Play-off Watch

145 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Play-off Watch

by The 17 Bus » 15 Mar 2009 07:53

sawyers left arm Why go up we are quite simply not good enough. Looking at the table and our form we will finish outside the top 6 at this rate.

Because without promotion, relegation there is no point following your team, there is no guarantee of anything in football. Hull were odds on for bottom of the table, wrong. If we go up we are guaranteed football at least in level two for 2010/11, something that we will not be guaranteed if we do not go up.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Mar 2009 07:54

sawyers left arm Why go up we are quite simply not good enough. Looking at the table and our form we will finish outside the top 6 at this rate.

As i've said all season, in the medium to long term, we're not going to progress due to manager/chairman issue. However, mid table mediocrity and financial stability is better than mid table mediocrity with less financial stability.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: In our current form............

by Rex » 15 Mar 2009 07:59

As has been memtioned we have the 4th worst form on show. That says something.

true blue 4 ever

by true blue 4 ever » 15 Mar 2009 08:45

North Somerset Royal Whilst I suspect that we will make the play offs there is no way I can see us beating any of the other likely PO contenders over two legs so I doubt very much whether a trip to Wembley will result. However at least we will be saved the embarrassment of the current squad performing in the Prem.

Couldn't agree more....we don't have a hope

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 15 Mar 2009 08:47

Watford f*cked it up last season I am now convinced we will do the same.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 15 Mar 2009 08:56

We will miss out on the play offs finishing 7th or 8th and be left with a club in need of great cahnge.

Watford and Charlton last season are examples of what can happen if it is not sorted quick.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 15 Mar 2009 09:07

If by some fluke we do go up, if nothing is changes (ie no money spent) we will beat Derby's record.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Mar 2009 09:09

WestCoast Life If by some fluke we do go up, if nothing is changes (ie no money spent) we will beat Derby's record.
And if we don't go up, our better players will go and we'll bring in sub standard replacements as usual. Good times. :cry:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Mar 2009 09:21

The Real Sandhurst Royal We will miss out on the play offs finishing 7th or 8th and be left with a club in need of great change.

If we go up - the club needs investment. Stay down the club will sell players. Either way the team is still in flux.

backintheday

by backintheday » 15 Mar 2009 09:31

WestCoast Life If by some fluke we do go up, if nothing is changes (ie no money spent) we will beat Derby's record.

It would have to be a major fluke now and the money needed to be spent to even allow us to compete will not be available.
Finish in the play offs, beaten home & away in the semi's.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Mar 2009 09:58

You can now get almost 8/1 for us to win this league... about right

But why have the bookies still got us at odds-on for promotion?

Surely no Reading fans are putting money on?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 15 Mar 2009 19:29

Royal Lady
And if we don't go up, our better players will go and we'll bring in sub standard replacements as usual. Good times. :cry:

:lol:

I keep hearing this same old crap about 'losing our best players'.. Apart from Doyle, who is irreplaceable? We have a load of talent out on loan doing the business at other clubs. I think if we don't go up then we still have very strong foundations and realistically we have no irreplaceable players to lose....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Mar 2009 19:38

agree totally with that

at the very least if we dont go up and coppell leaves we have the makings of a very good young talented team to replace the ones who go

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 15 Mar 2009 20:25

Er, no actually. I wondered about this so I did a bit of unscientific lies, damn lies and stats. I took all the teams and looked at their last 6 results, so for example Wolves and Brum are averaging 1.83 points per game at the moment, while we are averaging 0.83 per game. Making the big assumption that current form stays the same to the end of the season, that gives us this predicted final table....

So even on current shocking form we still comfortably finish in a play-off place. And not only that we get to knock Sheff U out in the semis!

working class hero

by working class hero » 15 Mar 2009 21:22

The 17 Bus Not sure we have really looked nailed on certs for promotion, certs for the play-offs yes.

At the moment my hope would still be for a top two finish, dented this week by results. If that aim falls away then play-offs will be what i look towards, at each drop in expectation I look to the next best thing.

Well I don't think we will be relegated :roll:

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 15 Mar 2009 21:55

Billy The Fish

Er, no actually. I wondered about this so I did a bit of unscientific lies, damn lies and stats. I took all the teams and looked at their last 6 results, so for example Wolves and Brum are averaging 1.83 points per game at the moment, while we are averaging 0.83 per game. Making the big assumption that current form stays the same to the end of the season, that gives us this predicted final table....

So even on current shocking form we still comfortably finish in a play-off place. And not only that we get to knock Sheff U out in the semis!

Excellent - already looking forward to it. What are the dates by the way?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 16 Mar 2009 11:07

Billy The Fish So even on current shocking form we still comfortably finish in a play-off place. And not only that we get to knock Sheff U out in the semis!

Not sure about comfortably, but I agree we should just scrape in on current form but this is more down to the fact that Preston, Swansea and Bristol City are only marginally better than us on form and are running out of games. They'll get closer, but if we continue to scratch around a point a game, we should be safe. However, although we won't get drubbed in the playoffs, clearly we will be the rank outsiders if form amongst the top 6 persists as it has done recently. My latest forecasted top 8:-

1. Wolves - 87
2. Brum - 84
3. Sheff U - 78
4. Reading - 76
5. Cardiff - 75
6. Burnley - 75
7. Preston - 69
8. Swansea - 69

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Mar 2009 11:21

Billy's table really shows how the form book has gone out the window in the Championship. Just three sides scoring less than a point a game in their last 6, and only two teams scoring more than two points game over the same period.

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 23 Mar 2009 01:05

moo What are the dates of the playoffs? Better arrange the work diary around it :cry:

8th-17th Coca-Cola Football League Play-Off Semi-Finals
No confirmed dates as yet

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Mar 2009 08:35

bb0118
moo What are the dates of the playoffs? Better arrange the work diary around it :cry:

8th-17th Coca-Cola Football League Play-Off Semi-Finals
No confirmed dates as yet

If I have it right the first May day bank holiday is the last weekend of the season and the second bank holiday is when the playoff finals are.

145 posts