dave mooney

madreadingfan

Re: dave mooney

by madreadingfan » 06 Oct 2008 21:57

i think the top teams in ireland would be a crap football league 1 side like in comparison to swindon :lol:

irish man

by irish man » 06 Oct 2008 22:04

yeah yous have gotten a few gems alright,

wait till yous see fahey though lads he is quality, going to be the best thing to come out of the irish league since roy keane(scumbag) totally different type of player but he is unreal,

teams like swindon your having a laugh, i thought as reading fans yous would realise how good the league is

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2008 23:05

To say the Irish League is equivalent to conference is unfair.

Infact to compare it to anything is daft as it's bound to be quite a mix given the population of Ireland.

Infact for any Englishman to comment on the quality, esp after a couple of matches is daft given we know nothing of their league. They, however, are more likley to keep track of our leagues here so I'd go with what our Irish friends say.

And I'd totally agree it's likely a couple of teams would do well in The Championship and a few would do ok in League 1. Why not?

kermit

by kermit » 06 Oct 2008 23:24

Sorry if i have upset anybody after having only seen one match , maybe it was not a good example but Luton in the cup looked of similar standard.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 07 Oct 2008 02:44

it's not just st pats dominating hertha berlin over two legs, there are loads of results

derry absolutely hammered gretna

shelbourne knocked the croatian champions out of the chhampions league qualifiers and took deportivo to the last 15 mibutes of the second leg a few years ago

pats knocked the swedish leage leaders elfsborg out of the uefa this year

cork city have beaten numerous french sides and scandinivian and eastern european in the inter toto

drogheda knocked the belarussian champions out this year, got dynamo kiev in the second leg, lost 2-1 at home to them and then were drawing 2-2 with kiev away and had 2 absolute sitters to win the tie in injury time and missed them (kiev absolutely hammered spartak moscow in the next round to qualify for the CL)

the list goes on and on, these are just results from the top of my head...there are loads more of these, keith fahey is the best player in ireland at the mo, he dictated the game against hertha berlin last week

in general the quality isn't great but the top 4 or 5 sides are pretty decent, shows you how good the quality is if the set-up is professional

i think the top 5 teams would compete in the championship and at the very worst league 1, many irish players who have played in scottish prem say the standard is higher in irish league than scot premier (except celtic and at a push rangers)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Oct 2008 08:49

UEFA put them 35th out of 53 European leagues at the start of the season.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Oct 2008 09:45

Ive only seen the 30 odd minutes he got a against Luton. He touched the ball about 3 times and was very subdued.

I hope he turns out to be good for us, but his lack of sub appeareances in the league (none!) suggests to me he hasn't impressed the management in training so far.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 07 Oct 2008 09:52

I don't remember being that impressed when he came on at Stoke. He came on for Convey in extra time, so I assumed he was playing out of position. Don't know why he didn't take a penalty though. I thought he was supposed to be good at them.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 07 Oct 2008 10:19

Gus the teenage cow cork city have beaten numerous french sides in the inter toto

Really? Eh ... which sides?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Oct 2008 12:44

Gus the teenage cow it's not just st pats dominating hertha berlin over two legs, there are loads of results

shelbourne knocked the croatian champions out of the chhampions league qualifiers and took deportivo to the last 15 mibutes of the second leg a few years ago

pats knocked the swedish leage leaders elfsborg out of the uefa this year

cork city have beaten numerous french sides and scandinivian and eastern european in the inter toto

drogheda knocked the belarussian champions out this year, got dynamo kiev in the second leg, lost 2-1 at home to them and then were drawing 2-2 with kiev away and had 2 absolute sitters to win the tie in injury time and missed them (kiev absolutely hammered spartak moscow in the next round to qualify for the CL)

the list goes on and on, these are just results from the top of my head...there are loads more of these, keith fahey is the best player in ireland at the mo, he dictated the game against hertha berlin last week

in general the quality isn't great but the top 4 or 5 sides are pretty decent, shows you how good the quality is if the set-up is professional

i think the top 5 teams would compete in the championship and at the very worst league 1, many irish players who have played in scottish prem say the standard is higher in irish league than scot premier (except celtic and at a push rangers)

Whilst some of their results in Europe have been relatively impressive, you have to take into account that in quite a few accounts,they are playing sides in their domestic league's preseason and often their first competitive game and are in the middle of their own campaign.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 07 Oct 2008 13:10

Gus the teenage cow cork city have beaten numerous french sides in the inter toto

I know one should not trust Wikipedia 100% but according to the Cork City page, the Leesiders have played against just one French team in the Intertoto Cup (or in Europe for that matter) - Nantes ... and they lost. Whether they won one of the legs or not, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_City_FC

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Oct 2008 13:15

Starfish

I know one should not trust Wikipedia 100% but according to the Cork City page, the Leesiders have played against just one French team in the Intertoto Cup (or in Europe for that matter) - Nantes ... and they lost. Whether they won one of the legs or not, I don't know.

Lost 3-1 and drew 1-1. Lost 4-2 on aggregate. Beat Malmo and Nijmegen in previous rounds, though.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 07 Oct 2008 13:46

Platypuss
Starfish

Lost 3-1 and drew 1-1. Lost 4-2 on aggregate. Beat Malmo and Nijmegen in previous rounds, though.

Thanks for that - seems GTTC's assertion was not 100% accurate then.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 07 Oct 2008 13:49

Starfish Thanks for that - seems GTTC's assertion was not 100% accurate then.

:shock:

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 07 Oct 2008 13:53

sorry i meant numerous european sides (from good leagues)...french was in my head coz i remember nancy was the last team they played before exiting

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 07 Oct 2008 13:54

Gus the teenage cow sorry i meant numerous european sides (from good leagues)...french was in my head coz i remember nancy was the last team they played before exiting

Fair enough and a sorry back for being so damned picky.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Oct 2008 14:41

Gus the teenage cow sorry i meant numerous european sides (from good leagues)...french was in my head coz i remember nancy was the last team they played before exiting

You obviously remember it well. :|

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 07 Oct 2008 14:44

Starfish

Really? Eh ... which sides?

I wish they had.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Oct 2008 15:28

Gus the teenage cow it's not just st pats dominating hertha berlin over two legs, there are loads of results

Important words in bold. I would have highlighted "Croatian champions" but that might have been Zagreb and a few years ago they were pretty decent.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 07 Oct 2008 15:43

irish man he was better over here than doyle was

A cab driver I spoke to last year in Cork confirmed this.