end of year report - end of season expectations

Woking Royal

Re: end of year report - end of season expectations

by Woking Royal » 06 Jan 2009 08:05

Crowthorne Royal What I don't understand about these points is that Coppell seems oblivious to them. He never critiques a poor performance.

As someone has already hinted I am quite sure Coppell "critiques" EVERY game, and indeed every shortcoming. He is far too astute & experienced for that, and don't forget only a short while ago took us to an 8th place finish in the Prem.!

But I was astonished to hear he had won Manager of the month for December, based apparently upon having the best points haul for the month. First of all I was amazed to hear that we had amassed the most points. All I could remember in December was being cold, bored out of my brain & frustrated watching Reading. It is a joke that points=best Manager. But then MOTM is a joke (and a curse).

To be honest we have not been in a position it seems to properly invest in quality players & football these days is a big money game. The 8th place finish flattereed us a little (well a lot probably). Losing Sidwell in particular was a blow. The falling away of form of Sonko & Shorey who at one stage were superb was a big lose. Granted they have done sod all since. Same for Little (possibly our best player that year?)

We were a side that "clicked" for two seasons, and confidence (a huge part of football) overflowed. Getting relegated knocks any side. Losing quality players, but also losing that spark & confidence.

We are a better than average side in a very competitive division who have some good goal scorers who from time to time this season have blown very hot. we can play very nie football. But then can most teams in this division at times.

If it clicks again, soon!, then we could be in business. But i for one do not get too excited about the thought of another season of under investment & struggling in the Prem. So if we do go up this season lets hope to goodness it is on the strength of some new signings this month, and a step up in gear of ambition.