Will Marek get in?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Will Marek get in?

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 10:08

harps cisse and marek will all have to wait for injury or loss of form to get their chance again

great to see brynn back at his best, the injuries must have really frustrated him
and its great to see harper finally have to up his game in order to get in th eteam, its just what he needed in my opinion

but is anyone else salivating over what we could do , playing passing football as we are currently if we had marek playing in there-truly scary

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2008 10:34

Gordons Cumming All these moaners and doubters about the strength of the squad etc., etc..........................and what happens?

Steve C seems to know what he's doing. :shock:

How amazing.....................

The wrong injury in the wrong position and the side suddenly looks weaker.

In terms of overall bodies, fine. Its probably about right. A few more bodies could be moved on and improvements made.

The issue, as far as I was and, to some extent, still am concerned about is that in some positions, we have very little tried and tested or capable cover.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2008 10:37

brendywendy and its great to see harper finally have to up his game in order to get in th eteam, its just what he needed in my opinion

This is about as spot on as it could be, tbf. Nowt wrong with a kick up the arse.

but is anyone else salivating over what we could do , playing passing football as we are currently if we had marek playing in there-truly scary

I dunno: maybe its that we've got some guts and battle in there. My only criticism of Marek is that, well, he's not very fast. Yes, he can pass a bit but what's the use in that if he's 5 yards behind the play?

Have a squad of midfielders that we can use depending on injury and who we're playing.

EDIT: looks back over the thread and notices something similar has been said. Beh.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 01 Oct 2008 10:38

papereyes
Gordons Cumming All these moaners and doubters about the strength of the squad etc., etc..........................and what happens?

Steve C seems to know what he's doing. :shock:

How amazing.....................

The wrong injury in the wrong position and the side suddenly looks weaker.

In terms of overall bodies, fine. Its probably about right. A few more bodies could be moved on and improvements made.

The issue, as far as I was and, to some extent, still am concerned about is that in some positions, we have very little tried and tested or capable cover.

I'd worry about Armstrong getting injured or SHunt or Doyle, but think we probably have good cover for other positions.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2008 10:41

I'm not sold on our right or left wings, simply that Henry is still relatively untested (and, in the games I've seen, I've not been that impressed until the 60-something minute of the Stoke game) and that Convey, well, :cry: . Even right back, if Murty is still injured/getting older.

I'm also, like you, a bit nervous about up front.

Having seen the difference a strike partnership makes, having to resort to playing a player that seems mentally incapable of partnering anyone other than Charley off of Big Brother strikes me as a massive backwards step.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Oct 2008 10:44

In my opinion, Marek has done nothing to suggest he is a first team regular. A few nice touches does not mean he should come straight back in. Just 'cos he played in Euro 2008; I don't think he has done anything for this club so far (ok, you can have the Liverpool goal).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 10:46

personally i think long or lita would start scoring with Nhunt alongside them
the boy is class

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 10:48

Zammo In my opinion, Marek has done nothing to suggest he is a first team regular. A few nice touches does not mean he should come straight back in. Just 'cos he played in Euro 2008; I don't think he has done anything for this club so far (ok, you can have the Liverpool goal).

but what an option to come off the bench
just pointing out suddenly we are looking to have a little depth in the middle

even cisse has started to look the part in his two cameos this week
:wink:

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 01 Oct 2008 10:56

IMO, if you could field 12 players, it'd all be good :lol:

Marek is very much a creative, attacking player. IIRC, he got sent off on debut? Or near debut, anywho. For 2 clumsy challenges. So he'd need a player who is willing to back him up and perhaps sit deep and soak the pressure up if and when Marek is caught up.

Looks on paper like the ideal partnership for this is Bryn or Bikey. But Coppell sees Bikey as a CB, so it'd have to be Bryn. Harper is not good enough defensively, and we saw it as we got creamed last year. Cisse is not a good enough player to justify being in the team on a regular basis. Karacan looks like, given time and experience, he could be the ideal foil to Matejovsky.

Also consider that Coppell does not change a winning/drawing side. So Marek has to hope for injury or a bad run of form to get in the team. Which is good, as for all players, they'll be working harder to impress.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2008 15:03

papereyes I'm not sold on our right or left wings, simply that Henry is still relatively untested (and, in the games I've seen, I've not been that impressed until the 60-something minute of the Stoke game) and that Convey, well, :cry: . Even right back, if Murty is still injured/getting older.

I'm also, like you, a bit nervous about up front.

Having seen the difference a strike partnership makes, having to resort to playing a player that seems mentally incapable of partnering anyone other than Charley off of Big Brother strikes me as a massive backwards step.

:)

There isn't a team in the land who would not have fans expressing doubts whether the cover available in all positions is as good as the regular 1st teamers.

The fact that some of the players who might be expected to get a chance to step up in the event of an injury / suspension are homegrown youngsters is a great thing.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Oct 2008 15:09

A 46 game Championship season is hard going and we are likely to get a few injuries so it can only be good news if Marek comes back fit and well - but he may well have to wait his turn as Karacan has been fantastic so far.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 01 Oct 2008 15:11

I have to admit I didn't see Swansea or last night (Leeds is a great university but does has it's draw backs) but I'm hearing some very positive things about Bryn's return. All I'd say is that he's 32. He may be the answer this season and a great foil to Karacan, Harper and Matejovsky but if we're seriously looking at the Premiership next season I'm not sure a 33 year old Gunnarrson will be the answer, seeing as he did sometimes look out of his depth last time (Portsmouth anyone?). I can see real potential in Karacan and Matejovsky, with Karacan being the busy one getting stuck in and protecting the back line whilst Marek has the license to go forward. However Jem's not ready for that yet in my view, I think he needs a man alongside him who can share the defensive load and has a more experience, seeing as Marek has half a season's experience in English football and 30mins in the Championship.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 15:15

personally, if we carry on in the form
confidence players like henry, convey and cisse will have little trouble stepping in to cover injuries
when the team is flowing so well, it can only rub off on those others.

much like it rubbed off on hunt, makin, brynn etc in the championship season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 15:26

he looks perfect for a role in a midfield 3, behind the striker, to me

but for the czech republic he plays as a defensive midfielder doesnt he? seems to do ok for them

hes not had a chance to settle at this level yet, ill wait until he gets in the team and plays a bit before coming to a final conclusion about the relative merits of the player

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2008 15:29

He's a regular starter in a damned good international team - how did he manage that if he can't tackle, and lacks stamina and pace (oh, and I've never seen him head a ball...)

If and when he gets a chance in this league he'll be a class act.

Oh, hadn't seen your post brendy...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Oct 2008 15:54

brendywendy he looks perfect for a role in a midfield 3, behind the striker, to me

but for the czech republic he plays as a defensive midfielder doesnt he? seems to do ok for them

hes not had a chance to settle at this level yet, ill wait until he gets in the team and plays a bit before coming to a final conclusion about the relative merits of the player

No, he's the sub for Rosicky. Polak plays the defensive role, or Sivok if need be.

Marek sending off: it was after about 5 matches, and the second yellow was a joke- Roberts ran into him and fell over.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 15:57

actually ive seen him play in both roles for them

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 01 Oct 2008 16:28

He looked like Fabregas when he played in the Euro's I thought...maybe I dreamt that though.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 01 Oct 2008 16:30

Sarah Star He looked like Fabregas when he played in the Euro's I thought...maybe I dreamt that though.

On the pitch for about 30 minutes at most in a game?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 01 Oct 2008 18:31

Marek>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harper