Our weak link is........THE CAPTAIN!!!!

133 posts
bottom left hand corner

Re: Our weak link is........THE CAPTAIN!!!!

by bottom left hand corner » 07 Dec 2008 11:16

bishbosh92
rg6royal Next captain = Liam Rosenier
Nah disagree there

hes a good attackive fullback byt defensively hes not brill.

he didnt have the greatest of games yday

when we needed to hoof the ball up field

he always found a barnsley player.

Get your spelling right, but I do agree with you there bishop

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 07 Dec 2008 11:16

Pretty sure Coppell has said Harper's the main man in the dressing room - sorts out moral, looks after new players and all that jazz, which is apparently why he won't drop him. Pretty sure we'd probably miss a presence like that.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 11:17

bottom left hand corner
bishbosh92
rg6royal Next captain = Liam Rosenier
Nah disagree there

Lol

thanks

and im trying

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 07 Dec 2008 11:20

lozz2601 Pretty sure Coppell has said Harper's the main man in the dressing room - sorts out moral, looks after new players and all that jazz, which is apparently why he won't drop him. Pretty sure we'd probably miss a presence like that.

I've always notice he is a brilliant vocalist in the team ever since I first sure him play.

I think he is brilliant at picking the ball out of the net for Marcus too so he don’t get the bad bank problem.:lol:

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 07 Dec 2008 11:24

bishbosh92
bottom left hand corner
bishbosh92

Lol

thanks

and im trying

Ok then chris

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 07 Dec 2008 11:35

This thread is nonsense really. Harper is captain of a team that is looking well-placed to get into the top two by the turn of the year. He appears to be an important motivator to others in the team. And he has been a loyal and effective team member since League One days.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 11:52

Elm Park Old Boy This thread is nonsense really. Harper is captain of a team that is looking well-placed to get into the top two by the turn of the year. He appears to be an important motivator to others in the team. And he has been a loyal and effective team member since League One days.
No this thread is isnt nosense a captain is supposed to be a leader and make the rest of the team follow by example.

in recent games harps hasnt been doing that and has proberbly been the worst player on the field, yes weve still won but we need a captain who is constistantly good.

chris armstrong my vote hasnt put a foot wrong all year.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Dec 2008 11:56

Ideal
loyalroyal4life even if he were to be dropped for a couple of games...that would be nice. I just have a strong feeling the team would perform alot better.

You're an idiot.

"I think Rafa Benitez should drop Gerrard, even for a couple of games. That would be nice. I just have a strong feeling the team would perform a lot better."

LOL i m talking about james harper not stevie G , the 2 will never be comparable, stevie G always pulls something out (watch him yesterday), we are talking about a player who has not performed over the course of 21 games so i guess the idiot is......YOU

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 11:58

Agreed there

gerrard can play shit and still prodice something, where as harps has been consistently bad for a few games now so there a big differnece.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Dec 2008 12:01

i THINK the point of this thread is the fact that why should harper have a divine right to walk into the team simply because he is captain. He is playing shit, when others players do they get dropped (even if it takes SSC ages to do so) so why cant he get dropped too.

Agree with Bishbosh that a captain should lead by example both with leadership/motivational skills as well as individual performances. He may lead by motivation in some instances but he certainly doesnt by performance.

Am just thinking maybe he should be stripped of captaincy to see if his performances come back it happens in other sports where players cant handle the responsibility so why not here?

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 12:15

loyalroyal4life i THINK the point of this thread is the fact that why should harper have a divine right to walk into the team simply because he is captain. He is playing shit, when others players do they get dropped (even if it takes SSC ages to do so) so why cant he get dropped too.

Agree with Bishbosh that a captain should lead by example both with leadership/motivational skills as well as individual performances. He may lead by motivation in some instances but he certainly doesnt by performance.

Am just thinking maybe he should be stripped of captaincy to see if his performances come back it happens in other sports where players cant handle the responsibility so why not here?
Agreed there m8. if coppel does trip him from captaaincy which is highly unlikely, but if so who would your vote be for a new captian?

chris armstrong for me has been solid consistently since he has come here hasnt put a foot wrong.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 07 Dec 2008 12:26

bishbosh92
loyalroyal4life i THINK the point of this thread is the fact that why should harper have a divine right to walk into the team simply because he is captain. He is playing shit, when others players do they get dropped (even if it takes SSC ages to do so) so why cant he get dropped too.

Agreed there m8. if coppel does trip him from captaaincy which is highly unlikely, but if so who would your vote be for a new captian?

chris armstrong for me has been solid consistently since he has come here hasnt put a foot wrong.

sorry cant see chris armstrong being captain he doen't look the type of person to lead and make a difference to the team when lossing or need a step up the play.

I don't think harper should be captain because he does a captains job when doesn't have the band anyway.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 07 Dec 2008 12:31

Fair comment there

bt he hasnt eve really been put in that position though

so we cant really say

only other options would be Bikey or Ingarmarrson as there always consistant at the back

or Dubberry bcoz of his bags of experience.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 12:51

Happily, Coppell won't drop Harper because some short sighted kids don't think he's very good, so there is no need to get wound up by this waste of space thread.

Why can't you people get your head around the way our central midfield is supposed to play and that Harper fits into this perfectly?

The whole purpose of our central midfield is to keep the ball moving when we have it and spread it out to the full backs and the wingers to get forward. They sit fairly deep protecting the back 4 because our full backs bomb forward so much. Occasionally one of them is supposed to get forward to support the attack by arriving late at the edge of the box unmarked.

When we don't have the ball they hassle the build up play of the other team and flood the defensive areas around our 18 yard box. We squeeze the other team so they make errors and give away the ball. If we could get hold of fit players who could pass and tackle we would be playing them, but we will be very very lucky to find anyone better at the central midfield role in our team than Harper. Certainly outside the Premier League and without paying several million pounds.

Matejovsky is an excellent player IMO, though he has shown very little to get people excited in his few cameos. He has shown flashes of brilliance with his passing, but has also shown that his tackling is even worse than Harper's (Harper at least knows not to make one if he can't time it properly) and he is sluggish to go with it. Gunnarsson would be an ideal player, if he wasn't in his mid thirties. He simply doesn't have the legs to play 90 minutes for several games. Karacan is inexperienced and Cisse is still improving from being worthless as a midfielder at the start of the season.

Cisse is currently undroppable because he is scoring and showing a lot of improvement. Harper is currently undroppable because the team is winning and he is central to the way we play. Matejovksy is in the sticky situation of not being capable of replacing Harper in the system we play, but not really being capable of playing alongside him either.

For Marek to play, we need to change our system to have 3 in central midfield. This won't happen because Coppell is a 4-4-2 man and sees 4-3-3/4-5-1 as a primarily defensive formation. I completely disagree with this. But it's not exactly a problem whilst we're keeping touch with the top 2.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 07 Dec 2008 14:30

reading fc rock leroylero
bottom left hand corner
The Goat was fed I don't know - I can't stand him - but he would be sorely missed. One argument is that he does a lot of work that goes unnoticed and without somebody doing that work our system would crumble.

I agree

I thought Sidwell wouldn't be missed to an exstent but it showed!

Sonko, Shorey and Kitson i knew they wouldnt be missed much because they dont play the drving force of our team.

Disagree with this. Shorey was a key in driving our team. The link up play down the wing was crucial in our promotion season, and even when we were in the Premiership.

Armstrong has filled his boots perfectly. He may not have the dead-ball skill Nicky Who? had, but I think his defensive qualities are slightly better. Plus, compare the Armstrong of now to the Nicky Who? of the summer and tell me who you would rather have?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Dec 2008 14:38

SteveRoyal Armstrong has filled his boots perfectly. He may not have the dead-ball skill Nicky Who? had, but I think his defensive qualities are slightly better. Plus, compare the Armstrong of now to the Nicky Who? of the summer and tell me who you would rather have?

Totally agree. His run and cross which Harper nearly converted yesterday was fantastic.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Dec 2008 15:57

it's quite funny that 8 years after signing Harper still commands these threads. He's been like this for 7 out of the 8 seasons he's been here. The other 1 he got player of the year.

Harper has ALWAYS blown hot and cold and when he's cold he's absolutely freezingly awful. I've never been much of a Harper fan, I felt Sidwell was the stronger of the two and carried him for lots of the time. Highlighted that 2 big clubs went after Sidwell and Reading went down the season after he left and Harper was the focal point.

He's one of them playrs that is good enough for this division but if and when Reading go up has to be replaced. He's not alone in that category to be fair.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 07 Dec 2008 16:24

Archie's penalty
SteveRoyal Armstrong has filled his boots perfectly. He may not have the dead-ball skill Nicky Who? had, but I think his defensive qualities are slightly better. Plus, compare the Armstrong of now to the Nicky Who? of the summer and tell me who you would rather have?

Totally agree. His run and cross which Harper nearly converted yesterday was fantastic.

Nicky Shorey lost his dead ball quality's and it showed when i think it was Tottenham at home when the fans started booing when he walked over to take a corner.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2008 16:32

Alan Partridge it's quite funny that 8 years after signing Harper still commands these threads. He's been like this for 7 out of the 8 seasons he's been here. The other 1 he got player of the year.

Harper has ALWAYS blown hot and cold and when he's cold he's absolutely freezingly awful. I've never been much of a Harper fan, I felt Sidwell was the stronger of the two and carried him for lots of the time. Highlighted that 2 big clubs went after Sidwell and Reading went down the season after he left and Harper was the focal point.

He's one of them playrs that is good enough for this division but if and when Reading go up has to be replaced. He's not alone in that category to be fair.

Harper has it in him to play at prem level, Sidwell wasn't good enough to carry him in our first season, no matter how you rate Sidders. Harper was one of the better performers the year we went down as well. Although that in itself doesn't say a great deal.

He probably isn't quite good enough to consistently play in our system in the prem though. It would take a change of tactics IMO. He is more than good enough to be a squad / bench player there.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 07 Dec 2008 17:58

bishbosh92
Elm Park Old Boy This thread is nonsense really. Harper is captain of a team that is looking well-placed to get into the top two by the turn of the year. He appears to be an important motivator to others in the team. And he has been a loyal and effective team member since League One days.
No this thread is isnt nosense a captain is supposed to be a leader and make the rest of the team follow by example.

in recent games harps hasnt been doing that and has proberbly been the worst player on the field, yes weve still won but we need a captain who is constistantly good.

chris armstrong my vote hasnt put a foot wrong all year.

He spelt nonsense for you. Moron.

133 posts