4-4-2

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: 4-4-2

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2009 09:10

I think the problem is that our current centre midfield pairing aren't intelligent enough. Cisse has been chasing shadows in the last two games and as a result the centre of the pitch has been dominated by the opposition. I know Harper has not been in the best form of his life recently but I lost count of the number of times he did not have an easy short pass to Cisse available to him. Unfortunately when Boris came in, he looked even slower than the last time home game I saw him at. I dunno really, I don't think playing 4-5-1 at home is the answer, we just need to be more dynamic in the middle and cut out this tactic of allowing their midfield to play around in front of the defence. This is great when it can soak everything up but even Doobs and Pearce are looking low in confidence. I'd like to see Karacan and Harper on Saturday, just don't rate Matejovsky at all I'm afraid

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Feb 2009 09:16

:shock: :o Marek's only problem is that he's too good for this team AND this division. His passing is spot on, it's the other players who aren't reading the game as well as him.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:19

Premier League players should stand out in this division. I've never bought this 'he is too good' argument. If his touch and range of passing is better than most then he should be able to dictate the play around him.

'...and Matejvosky delivers another inch-perfect pass to no-one in particular'.

Sorry, but he needs to bring his team-mates into the game, not wait for them to get on his wavelength.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2009 09:20

:lol: :lol: :lol: A star shining so brightly, that he can't get ahead of a mis-firing James Harper in a team without a goal in four games. A star shining so brightly that all those clubs in the Premiership that could have purchased him in the two transfer windows, errr didn't. Yep, he is miles and away the best central midfielder in this team and league and should be playing in the Premiership. Women, know your limits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Feb 2009 09:21

As he's not being played regularly, it's pretty difficult when he comes on as a sub for 20 mins or less.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:21

Royal Lady As he's not being played regularly, it's pretty difficult when he comes on as a sub for 20 mins or less.

Hereon known as 'The Shane Long Paradox'.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Feb 2009 09:22

cmonurz Premier League players should stand out in this division. I've never bought this 'he is too good' argument. If his touch and range of passing is better than most then he should be able to dictate the play around him.

Sorry, but he needs to bring his team-mates into the game, not wait for them to get on his wavelength.

It was the old excuse for Darren Caskey, and cut no ice then.

Anyone can hit fancy looking passes into acres of space but a proper footballer knows it's a team game and that his passes need to find a team mate - it's pretty basic stuff. There is of course the need for the team to make best use of their most talented players but the idea that a pass is 'too good' is almost laughable.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Feb 2009 09:23

Huntley & Palmer :lol: :lol: :lol: A star shining so brightly, that he can't get ahead of a mis-firing James Harper in a team without a goal in four games. A star shining so brightly that all those clubs in the Premiership that could have purchased him in the two transfer windows, errr didn't. Yep, he is miles and away the best central midfielder in this team and league and should be playing in the Premiership. Women, know your limits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll see, Hunts, we'll see.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:27

The semi-pros on here can put me right but if we are playing
and set up for 4-4-2 and the opposition goes 4-5-1 why can't a CB step up into midfield?

I realise Doobs/Pearce wouldn't be right for that, but what about Bikey?

I ask, because I'd guess Bikey would work well in a 4-4-2 where that happened

Personally I would love to see him in midfield either stepping up or in front of two CBs

If he can avoid a red card he's a ball winner, powerful, can head the ball, can pass a bit, shoot a bit

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Feb 2009 09:28

cmonurz Premier League players should stand out in this division. I've never bought this 'he is too good' argument. If his touch and range of passing is better than most then he should be able to dictate the play around him.

He is too good, and he's rarely been given the chance to dictate play. When he goes a rare chance to play, it's clear that he's always looking for runners to play the ball to, usually in a progressive way, where it hurts the defence - it's only ever when Marek plays these days that we ever get to see S Hunt able to get in behind defenders into dangerous positions; Hunt's not good enough to beat them, so needs a Matejovsky to split defences, as MM did twice on Saturday (unfortunately S Hunt squandered the opportunities, probably as much out of shock as anything).

But Marek's the type of 'continental' player who will only play the ball to feet, so stuck for someone to put through, he'll either just play a short pass or - too often, arguably - ends up getting caught in possession. In other words, our limited style of play is making him look ineffective. I guarantee he will end up playing for a decent Premier League (or Serie A or La Liga) outfit if this continues. Get N Hunt in there with Doyle, MM behind them and protected by Harps and Cisse, and watch him set the division alight. It can work.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:29

Matejovsky wasn't spraying bad passes. He looked pure class.

