Back from the Watford game...

206 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game...

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Jan 2009 00:06

Im fairly neutral on harper, my favorite reading personality, been a regular fixture in the side ive grown up watching. However he hasn't been very good this season, not as bad as people make out, just not like the old ambitious harper.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 00:13

Let's not go down the Harper road again. He had a very good game in that he performed his required role within the team structure. As did everyone tonight. The reason we won was that we functioned very well as a TEAM with some bits of quality thrown in now and again.
We had the usual 4-5-1 formation against us which as always means that the opposition shade us on the posession stats. However, as usual, this meant Watford played a lot of nice stuff in front of our two banks of four but rarely caused us a problem.
Some of the pieces of quality
S. Hunt - Two excellent crosses. We scored from one (NHunt) and should have scored from another (Kebe). Also a good first touch and lay off for Armstrongs goal.
Kebe / Rosenior link up - Two goals from crosses from the right in open play from their link up. A great cross from Rosey for Doylers goal. And if you think the keeper cocked up then take note of Cisses part in the goal. He made a great run from deep and just missed getting on the end of the cross. The keeper left it only because Cisse had made that run. That's the unforseen contribution that sometimes gets missed. No run from Cisse and the keeper deals with the cross.
Harper - A number of good passes but a quality one for Lita's goal.
Back 5 - Another clean sheet. If we continue to defend as we are then we'll win a lot of football matches given our goal scoring ability.
Strikers - Normal quality from Doyler. Okay from Noel although he's not hitting the heights of Sep / Oct at present. What I really like is having four strikers available again and some variation. Maybe Leroy stays and maybe he doesn't but we need 4 viable strikers if we are going to win promotion this year.

So, maybe not the prettiest performance to the eye, but a very good TEAM performance in terms of winning a football match.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Jan 2009 00:25

Bloody cold tonight!

and tbh a pretty scrappy game especally first half, second half we played well though despite 4-0 flattering us a bit!

well done to leroy decent return well taken goal!!

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 10 Jan 2009 00:34

Well worth the 2 hour drive down and 2 hour drive back tonite, im not sure if it was the cold but i could have sworn Jesus was in the y 25 stand, fair play to the Watford supporters very vocal, as where we, i am amazed we won tbh as from my view piont they seem to have most of the possesion, but lacked the striking potentional that we had, but who cares 4 0 is all that matters.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 10 Jan 2009 00:35

bishbosh92 Bloody cold tonight!

and tbh a pretty scrappy game especally first half, second half we played well though despite 4-0 flattering us a bit!

Why does it flatter us?... the idea is to score goals and surely the more shots you have then the more chance of scoring you have, also the better quality of the strike i.e not straight at the keeper, then the better chance of scoring too.

without looking at the stats i am sure shots on and off target would have been highly weighted in our favour and for all the Watford possession they had no idea how to breakdown our back 5, which is actually what the game is all about.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 10 Jan 2009 00:45

londinium
bishbosh92 Bloody cold tonight!

Why does it flatter us?... the idea is to score goals and surely the more shots you have then the more chance of scoring you have, also the better quality of the strike i.e not straight at the keeper, then the better chance of scoring too.

without looking at the stats i am sure shots on and off target would have been highly weighted in our favour and for all the Watford possession they had no idea how to breakdown our back 5, which is actually what the game is all about.

londinium, stop it.
That is not what it is about.
Apparently we should be looking for all the things that our players do wrong.

It doesn't matter that we scored four, kept another clean sheet, and got another comfortable three points.

We should be picking up on every little thing that any of our players did wrong, and using it as evidence that Steve Coppell, Stephen Hunt, Jimmy Kebe, Shane Long, James Harper, Leroy Lita and any one else you want to add should be removed from our club.

Forget the league table, we must be better. It's all not good enough.

By the way.....
This was meant to be tongue in cheek.........

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Jan 2009 00:46

Pool and Darts
By the way.....

Ah thanks for clearing that up for us, I thought you were being serious.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 00:59

In fairness though, while I am sure all at the club are delighted with the win, they will be looking at the things that were not right in order to improve. If you rest on your laurels and think everything is OK as we won 4-0 you will become complacent and other teams will overtake you.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 10 Jan 2009 01:03

FiNeRaIn
Pool and Darts
By the way.....

Ah thanks for clearing that up for us, I thought you were being serious.

You have to make it clear on HNA.

Satire is wasted on this lot.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2009 01:09

Thought it was a good display of solid football after a very dull 1st half where watford moved the ball nicely and did nowt with it. Then we started to grab the game and finally some rythym. Fed was great. Back 4 solid.great goal from stretch. Hunty better,midfield did its job with the 5 of watford. Kebe was poor,but i am claiming that assist for hunts? Goal, with his head no less. Thought lita looked sharp and a lovely goal,and pass from harps, doyle and nhunt worked extremely hard,and the team rewarded for its sheer effort. There was some very poor stuff first half though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 01:23

I thought Kebe was really poor, extremely half-hearted at times and never opened his legs, also thought Cisse was poor. (Did someone really say he was awesome earlier?)

Overall a good workmanlike, ultimately impressive performance against a young and struggling team.

We should certainly have had a penalty when Kebe was pulled back a couple of yards away from the goal but any other player on the pitch would have used some muscle to get on the end of the cross. It looks to me like Kebe doesn't have that bravery I'm afraid.

Lita's unchallenged header? Both the effort and the defending deserve a big :shock: Great to see him score though. Released a few demons by the look of it. Let's hope he can push on from this.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Jan 2009 01:53

Royal Rother I thought Kebe was really poor, extremely half-hearted at times and never opened his legs, also thought Cisse was poor. (Did someone really say he was awesome earlier?)

I thought Cisse had a very good game today.

Won a fair few balls and was dangerous getting in the box a few times

//And as probably Harper's biggest critic, I have to say I thought he had a pretty good game too. Actually put in some nice tackles

Both Harper and Cisse deserve some credit against a well organised and packed midfield

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 10 Jan 2009 09:02

I hope your goalie hasn't caught a cold...he must have been pretty cold just standing around for 90 mins with little to do (being paid ofcourse unlike the fans though!)

In reality your back 5 probably won't get an easier game and Doyle/Hunt score easier goals.

We had one problem under Boothroyd which was defending...now we seem to have 2 despite the pssing style we employ (nice but rather ineffective) against a decent promotion winning (likely) side.

Best of luck...just beat the teams around us because we need some hope!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Jan 2009 09:36

Royal Rother I thought Kebe was really poor, extremely half-hearted at times and never opened his legs, also thought Cisse was poor. (Did someone really say he was awesome earlier?)

That was me. I thought he was once again strong in the middle of the park, made a number of important challenges, and when he got the ball he gave it to out wingers quickly. Didn't think Kebe was that bad, the conditions certainly didn't suit him.

silchester rovers

by silchester rovers » 10 Jan 2009 09:41

First game watched live this season - some similarities to games in 05-06 when it looks to be about 'winning football'. There was a lot of balls hit 'over the top' to the forwards. It wa mighty effective though and good goals scored. Doyle and Hunt stood out on creativity. Duberry seems to arm his boots with concrete. One mishit pass actually found a Reading player just in front of him! Keep it going :P

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Back from the Watford game...

by Platypuss » 10 Jan 2009 09:45

I thought Federici was excellent - very quietly effective with great distribution. Took a couple of tricky catches too at important moments in the game.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Jan 2009 09:49

It's true, that's one of the most encouraging thing, competition for places.
Now if only players like Convey can get back up to speed, it wlll only add to what is becoming a solid, solid squad and a selection headache for Super Steve Coppell.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 10 Jan 2009 09:57

Super_horns I hope your goalie hasn't caught a cold...he must have been pretty cold just standing around for 90 mins with little to do (being paid ofcourse unlike the fans though!)

In reality your back 5 probably won't get an easier game and Doyle/Hunt score easier goals.

We had one problem under Boothroyd which was defending...now we seem to have 2 despite the pssing style we employ (nice but rather ineffective) against a decent promotion winning (likely) side.

Best of luck...just beat the teams around us because we need some hope!

Mate, their are plenty of positives your team can take away from last nights match. Firstly, your passing and posession in midfield was very good, first class if i'm allowed to say, certaintly better than us. At least you guys hardly gave away the ball, we had Kebe and Harper (and others) giving every available ball away last night, esspecially in the first half which really annoyed me! As Alex Mcleish would say, 'You ARE a beautiful passing football team', we're not, BUT we do have strength going forward, which is something you lack. Every Reading fan always moans about how we 'lose' to teams at the bottom of the table. I loved the Watford fans, very light-hearted and like my friends' dad said, they're probably used to losing away. I hope you stay up and challenge for the playoffs next season.

