Back from the Luton game

123 posts
chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game

by chilipepper91 » 26 Aug 2008 23:12

One thing, not sure if intentional, but worked very well, was Noel Hunt's run from the penalty area to the short, then back, for Pearce's goal from the corner. It seemed to cause carnage in the Luton box. If that's a training ground routine it was very good.

Still, that's a lot of goals from set pieces now so far this season - we couldn't get any last season, so something's going right. Still want someone to score from a good 15-20 yards though!!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:14

The 17 Bus For those that think Harper does nothing can you explain why we looked off the pace after he went off??

'greed

He gives the team a boost as he makes the team stick to his tempo and his superior fitness shines.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 26 Aug 2008 23:16

Harper talks a lot and organises, that was invaluable tonight to get the good lead.

Sadly most do not see what he does, and also sadly a few managers in the Prem do, hence the interest in him.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:19

The 17 Bus Harper talks a lot and organises, that was invaluable tonight to get the good lead.

Sadly most do not see what he does, and also sadly a few managers in the Prem do, hence the interest in him.

I think it is due to most Reading fans taking the negative from his game.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:20

Royal lady:
Coppell also said btw that there 1 or 2 players here who would still rather be playing for other teams - Harper and Doyle??

did he say this at the post match interview? missed the end of the game on the radio. if so i'd probably say doyle and bikey.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 26 Aug 2008 23:22

gazzer, loyal royal Federici--7Nothing to do all game apart from a save from point blank. Distribution good and keen to throw out
Kelly-7-Good defensively, unlucky with the goal where he dislocated his shoulder after a pull, poor crossing but defending is his main job
Golbourne-7- Caught up field a few times, but 90 mins for someone who hasn't played for 5 months
Pearce-8.5- A real rock, barely troubled and never looked to lump the ball long, clam and composed and definately ready for first team football
Doobs-Commanding for the 25 mins he was on
Henry-8-excellent touches but tries to hard sometimes to beat a man when a cross is on
S Hunt-8-good delivery from set pieces, tenacitiy was there and bravery, needs to stop getting involved with opposition players
Harper-5- Barely got involved with the game and passed him by
Karacan-7.5- Lively and put himself into tackles, the burst for his goal, a good 50 yards was fantastic to see, outshone his more senior partner
Long-6.5- Bit headless and created nothing apart from a chance he should have scored,won his fair share of flick ons
N.Hunt-9- MOTM, excellent, a goal and three assists, two marvelous crosses for goals and one staying onside, his header was very much like sonkos first against plymouth.

Ivar-7- typical ice man, everything done with minimal fuss
Mooney-6- Hard to adapt to pace of the game when we have 10 men and playing up front on your own
Gylfi-5.5- did ok, nothing special, some nice touches

Absolutely spot on, except I thought Ivar was a little unreliable at times tonight. He gives the ball away, is slow on the turn, and is a fading star of the record breaking team.

In my opinion, Pearce should come in and take his position in the coming weeks. He's the same cool head that Ivar is, but has better ball skills and his passing is impressive. He's a leader and I could hear him from Y24 JJ tonight. Awesome.

Pearce, plus one of Sonko, Cisse, or Bikey in my opinion.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 26 Aug 2008 23:29

Agree with the general concensus. I was sitting next to the head of youth development from Brizzle City (watching his on loan RW for Luton). He was very impressed by Karacan, Pearce and Henry. He asked me which of them, had a chance of playing in the first team this year, as he'd be recommending all 3! He was particularly impressed by Karacan. I told him they were all crap and they'd be hopeless for City, but I don't think he believed me!!!

Surely SSC has to bring these 3 into the squad and get them more 1st team action.

Cyrille Regis also there scouting for Coventry and a Palace scout was drawing intricate pictures of our movements from each corner

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2008 23:31

Overall excellent, thoroughly enjoyable performance, full of pace swagger and end product...well apart from Shane Long. OK some perspective is needed it WAS only Luton Town, but you have to go out and beat whats in front of you, just how often have we seen throughly average opposition test Reading and give them a real game? Quite a few times, including the last round for one.

The one downer on the night was Duberry hobbling off, he was immense in the first 25 minutes, they weren't going to beat him tonight and for him to get injured just gives Coppell the slight opportunity he needed to bring back Sonko.

Back to the positives, gonna start with the main man Jem Karacan, this boy has got so much going for him it's untrue. His two absolutely crunching tackles in the first half show he aint afraid to mix it and whenever he got the ball he looked calm, assured and likely to create, got a well deserved goal.