For one thing he can actually hold the ball, and almost every pass he made was a peach

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2009 09:29

Royal Lady
Huntley & Palmer :lol: :lol: :lol: A star shining so brightly, that he can't get ahead of a mis-firing James Harper in a team without a goal in four games. A star shining so brightly that all those clubs in the Premiership that could have purchased him in the two transfer windows, errr didn't. Yep, he is miles and away the best central midfielder in this team and league and should be playing in the Premiership. Women, know your limits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll see, Hunts, we'll see.

We shall, I fully expect Matejovsky to take this league by the throat and lead us to the title. He should be made club captain, his face should be on posters around the ground pointing saying 'We need you' . I see a midfield where we lose posession and fail to win secondary balls, Matejovsky is not the answer to that.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:29

Snowball The semi-pros on here can put me right but if we are playing
and set up for 4-4-2 and the opposition goes 4-5-1 why can't a CB step up into midfield?

Presumably you mean to play 3-5-2? I wouldn't fancy Rosenior and Armstrong as two of three centre-backs, and do we really want to trust SHunt and Kebe as wing-backs?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:30

CMRoyal
cmonurz Premier League players should stand out in this division. I've never bought this 'he is too good' argument. If his touch and range of passing is better than most then he should be able to dictate the play around him. '...and Matejvosky delivers another inch-perfect pass to no-one in particular'.

He is too good, and he's rarely been given the chance to dictate play. When he goes a rare chance to play, it's clear that he's always looking for runners to play the ball to, usually in a progressive way, where it hurts the defence - it's only ever when Marek plays these days that we ever get to see S Hunt able to get in behind defenders into dangerous positions; Hunt's not good enough to beat them, so needs a Matejovsky to split defences, as MM did twice on Saturday (unfortunately S Hunt squandered the opportunities, probably as much out of shock as anything).

But Marek's the type of 'continental' player who will only play the ball to feet, so stuck for someone to put through, he'll either just play a short pass or - too often, arguably - ends up getting caught in possession. In other words, our limited style of play is making him look ineffective. I guarantee he will end up playing for a decent Premier League (or Serie A or La Liga) outfit if this continues. Get N Hunt in there with Doyle, MM behind them and protected by Harps and Cisse, and watch him set the division alight. It can work.

Agreed, except you're gonna have to drop one of Kebs/S Hunt for that

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2009 09:30

Snowball Matejovsky wasn't spraying bad passes. He looked pure class.

For one thing he can actually hold the ball, and almost every pass he made was a peach

Got any stats to back that up, otherwise your opinion is worthless

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:34

cmonurz
Snowball The semi-pros on here can put me right but if we are playing

Presumably you mean to play 3-5-2? I wouldn't fancy Rosenior and Armstrong as two of three centre-backs, and do we really want to trust SHunt and Kebe as wing-backs?

No I don't. I mean simply that Bikey steps up to take their forward central midfielder
IF the opposition is playing 4-5-1

If we were going to play 3-5-2 I'd play Doobs-Bikey and Pearce as the three Armstrong and Rosy wide

I wouldn't expect as much out and out wing play but we'd have Matejovsky as the play-maker
with more stuff through the middle

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:35

Huntley & Palmer
Snowball Matejovsky wasn't spraying bad passes. He looked pure class.

Got any stats to back that up, otherwise your opinion is worthless

Nope, it just counters your unproven opinion. Nah-hah-nah-naaa-nah

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Feb 2009 09:37

Snowball
CMRoyal
cmonurz Premier League players should stand out in this division. I've never bought this 'he is too good' argument. If his touch and range of passing is better than most then he should be able to dictate the play around him. '...and Matejvosky delivers another inch-perfect pass to no-one in particular'.

Agreed, except you're gonna have to drop one of Kebs/S Hunt for that

Kebe at the moment is lacking in confidence, and N Hunt can 'tuck in' on the right. I'm worried about Rosey, he's had a poor run of form, but his pace would be needed as a wing back in my dream team! Kebe would take Long's place as "impact sub" - for his pace against tiring defences at the end of games.

Plus I'd put Bikey in for Pearce, who hasn't done much wrong but who is lacking pace and has poor distribution. So dream team would be:-

Feds
Rosey
Bikey
Doobs
Stretch
Harps
Cisse
N Hunt
S Hunt
Marek
Doyler

Subs:-

Marcus
Gunnar
Tabb
Kebe
Lita

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:37

I'm saying that 'in-game', if Bikey is stepping up to mark their attacking midfielder, our defensive line will by necessity become narrower, otherwise other runners from the opposition midfield will over-run our defence. It would also put pressure on our wingers to defend more.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Feb 2009 09:37

Snowball Nope, it just counters your unproven opinion. Nah-hah-nah-naaa-nah

Brilliant, the world's first 60+ year old child :lol: