeRaIn
readingbedding Graeme Murty is delighted to get the chance to face Celtic in his testimonial match next May.

Until they start singing " up the ra".

Bit of a tough one for me, murty is an absolute legend and my favorite reading player of all time, I would love to be there to show my support and thanks for his great service to our club.
That said, I truly despise the chosen club and really hope they don't behave like their typical bigoted arrogant selves when they turn up at the mad stad. Prepare for a " who the fvking hell are you" attitude all game from the celtic fans and constant pisstaking if/when they score.

I am torn over whether to go or not.

With our own massive Irish contingent I can see this being some kind of anti-British love-in.
I'll pay for your match ticket if you wear a Rangers shirt Fine Rain.
I'll also come and visit you in the Royal Berks.

372 posts