The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Steve Coppell appreciation and thank you thread

by kwik-silva » 13 May 2009 10:28

Thanks Steve :) Just for staying on for this season, for beating Pardew, for giving us a taste of Premier League Glory! :)

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 13 May 2009 10:50

Steve was the best thing to happen to reading is it long proud history

Without his passion, wisdom and calm under pressure tactics we would would have never tasted the glory of premiership football, and for this i think you

One of the most respected figures in football with the respect of ALL players / fans and managers

Steve you will be missed but will never be forgotton as a true Reading legend, Move over Robin Friday

Good luck with whatever you do, im not only a Reading fan im a Coppell fan too

Berry

by Berry » 13 May 2009 11:20

In the age of stupid Premiership wages and prima donnas in football one man stood head and shoulders above them all, Steve Coppell, the man has to be respected, It wasnt just him that got it wrong at the end, the team let him down and more importantly Mr Mad never gave the backing he deserved. I hope he finds a team where he will be respected, I for one will cheer everytime I see him in a dugout......Thanks Steve

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 13 May 2009 11:22

Thank you Sir Steve, for some of the best football and most exciting matches i've seen in my 22 years following Reading. The way we tore teams apart in the 05/06 season and the way we handled the huge step up to the Premiership League the following year were a sheer joy to watch. The amount of praise heaped on you, and the team, during your reign is testament to your excellence.

Cheers Coppell - It's been emotional.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 May 2009 11:43

And we didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to him or stand up for him one last time at the end of the game. :cry:

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 13 May 2009 18:58

Thank You Sir Steve! You came into a club which was growing, and took us to heights I never dreamed of when standing on the terraces at Elm Park. To have ever been able to sing about going into Europe, even though we narrowly missed it will remain a highlight for me, as will watching the record breaking royals run rampant in the CCC and bringing the title back.

Good luck to you in the future - if ever you want a job in the backroom, I suspect the door will be forever open.

IceRoyalsandKDoyles

by IceRoyalsandKDoyles » 13 May 2009 19:16

Thank you for the amazing 6 seasons you have finished with us here at the Madejski. You have made the reputation of this football club grow immensely and we have acheived so much more than we ever could have dreamed of 6 years ago. I'm very sad to see you leave but I understand it is the right time, and I wish you the best of luck for the future - I will look out for any of your future endeavours. Once again, thank you for
making such an impact on this club, and also me personally. Steve, you are a Reading FC Legend.

p.s. How has this thread only got 2 pages?!?! Our greatest manager EVER and we only have 2 pages of appreciation and thanks?!?!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 13 May 2009 19:20

In 138 years of history, he delivered the best, 2nd best, 3rd best and 5th best seasons we've ever had.

I thank you very much. Would like to have you at the club in some capacity... Not sure what though as we have squeaky in your job at the moment...

me

by me » 13 May 2009 19:32

The name Steve Coppell will forever be associated with Reading Football Club. He has been by far the best manager this club has had, and in all honesty, will ever have. He is a man of extreme integrity.

A true legend, the man deserves a statue.

IceRoyalsandKDoyles

by IceRoyalsandKDoyles » 13 May 2009 19:34

me A true legend, the man deserves a statue.

+1

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 13 May 2009 20:02

Thanks for everything Steve you are by far the best manager we have ever had and also one of the most honest men I've ever met in a business that is full of snake oil salesmen. I'll always associate you with that day at Leicester - see you back in football soon and thanks again for everything.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2009 20:04

Intelligent, witty, thoughtful, honest and dedicated. All qualities of Steve Coppell and generally all qualities sadly lacking from most of those involved in football these days.

Thanks Steve, you let us live the dream and it was fantastic. Your worst seasons were some of our best ever. Don't be a stranger, you'll always be welcome at the club.

Thank you and good luck.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 13 May 2009 20:05

so surely we can expect to see all of you coppell appreciators at the mad stad tomorrow ?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 May 2009 20:06

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 82,00.html

As a young boy, I remember on so many occasions my dad and uncles sat in a pub garden talking about football, and they all said we would never play in the top flight, not in our life time they said.
I hated hearing that. I had dreams, we wouldn't always be little ol' Reading. But they wouldn't hear of it. But you made so many dreams come true. You brought tears to grown mens eyes. You truly are the best manager we have ever had here, and with a lump in my throat, possibly always will be. We're an average sized club with big club dreams, and you gave us a taste of what could be. For three years, we were giants! I wish you all the very best, come back and support us as and when possible. Thank you so much for all you have done. Take care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... re=related

Sometimes I get to feelin
I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids when we were young
Thing seemed so perfect - you know
The days were endless we were crazy we were young
The sun was always shinin - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just dont know
The rest of my lifes been just a show

Those were the days of our lives
The bad things in life were so few
Those days are all gone now but one thing is true
When I look and I find I still love you

You cant turn back the clock you cant turn back the tide
Aint that a shame
Id like to go back one time on a roller coaster ride
When life was just a game
No use in sitting and thinkin on what you did
When you can lay back and enjoy it through your kids
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just dont know
Better sit back and go with the flow

Cos these are the days of our lives
Theyve flown in the swiftness of time
These days are all gone now but some things remain
When I look and I find no change

Those were the days of our lives - yeah
The bad things in life were so few
Those days are all gone now but one things still true
When I look and I find
I still love you

I still love you

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 May 2009 22:46

cheers steve enjoy the golf come back some time to watch us get promoted

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 14 May 2009 06:31

Football management is like batting in cricket. You can hit a massive total and still get slated when you get caught out. As far as I'm concerned, Coppell hit a splendid double century in terms of achievement for this club. Though the seasons in the Premiership were fun (one more than the other!), my favourite moments as a Reading fan came when we destroyed the Championship. The football was sensational, the results were even better and, most importantly, it was fun being a Reading fan.

It is highly unlikely that Reading, or any other club, will see a season of dominance like that one again. It was bloody brilliant and Steve Coppell was the man who made it.

Past achievements cannot not justify such a poor season, I strongly believe that Coppell was accountable for our failings this season and, to a lesser extent, the previous one. As such, I think it was time for him to leave. However, failing to appreciate the man who brought us the best ever Reading side is disgraceful.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 14 May 2009 08:02

I feel much sadder that Coppell is going than I do about losing in the play-offs.

As others have said, he has been undoubtedly the best manager Reading have ever had. More than that, he not only brought us success but did it with a style, dignity and good grace that helped to make the club respected and admired far beyond its fanbase.

I know it is impossible, but I would feel much happier if Steve's sabbatical could be followed by him coming back to Reading refreshed and ready to build a new winning team. Our loss will in time be anotehr club's gain. I for one will always give him a welcome back at our place, whoever he is managing. I fear that before too long he will show us what we've lost.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 May 2009 08:15

This thread's over a day old and only 37 replies. Reading fans are a bunch of ungrateful pcunts.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 May 2009 08:50

More like the system kept crashing - I managed to get two posts in all day. :|

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 14 May 2009 08:59

Steve Coppell - thanks for giving your time and commitment to Reading Football Club delivering the premiership dream for the Reading fans that put us on the global football map. I never thought Reading Football club would feature on the BBC News all day following your resignation.

Your level headed approach to the game of football will be missed by all; whatever or wherever you end up you will always be in the hearts of the Reading Fans.