Just how bad have we been at home

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: Just how bad have we been at home

by glass half full » 04 May 2009 14:41

We have not lost at home since May 3rd....

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 04 May 2009 17:21

Southbank Old Boy
Avon Royal The fans have got to take their share of the blame.

Yesterday we showed we can do it when we want to, but the performance of "number 13" over the 4 months prior to that has been awful.

The players need to inspire the crowd not send them into depression!!! :roll:

All these excuses about the pitch, the crowd, the opposition, bad luck are just a cover up

We didnt have enough to unlock teams who came to try and keep their point after our earlier run of form tonking teams who were a bit more attacking. Players then lost confidence and ideas and the management failed to do anything about it

The last 4 months have cost us dear

The excuse about the pitch is clearly now proved to be wrong. I thought the pitch looked amazing yesterday considering what it DID look like after all the rain and rugby. What did it look like on the TV? And I didn't notice any bobbles as the ball was passed about, seemed true enough. Just shit players that didn't want the ball basically.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 May 2009 17:23

W- 0

D - 3

L - 5

The home form of sides that are generally adrift at the bottom of the table

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 May 2009 17:24

Avon Royal
Gunny Fishcake

Yesterday we showed we can do it when we want to, but the performance of "number 13" over the 4 months prior to that has been awful.

The fans !!! I've never heard so much crap in my life , the fans don't play , the fans don't get thousands a week for playing so poorly , the fans pay their money and get behind the team when the team show they are prepared to sweat blood for the shirt .....the fans have absolutely nothing to do with our home form .......clutching straws.....

So the fans have absolutely nothing to do with home form? Really? :roll:

Agree with Gunny Fishcake - absolutely stupid comment to say the fans are partly to blame?! The players are paid to play football and train 40 hours a week to do so. The fans do play some part in the game and I'm not naieve enough to think that they have no influence. But to believe that fans are partly to blame for shit form week-in, week-out is a pathetic excuse.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2009 17:31

But IF the pitch made ball-play difficult and (some) fans could barely wait
to trash the likes of Kebe or Hunt, then game-upon-game, players may avoid
running with the ball. It was noticeable that yesterday neither Hunt nor Kebe
wanted to run with the ball, and Coppell himself said "too many players
didn't seem to want the ball" (unlike Bikey and Matejovsky)

While not directly blaming poor support or excusing players, I do believe
that excessive negativity will leak through to and affect players.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 04 May 2009 17:33

The Real Sandhurst Royal Avon Royal, wrote:
The fans have got to take their share of the blame.

I trust you made the long away evening trips to Wolves, Burnley,Cardiff, Doncaster, Sheffield Wedenesday, Derby and Norwich to make a comment on the fans taking their share of the blame!!

Ooops I forgot to mention Dagenham and Stoke in the carliing cup as well.

I went to Wolves, Donny, Sheffield UTD (not weds), Norwich, Burnley (fcuk me that was freezing!), Stoke in the cup (from a box so not so bad), Birmingham, Plymouth, Forrest, Barnsley... And had to take holiday time for at least half of those (I only get 15 days a year), plus the holidays I had to take for some of the home games as well.

Do I have the right to say anything?

I'm trying to convince my brother-in-law to come with me to the playoffs as the 2 games he came with me we scored 3 goals in each (Wolves and Birmingham)... But he lives in Stafford and his first child is due on the 14th, so it's unlikely.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 May 2009 07:43

bobby1413 Agree with Gunny Fishcake - absolutely stupid comment to say the fans are partly to blame?! The players are paid to play football and train 40 hours a week to do so. The fans do play some part in the game and I'm not naieve enough to think that they have no influence. But to believe that fans are partly to blame for shit form week-in, week-out is a pathetic excuse.

Way to contradict yourself...............

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 May 2009 16:48

I would like to know from any stattos out there whether this awful home form is comparable to any other in our history.

Whistle

by Whistle » 05 May 2009 17:19

I think it said in the programme it would equal worst ever in the Lge with 54/55 and 91/92 - neither of them exactly glory years.

I'm sure that IF WE WENT UP it would be a record poor home run-in for a promoted team, for what it's worth.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 May 2009 17:40

Alan Sedunary asked me a similar question a coulpe of weeks back, and delving into the league history of RFC shows this current 8 game no home win streak equals our worst ever in the league anyway. It's now happened 3 times:

Will dig out the League/Cup?Play-off version to see if that's actually worse!

Just done the Cup/POff check, and we still have 8 as the worst run. In fact the 1991 sequence is halted after 7 games when we beat Slough Town 2-1 in an FAC game on 27/11/91.

So if we donlt beat Burnley in the POff 2nd leg, that will be a club record 9 consecutive home games without a win in League/Cup?POff games.

And to think, we can STILL go up with such a dire home record!! Watch out teh Premiership I say!! Just what can we achieve when we get our home record back on track!!! (How's that for positivity?)
Last edited by strap on 05 May 2009 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 05 May 2009 17:41

If we play well it builds the atmosphere. Of course, in an ideal world, we should go on singing at the top of our voices, but it goes against human nature. We might be able to manage a burst of encouragement here and there, but the fact is we feel depressed, apprehensive, etc. when the team is doing badly, and we go quiet, and of course that transmits itself back to the pitch. But it's the same everywhere. It's a myth that we have a rubbish crowd, though the acoustics of our stadium don't help.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 May 2009 18:02

Schards#2 W- 0
D - 3
L - 5
The home form of sides that are generally adrift at the bottom of the table

With the obvious exception of Derby County last season, I think any team in last place, even if adrift, would expect to have a better record than that.

themadstad

by themadstad » 05 May 2009 18:14

The home form hasn't been good. So if we look at it since 27th Jan we have collected 6 points out of 27. However, since the 27th Jan Charlton have collected 13 out of 27 points at home. So we have been worse at home than Charlton at home since Jan!

So this may not be an accurate reflection of our last 9 home games compared to Charlton's last 9. Ok then since 27th we've hosted; Wolves, PNE, Bristol, Nott Forest, Charlton, Ipswich, Sheff Utd, Barnsley and Birmingham. Take Charlton's results from hosting the same teams replacing our home game with them when they took us on at their place. So that makes it equal now and out of our last 9 games with Charlton playing the same 9, as we now know, we have 6/27 points, but Charlton have 8/27 points.

Oh dear.....

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 May 2009 18:54

Whistle I'm sure that IF WE WENT UP it would be a record poor home run-in for a promoted team, for what it's worth.

we could kick off in the premiership without a home win for over 7 months, but unbeaten away in the same amount of time.

zummerset

by zummerset » 05 May 2009 19:01

To suggest that the pitch or the fans are to blame is rollocks. The manager picks the team and strategy and players use their 'skill'? to deliver in 90 minutes. We have lacked leadership and decisiveness at home and thats the whole damn thing- frankly we lokk a bit timid and ghey at home which is why we are sitting in the playoffs and not seeing Brum there + of course the theatrics of some players who would be better on a stage than a pitch.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 05 May 2009 19:09

Avon Royal
bobby1413 Agree with Gunny Fishcake - absolutely stupid comment to say the fans are partly to blame?! The players are paid to play football and train 40 hours a week to do so. The fans do play some part in the game and I'm not naieve enough to think that they have no influence. But to believe that fans are partly to blame for shit form week-in, week-out is a pathetic excuse.

Way to contradict yourself...............

I'll clarify what I said:

- Fans can influence the game in some way
- Disagree that we should take any blame for the players poor performances week after week
- Players are paid to play and over the last 10-15 games they haven't done so very effectively (in general)

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 06 May 2009 00:49

Avon Royal
Forbury Lion
I disagree.

In no other sport would you have the fans blamed for the poor performance of the athletes.

Some of our players lack belief in the team, some of them have too much belief in their own ability - Back to basics and keep it simple, that's the message I will be relaying if I was manager.

"Share" of the blame, "share" of the blame.

I can't believe that some people refuse to acknowledge that a supportive and vocal home crowd will assist the players (just ask them). Of course it won't win games on it's own, but the motivational aspect can help to make a positive difference.

errr i seem to remember the fans sense of relief, urging the team on to bang in a 3rd against charlton at home only for the team to play into their hands thinking the game was safe, throwing it away with 5 mins to go-bad decision making and sloppy play cannot be blamed on fans if it is something which creeps into each players game to begin with.

joe999

by joe999 » 06 May 2009 01:11

Gunny Fishcake

The fans !!! I've never heard so much crap in my life , the fans don't play , the fans don't get thousands a week for playing so poorly , the fans pay their money and get behind the team when the team show they are prepared to sweat blood for the shirt .....the fans have absolutely nothing to do with our home form .......clutching straws.....

well said that man, for a few grand a week Id put in a SHITLOAD more effort than some of them have been at the madejski in the last few months. And when we're 100 quid out of pocket each week to PAY to watch it, moaning at us is a load of cheek