Nicky Hammond

Jimmy the Tree

Re: Nicky Hammond

by Jimmy the Tree » 29 Aug 2008 19:52

He doesn't pick the players, just arranges the best deal he can, maybe 2.5M for Fae was a good deal at the time, we will never know....

He has played the game professionally which is more than most DOF, so it can only help.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 29 Aug 2008 20:00

readingbedding
rhroyal Wasn't there a time Arsenal were interested in him as their director of football? He clearly has respect in the game. Did he not negotiate us £5.5mill for Kitson before another £2mill for Sonko, 2 deals that for me are brilliantly ripping off Stoke (They've paid £2mill to concede 5 penalties and 4 red cards!). Has he not also been DIrector of Football for almost 10 years, the most successful 10 years in our clubs history. For me 2 words sum up Nicky Hammond on here, scape goat.

Google 'Nicky Hammond, Arsenal'

There's loads...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... enger.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007 ... ory.sport2

http://www.roarofthecrowd.co.uk/forum/v ... 63&p=10051

Watch out though, some people think it's a conspiracy.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There were a lot of press stories at the time but they all merely reported that Hammond was on a short list which included some very experienced people and in fact gave our man little chance in the face of such competition. The myth put around by some on this forum is that the job was his and that he turned it down. I think in fairness Hammond thought that they did want him to be Director of Football. However when he turned up for the interview and they gave him a bike pump and tin of dubbin he realised it was Director of Footballs. :lol:

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 29 Aug 2008 20:03

I have two words for him oxf*rd oxf*rd

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Aug 2008 20:04

North Somerset Royal
readingbedding
rhroyal Wasn't there a time Arsenal were interested in him as their director of football? He clearly has respect in the game. Did he not negotiate us £5.5mill for Kitson before another £2mill for Sonko, 2 deals that for me are brilliantly ripping off Stoke (They've paid £2mill to concede 5 penalties and 4 red cards!). Has he not also been DIrector of Football for almost 10 years, the most successful 10 years in our clubs history. For me 2 words sum up Nicky Hammond on here, scape goat.

There's loads...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There were a lot of press stories at the time but they all merely reported that Hammond was on a short list which included some very experienced people and in fact gave our man little chance in the face of such competition. The myth put around by some on this forum is that the job was his and that he turned it down. I think in fairness Hammond thought that they did want him to be Director of Football. However when he turned up for the interview and they gave him a bike pump and tin of dubbin he realised it was Director of Footballs. :lol:

Very droll.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2008 20:13

So who did become Arsenal DoF after Hammond turned it down?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Aug 2008 20:14

Dunno.

The truth is out there though.
That's for certain.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Aug 2008 22:45

Several major new outlets all reporting exactly the same thing over the course of a few days can only mean one thing.... business as usual among the gossips in the sporting press.

btw this should in no way be interpreted as a failure to endorse NH. The only reason to object to his work at RFC is personal dislike. There is absolutely zero evidence that he does anything but a fine job.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Aug 2008 22:54

You're right.

No problems with any of the individuals involved, just major concerns with the way they're worked over the last 12-15 months. I know that they can turn it around but I don't see any green shoots of recovery at the moment. Maybe they will come.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 30 Aug 2008 00:22

Anyone who could get 2 mil for a donkey with a bad knee like sonko and 5.5 mil for Kits (striker with two dodgy knees) is pretty good in my view.
Stoke have been as good as raped up the ass by our Mr Hammond.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 Aug 2008 04:03

Platypuss So who did become Arsenal DoF after Hammond turned it down?

Is there an answer to this?

Gilles Grimandi was being touted IIRC.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Aug 2008 08:01

72 bus Anyone who could get 2 mil for a donkey with a bad knee like sonko and 5.5 mil for Kits (striker with two dodgy knees) is pretty good in my view.
Stoke have been as good as raped up the ass by our Mr Hammond.

All our players are rubbish the moment we sell them to someone else.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Aug 2008 09:15

Indeed.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 30 Aug 2008 09:41

Only been director of football for about 4 years, HTH

REALROYAL

by REALROYAL » 30 Aug 2008 10:03

I dont care about the money he brings in for our best players. That £8mill from Stoke goes right into Mr Ego's back pocket and Coppell dont see a penny of it. What i care about is how good is he at getting us top players.. And going by the last 3 summers i'd say he was doing a shit job

chandog

by chandog » 30 Aug 2008 10:39

REALROYAL I dont care about the money he brings in for our best players. That £8mill from Stoke goes right into Mr Ego's back pocket and Coppell dont see a penny of it. What i care about is how good is he at getting us top players.. And going by the last 3 summers i'd say he was doing a shit job

its true
i mean he seems to play a big role i attracting new players (bennet, fae, halford etc) is that the best we could do?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Aug 2008 13:27

readingbedding

There's loads...

Probably because their childish assessment of what he does for this club doesn't go beyond

"He's got a squeeky voice so he must be cr@p"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2008 13:32

LOL @ Reading fans who think being a good DoF depends on what level you played football at and what your voice sounds like.

This really is a phenomenally pathetic thread.

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 30 Aug 2008 13:48

URZZZZZZZZ Only been director of football for about 4 years, HTH

Correct.
When I left employment (8 years ago) the academy boss was an oxf*rd cr*pweasal called John Stephenson.
NH was goalkeeping coach at the time.
When John Stephenson left, (soon after I did) NH became academy director, so this was about 7 years ago.
He did this for a couple of seasasons, so has been DOF for around 4-5 years

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 31 Aug 2008 00:12

Woodcote Royal
readingbedding

There's loads...

Probably because their childish assessment of what he does for this club doesn't go beyond

"He's got a squeeky voice so he must be cr@p"

Or when Lita is transferred on Monday and we don't replace, Woodencote Royal yet again defends the club policy of SELL SELL SELL
JM appears on new Churchill advert "Ohhhhh yes" more and MORE money in MY BACK POCKET.

Hammond with Madejski's hand still firmly routed up his arse declares "Have i done well boss £12m out and your pension fund is massive in Malaysia

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 31 Aug 2008 00:29

The whole year inn
Platypuss So who did become Arsenal DoF after Hammond turned it down?

Is there an answer to this?

Gilles Grimandi was being touted IIRC.

The answer is no one. Arsenal do not have and never have had a Director of Football. The tabloid stories linking Hammond with the role originated in the aftermath of the boardroom split at Arsenal which saw David Dein resign. The DD supporters included Arsen Wenger who immediately spat out his dummy and threatened to go himself. DD (a very wealthy businessman and one time owner of 49% of Arsenal shares ) was a board member who handled contractual matters for the club and AW said that without him they would need to appoint a Director of Football as he did not have the time to get involved in contractual matters. That led to speculation by the tabloids as to who might fill the role and they hit on the fact that the only existing D of F who was ex Arsenal was Hammond. However the remaining board did not agree and they rearranged resonsibilities amongst themselves. The job that was suposedly offerred to NH therefore never actually existed and it was all just paper talk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 571099.stm