How many points will it take?

213 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How many points will it take?

by Stranded » 10 Dec 2008 12:38

watfordroyal Out of the top 3, I fear it'll be us that drops away into the play-offs bunch.
The transfer window won't affect Wolves or Brum, in fact they'll probably strengthen,
but I think we're gonna suffer disruption & destabling, losing Doyler & SHunt & maybe others.
I predict January seeing a poor points return for us. :(

Why are people convinced that we're the only club in the top 3 bound to be selling this Jan. The players at the top 2 are equally as appealling as any of our lot as things currently stand.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2008 12:59

Stranded Why are people convinced that we're the only club in the top 3 bound to be selling this Jan. The players at the top 2 are equally as appealling as any of our lot as things currently stand.

The deciding factor will be ambition, or lack thereof. It won't look too good if we sell, and the top two don't.

Of course, the club will explain that away by saying 'So and so wanted away and we didn't want to stand in his way...'. :|

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 10 Dec 2008 13:01

Stranded
watfordroyal Out of the top 3, I fear it'll be us that drops away into the play-offs bunch.
The transfer window won't affect Wolves or Brum, in fact they'll probably strengthen,
but I think we're gonna suffer disruption & destabling, losing Doyler & SHunt & maybe others.

Why are people convinced that we're the only club in the top 3 bound to be selling this Jan. The players at the top 2 are equally as appealling as any of our lot as things currently stand.

Completely and utterly agree.
If anything why would you take players froma club who aren't even in the top two of the division? Obviously can't be that good!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Dec 2008 13:03

Denver Royal
Stranded Why are people convinced that we're the only club in the top 3 bound to be selling this Jan. The players at the top 2 are equally as appealling as any of our lot as things currently stand.

The deciding factor will be ambition, or lack thereof. It won't look too good if we sell, and the top two don't.

Of course, the club will explain that away by saying 'So and so wanted away and we didn't want to stand in his way...'. :|

The reality is the same as it's been for a good few years - if enough money is dangled in front of a player that they want away, and if enough money is offered for them, nothing is to be gained by stopping that player going.

As an agent would say "my player will be very unhappy and you know how an unhappy player plays...."

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2008 13:17

Dirk Gently
Denver Royal

The reality is the same as it's been for a good few years - if enough money is dangled in front of a player that they want away, and if enough money is offered for them, nothing is to be gained by stopping that player going.

As an agent would say "my player will be very unhappy and you know how an unhappy player plays...."

Agree to some extent. But still, what we do - and don't do - in the window compared to the other two teams will be interesting.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 14:45

Archie's penalty A lot. The form of the top three is frightening at the moment.

Agreed. Whilst Wolves are still ploughing themselves through games, Brum and ourselves seem to have (temporarily) lost momentum and are required to grind out results.
Even so, the best teams can get results out of poor performances.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Dec 2008 14:56

Denver Royal
Dirk Gently
Denver Royal

Agree to some extent. But still, what we do - and don't do - in the window compared to the other two teams will be interesting.

Intresting, but not necessarily the most important factor.

If my memory serves, then at the start of the season we had the same old stuff .... no ambition, demonstrated by a cut-price nobody from the SPL, a SFU cast off and the demolition of the old guard.

Doesn't seem to have been a bad plan at the moment.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2008 15:09

Well, we're managing to stay in contention. But we're not exactly running away with it either.

If a couple of quality signings could have kept us in the Premier, could a couple of quality signings now in the January window....oh, never mind. :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Dec 2008 15:11

Denver Royal Well, we're managing to stay in contention. But we're not exactly running away with it either.

If a couple of quality signings could have kept us in the Premier, could a couple of quality signings now in the January window....oh, never mind. :wink:

Some people will never be happy 43 points from 22 games - 46 goals scored 21 let in. Terrible that - COPPELL OUT!!!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Dec 2008 15:13

Denver Royal Well, we're managing to stay in contention. But we're not exactly running away with it either.

Please do list the players that you think
- we could have bought
- that would have signed for us
- that would have improved the team

er....this season, of course :wink:

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 10 Dec 2008 15:18

If I was a Premier League manager and had 5 million to spend on a winger, I'd sooner spend it on Michael Kightly than Stephen Hunt on current form.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Dec 2008 15:24

It is looking more and more likely that Wolves are going to stay the course so it could come down to a straight fight between us and Brum. They have been a tad lucky lots of times this season - again at Plymouth last night apparantely.

I really cannot see them getting 92 points so I think that should be our min target and a win on Saturday will put us exactly half way to the target.