I thought Pearce was absolutely outstanding, a real centre half that heads it further than most can kick it, throws his body in the way and his a threat at set pieces as shown by his goal. The only slight ? I have over him is his lack of pace, which for someone so young is a fairly big worry.

Noel Hunt showed tonight exactly what we've missed in the first few games. Tenacity, spiriti and flair to steal one of Pards old phrases. He works his nuts off, he's got an excellent first touch, a good leap for a little un and he looks like scoring, he gets in good positions and unlike his brother he gets his head up and is able to produce well timed crosses.

Tbf despite that cheap pop Stephen Hunt was very good again tonight and him and his brother combined really well on numerous occasions.

I could literally go through every player on show and write a glowing reference for them, the one blot was Long who got some great chances, 2 fabulous one on one opportunities and didn't take them, really poor finishing. He had a little spell before half time where everything he did went wrong. He contributed in a good performance but his finishing was really poor tonight.

Whilst I was delighted with that, really impressed I just can't see Coppell making any changes apart from the obvious one. You know these lads have come in played exactly how Reading demand and the played the sort of football I think everyone wants to see, yet we won't see Karacan saturday...Cisse back in. We won't see Henry as Kebe comes back into the side, We won't see Pearce, back come Ivar and Sonko. We MIGHT see Noel Hunt but Doyle will continue on his merry dump way. If I was a betting man, I would bet on Armstrong coming in at left back with S Hunt replacing Convey in our only change. Which in my opinion is absolutely tragic and sends out the completely the wrong message. Well done lads, you absolutely destroyed the opposition in the week put in the best individual performances of the season so I am dropping you again for someone who hasn't done anything to warrant selection.

Coppell there is the challenge, the youth have staked the claim, do you have the bottle to give these lads the opportunity they deserve or will you go back to Coppell's Clique for your selection Saturday? I know where my money is.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 26 Aug 2008 23:32

Plymouth_Royal
Royal lady:
Coppell also said btw that there 1 or 2 players here who would still rather be playing for other teams - Harper and Doyle??

did he say this at the post match interview? missed the end of the game on the radio. if so i'd probably say doyle and bikey.

I think ALL of our players would rather be playing for Man U, surely thats true??

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:34

Plymouth_Royal
Royal lady:

Yep, on the radio.

Nice to see a bit of energy in the team tonight.

Agree with positive comments about Pearce and Henry - both could easily handle starting in the first team. NHunt had a good game; likewise. Also kudos to SHunt for working on the crossing - very good.
Mooney looked a bit slow and a bit lost at times - to be expected I suppose and would expect him to improve with time.

FLTLR
Location: RG1, but occassionally RG30 and then sometimes RG41

by FLTLR » 26 Aug 2008 23:34

FLTLR doesn't care for analysis - we won 5-1 - lets enjoy it..!!!

(I certainly did, FLTLR watching a football match at Madejski Stadium, brilliant!!!)

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 26 Aug 2008 23:34

Spotteds include RL, Schards, and willz. :mrgreen:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:35

Spotted = Sharpy, FRF, Heathrow Royal and Y21 Royal

FLTLR

by FLTLR » 26 Aug 2008 23:36

Didn't spot me, brilliant..!!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2008 23:37

FLTLR Didn't spot me, brilliant..!!!

I spotted you ya daft ol cnut 8)

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 26 Aug 2008 23:38

Excellent performance from the squad players pushing for first team action.
One or two of our senior players will probably be looking anxiously over their shoulders this evening.
I was impressed with Pearce, Karacan and Henry although the new lad Mooney looked a little short of match practice.
That is despite Luton kicking lumps out of our players and trying to intimidate the youngsters. It looked to me as though Kelly was GBH`d for their goal and that brings me on to that ref!

He gave our team no protection whatsoever and ironically flashed his yellow card at N Hunt despite their no.8 (Nicholls?)running around from start to finish like a headless chicken kicking anything in blue and white that moved.

All in all a very entertaining evening, good value for money and more of the same Saturday please.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 23:41

LOL at the North Stand being empty!

FLTLR

by FLTLR » 26 Aug 2008 23:42

Yeah alrite you might have spotted me but I was in disguise tonight - was it a bit too obvious???

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Aug 2008 23:43

rg6royal LOL @ the Luton fans! :lol:

what about them?

FLTLR

by FLTLR » 26 Aug 2008 23:44

Bless 'em, Luton Town - used to be a 'big club' - what happened to the Kohler Dome...erm - MURKED

123 posts