Back to Reading and what a game!
The first half was terrible, mind. The second half was a lot better and it was well worth sitting in the freezing cold, toes aching!
I don't know about anyone else, but i really was not paying attention to our 2nd goal-and by the sound of the cheer, neither was anyone around me! I was expecting Leroy's goal, however, beautiful run and goal. I have high hopes for this lad and i want him to stay. Was MUCH better than SLong.

Federici 6- he didn't really have much to do, but made a few good 'training ground' saves.
Armstrong 7- I was VERY impressed with him last night, his goal was brilliant and it released tension for the team and fans alike.
Ingi 7- did very well
Doobs 7- likewise, winning most headers
Rosenior 7- i have to say, i was getting quite annoyed with him in the first half as he mistimed a few kicks, resulting in a watford throw in. 2nd half, he was brilliant. Did well defensively and he made a few good crosses.
S.Hunt 7- I don't know what to say about him tbh. I still don't think he's at his best. However the first goal came through great perseverence by both Hunts and we got the goal.
Harper 7- I thought his pass to Leroy for a 4th goal was very good, he picked him out when the Watford defence seemed to crumble. Very well done Harps, next time, stop giving the ball away!
Cisse-6 If im totally honest, i didn't really notice him much last night.
Kebe 6- Very poor. He really annoyed me throughout the match by giving the ball away, but some of his runs were brilliant. I hope the 'Rosie and Jim' partnership is restored soon.
NHunt 8- Great determination. Brilliantly taken goal. MOTM for me.
Doyle 8- He never gives up. His goal may not have been one of his best, but hey, who cares, it's a goal!

Lita 8-I was really hoping he'd score a goal and after he missed that 'easy' header i thought, ah well. Then after Harper spotted Lita unmarked, his finish was very very good. IMHO i really hope we keep this guy. He's better than SLong and proved that last night with a goal, in his first (league) apperance for the club this season!
SLong 6- Didn't notice him. At all.
Gunnar 6- Similar to SLong.

Over all a very good result. A scoreline which probably flatters us, although i don't entirley agree with that as we had more going forward and were pretty much solid in defence. There is one thing i do want to raise however. My friend made a very good point by saying, 'why do we always rush throw in's and free kicks? we've got time to take them.' Maybe a quickly taken free kick can be an advantage sometimes, but throw in's?
Last edited by S09Royal on 10 Jan 2009 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 10 Jan 2009 09:59

Federici - 7 - no saves to make but his distribution was as ever fantastic.
Armstrong - 8 - player of the first half, faded a bit in the second. Worked tirelessly, got a well-deserved goal.
Duberry - 6 - not much to do, gave away a few fouls.
Ingimarsson - 6 - as above.
Rosenior - 7 - one of his weaker games but still worked hard on the right.
S. Hunt - 8 - looking to impress? Never stopped running.
Harper - 6 - stood off too much.
Cisse - 7 - tackled, ran, popped up everywhere. Couple of times, a bit casual.
Kebe - 5 - created very little today, didn't look up for it.
Doyle - 8 - Ran, ran, ran, ran. Intelligent play in particular in the first half.
N. Hunt - 7 - Same as Doyle really, though lost possession more.

Lita - 6 - got a goal obviously, great run, but up to his old tricks of trying to win the foul not the ball.
Long - 5 - anonymous but it didn't matter.
Gunnarsson - 5 - just average really...

Referee - 6 - let the game flow, but gave VERY odd and inconsistent decisions.

Overall - 7 - if we can play this averagely and still grind out 4-0 wins then what lies ahead?

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 10 Jan 2009 10:18

I'm surprised by the "we didn't deserve to win 4-0" comments because I thought we did. The second half performance was a good throw back to the 05/06 days where we bossed it. Our pass and move play, especially down the wings was much improved. Cisse did a great job in the middle and made up for Harpers usual non-existance.

I really like NHunt, he never stops running and has some great hold up play. I thought he took his goal well.

A big LOL @ Lita, it's the only time I've booed (in my head) when one of our players scored. The chest banging, I mean come on. Give it a break and oxf*rd off. His miss about five minutes before his goal was top draw; open goal, no challenge, easy header, puts it well wide.

206 posts