Also we have let a lot of points slip in the first half season so doing 46 again in the second half ought to be attainable for us.

Our two games against Brum will be huge and it may well come down to the last day.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 10 Dec 2008 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Dec 2008 15:26

I'd be surprised if anyone outside the superrich were throwing around the five million it would take to move SHunt. I'd expect a quiet window (except in the press and on here of course). As for points, I'm pretty confident 90 or even a couple less would be enough for 2nd, and 73 for the playoffs.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2008 16:42

Archie's penalty

Some people will never be happy 43 points from 22 games - 46 goals scored 21 let in. Terrible that - COPPELL OUT!!!

Oh dear. Never said I wasn't happy, or that it was terrible, nor 'Coppell out!'.

And believe it or not, I'm also aware of our current record. But thanks anyway.

So, reading between the lines in this 'forum for discussion' then, I'm assuming you believe the squad is just fine as is, and doesn't need strengthening in any way to maybe help ensure we gain promotion this season.

Which presumably means you'll be very upset if the club does buy anyone since you will view it as a terrible waste of money.

Thats fine, thanks for your input, and for weighing in with your opinion.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Dec 2008 17:16

Denver Royal
Archie's penalty

Oh dear. Never said I wasn't happy, or that it was terrible, nor 'Coppell out!'.

And believe it or not, I'm also aware of our current record. But thanks anyway.

So, reading between the lines in this 'forum for discussion' then, I'm assuming you believe the squad is just fine as is, and doesn't need strengthening in any way to maybe help ensure we gain promotion this season.

Which presumably means you'll be very upset if the club does buy anyone since you will view it as a terrible waste of money.

Thats fine, thanks for your input, and for weighing in with your opinion.

Sorry for touching your raw nerve there. I think we could do with another striker to replace lil' Leroy but apart from that I think we're ok tbh. The only other thing I could think of would be someone to replace Armstrong should he get injured. Of course if one of our players were to be sold (and I hope this won't happen) then I would expect someone to be brought in to replace them.

But for me the priority would be to bring in someone to replace Leroy. I will not be climbing up the walls demanding the club bring in people though - unlike the great mass of nobbers will be I expect.

Royal-DLG

by Royal-DLG » 10 Dec 2008 17:27

On the subject on buying players, hopefully we can get in two strikers, one to replace leroy, and one to actually do something off the bench...
We'll also be needing a new winger, to cover suspension/injury, and Conveys possibly leaving.

As for the points, i think around 90 will be enough..

Am getting slightly worried at Wolves being half way to our record already though :shock:

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Dec 2008 17:37

Royal-DLG On the subject on buying players, hopefully we can get in two strikers, one to replace leroy, and one to actually do something off the bench...
We'll also be needing a new winger, to cover suspension/injury, and Conveys possibly leaving.

Am getting slightly worried at Wolves being half way to our record already though :shock:

I think 90 will be enough.

As for Wolves:

50/22 = 2.2727 recurring.

2.2727 x 46 = 104.5454 recurring, which we'll round up to 105 points.

On current form our record is safe. 8)

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Dec 2008 00:34

why do these stupid people keep assuming we will sell doyle. He signed a 3 year deal FFS. Thats gotta mean he wants to play for us. Hunt maybe, but with his brother at the club as well, and 4 irish players, who all get on really well are at the same club, i cant see any of them wanting to leave at the first offer.

I would happily put money on Doyle staying untill at least the end of this season, if not longer.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Dec 2008 00:36

rhroyal
Royal-DLG On the subject on buying players, hopefully we can get in two strikers, one to replace leroy, and one to actually do something off the bench...

I think 90 will be enough.

As for Wolves:

50/22 = 2.2727 recurring.

2.2727 x 46 = 104.5454 recurring, which we'll round up to 105 points.

On current form our record is safe. 8)

its still crazy to think we averaged just over 2.3 points a game. and still drew games we should have won. (ShefW, Saints, leeds, etc)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Dec 2008 02:51

SLAMMED

why do these stupid people keep assuming we will sell doyle. He signed a 3 year deal FFS. Thats gotta mean he wants to play for us. Hunt maybe, but with his brother at the club as well, and 4 irish players, who all get on really well are at the same club, i cant see any of them wanting to leave at the first offer.
I would happily put money on Doyle staying untill at least the end of this season, if not longer.

So if Doyle leaves in the window, you'll still be here then?

And it will be a case of 'He wanted Premiership football, and more money, we got a good a price for him, so who are we to stand in his way?'

I'm sorry, been on this board and supporting RFC for a long time. :|

213 posts