by Magicman » 10 Dec 2008 11:41

I reckon Stretch should take them as we have not seen him miss one

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hunt should never take a penalty again

by West Stand Man » 10 Dec 2008 12:09

Hahnemann's Hairdresser
It is a theory that has led to Leroy Lita missing a couple IIRC. :|

It isn't a theory at all. It is a fact that Lita has missed a couple.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 10 Dec 2008 12:18

I'm getting tired of SHunt demanding that he kicks the ball in every single dead-ball situation. When 2 stand over the ball, everyone knows that Hunt's going to kickit. Give other players the occasional chance. After all, Hunt might get injured one day.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 10 Dec 2008 13:36

West Stand Man
Hahnemann's Hairdresser
It is a theory that has led to Leroy Lita missing a couple IIRC. :|

It isn't a theory at all. It is a fact that Lita has missed a couple.

Yes, and he was taking the penalty because he grabbed the ball first after it was awarded. If we had a set penalty taker then Lita would not have been taking the penalty in the first place. So the implementation of the theory that penalty taking is more a confidence issue than a skill (so whoever grabs the ball first, and is supposedly most confident, takes the penalty) has led to 2 penalty misses.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2008 13:52

Great Knolly I'm getting tired of SHunt demanding that he kicks the ball in every single dead-ball situation. When 2 stand over the ball, everyone knows that Hunt's going to kickit. Give other players the occasional chance. After all, Hunt might get injured one day.

Henry put in a great ball from possibly our first free kick last night. I'm pretty sure Hunt took all the rest from then on which seemed odd as Henry's delivery was excellent.

As for the penalties I think it's a farce that the club even come up with the Hunt takes them unless Doyle wins it policy. IF Hunt is our best penalty taker (I'm by no means convinced) then he should take them all up until the time it's decided someone else would be better at it.

The 'whoever gets the ball first' policy is even worse. I'm all for the designated penalty taker handing over responsibility if they're having a bit of a shocker or low on confidence, but having such a relax approach to who takes them leads to last nights confusion (and we've seen it before too) and can't do anything to help the taker prepare for the penalty.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 10 Dec 2008 14:54

Bikey takes a very good penalty

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Dec 2008 14:55

The Positive One! Time for Steven to go I think. Now seems just a bit too big for his boots. What's all the moaning about Shane Long anyway - always done a good job when he has come on, worked hard and is keen - good sign when he wants to take the penalty. HIs movement from a defensive position to the forward line when needed is excellent. It is difficult to prove what you are capable of when only given ten or so minutes in each game.

I think you would struggle to provide convincing evidence that he did a good job when he came on last night. His touch was absolutely appalling. Even with just 10 minutes to go he ought to be able to demonstrate that he has the ball control that you would expect from a professional footballer playing at Championship level. And what else did he do?

That having been said, there were plenty of other below par performances last night.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 10 Dec 2008 15:07

We can't score a penalty or save a penalty!

Get penalties out or together

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Dec 2008 16:02

bishbosh92 Shane Long always sulks when he doesnt get his way.

Look at liverpool away last year when he got subbed, Chucking his shirt on the floor he thinks hes gods gift.

You still aren't using correct grammar. A coma does not demand a capital letter after it. "Doesnt" needs an apostrophe, as does "hes" and "gods" (which also needs a capital fwiw).

You also seem to be the only Reading fan not aware that Long chucked the shirt at the assistant, who had been singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" before the match and gave countless fouls against Long every time he went near Skrtel.

Please, don't post unless you have learnt primary school grammar. Spelling can be easy to mess up, but simple grammar mistakes that the majority of seven year olds could correct shouldn't happen. I will hazard a guess that you are 15 or more likely 16, that's really unacceptable from one of your age.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 10 Dec 2008 16:22

Noel Hunt has never missed a professional penalty in his entire career. Admittedly he wasn't on the pitch but that's not the point

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Dec 2008 16:23

parky Noel Hunt has never missed a professional penalty in his entire career. Admittedly he wasn't on the pitch but that's not the point

I don't think David Mooney has either.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Dec 2008 16:28

SCIAG You still aren't using correct grammar. A coma does not demand a capital letter after it.

Shirley, punctuation and syntax should be the last thing on anyone's mind after that!

chandog

by chandog » 10 Dec 2008 16:41

long should not be our penalty taker as he is never on the pitch to take one. also he wanted the penalty last night to try and get some confidence in scoring a goal - not because he is a better penalty taker than stephen hunt

i am sure the whole team has practised penalties and hunt must be the best as he has been given the task of taking our penalties. coppell has a lot of common sense and would want to have tested who the best penalty taker in the squad is

i think doyle could also do the job very well as he has done it before in big pressure situations (v man u for example)

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 10 Dec 2008 16:54

send for Murty !!!!!!!!! (QPR)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2008 16:56

chandog i am sure the whole team has practised penalties and hunt must be the best as he has been given the task of taking our penalties. coppell has a lot of common sense and would want to have tested who the best penalty taker in the squad is

I'm not sure I have the same faith in him over this subject. He really doesn't seem bothered about who takes the penalties and generally thinks it should just be whoever feels the most confident.

That's why we've seen two or three of these squabbles before, and why Hunt ended up taking his first one originally. He won the fight with, I think Kitson, and scored. He's kind of kept the responsibility since.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2008 18:28

The rules had always been, the same person takes them until they miss one.

It was apparently Kitson's turn last season but Hunt muscled in.

Doyle missed one early on, so Hunt got them with the understanding Doyle could take ones he won. Hunt has now missed, so it presumably goes to one of Doyle or Nhunt

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 10 Dec 2008 22:17

I think Donkey should take it. oooooooo meeeeee picckkkk meeeeeee. Meeeeeeeee. Or was that Gordon the Green Engine...not sure, I've been on the Remy.

Or p'raps SC should decide, instead of letting them "decide between themselves, they are grown-ups" as he stated on BBC R Berks last night. Actually, he sounded pretty p*ssed off with it all, so we can hope he does enforce some order.

I reckon we give it back to Doyle. He's a different player from the one who missed those pens in the prem last year.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2008 22:19

and the one this year. I don't see Doyle as a good pen taker.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Dec 2008 22:36

Cisse - I see him as a blast-it-straight-in man

statto

by statto » 10 Dec 2008 23:16

It always amuses me when the grammatical pedants get it wrong.

"A coma does not demand a capital letter after it." No, but everyone is pleased when you wake up, especially if it's after 20 years.