What are we here for?

238 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What are we here for?

by strap » 30 Jun 2009 13:47

Preaching to the converted here Mr I. I made a similalr point on another thread about signings. Perhaps it's interesting to note that it's the older fans (40+) who seem to be worried about the apparent lack of ambition. One would have thought that after following the club for so many years, the older fans would have been thankful for just a glimpse of the promised land. Whereas we seem to be worried about a mediocre future, the younger, vibrant, brigade appear to see our current situation as a springboard to getting back to the top, a lull in proceedings if you will.

I suppose the oldies, having seen so many years of mediocrity, (being kind!), have a deep fear of seeing the club they love slip back into the old ways. Whereas the younger fans, having been brought up on FSB and beyond, have only been supporting the club through it's halcyon years, and aside from Burns and Bulilvant, have only known success. Maybe they just think success is the norm?

"Strap turning to social commentary shock". Must be the close-season!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Jun 2009 13:48

donface LOL@anyone who thinks Madejski makes money out of football.

LOL

But what price to go from someone very few people had heard of to a household name?

Some people really value fame and all of the trappings that come with it. And if you have to buy your own fame, it isn't going to come cheap.

Maybe he hasn't made money (yet) out of football but I also suspect it hasn't cost him anywhere near as much as some like to make out either.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Jun 2009 13:49

West Stand Man Well I'll be the one to burst the bubble about the original post. Far from being a 'top post', it is drivel of the first order. Why? Well if that isn't obvious to you then no explanation will make it any clearer - you just haven't got the intellect to cope with it.

Yup, could have been more polite in my response - but what the hell.

Tw@t. Why? Well if that isn't obvious to you then no explanation will make it any clearer - you just haven't got the intellect to cope with it.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 30 Jun 2009 13:49

I think we should just spunk £50 million on a 11 players. Then if we don't get promoted this season the club will fold meaning we can all chose more successful clubs to support guilt free. Its win win.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Jun 2009 13:51

donface LOL@anyone who thinks Madejski makes money out of football.

LOL

The only way he will is when he sells us as a Premiership club. So he's not gonna cost us promotion by being tight, it makes no sense. JM ain't perfect, but he knows how to make money.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jun 2009 14:33

Oh good, another thread telling us how badly this club is run. I'm sure the fans of 75% of the other league clubs would love it if their clubs were runs as badly.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jun 2009 14:51

strap Preaching to the converted here Mr I. I made a similalr point on another thread about signings. Perhaps it's interesting to note that it's the older fans (40+) who seem to be worried about the apparent lack of ambition. One would have thought that after following the club for so many years, the older fans would have been thankful for just a glimpse of the promised land. Whereas we seem to be worried about a mediocre future, the younger, vibrant, brigade appear to see our current situation as a springboard to getting back to the top, a lull in proceedings if you will.

I suppose the oldies, having seen so many years of mediocrity, (being kind!), have a deep fear of seeing the club they love slip back into the old ways. Whereas the younger fans, having been brought up on FSB and beyond, have only been supporting the club through it's halcyon years, and aside from Burns and Bulilvant, have only known success. Maybe they just think success is the norm?

At 40++(+++++) myself, I am an exception to that rule. I don't want to see us slipping back, but I didn't really like what we were becoming. I do think there's a middle ground between arrogance and medocrity, and it's a pity that Doyler won't be part of that if/when it happens. But I remain confident that the success will continue for a while yet. Mind you, when I say success, I only mean top half of the second tier. :wink:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 30 Jun 2009 14:56

CMRoyal
strap Preaching to the converted here Mr I. I made a similalr point on another thread about signings. Perhaps it's interesting to note that it's the older fans (40+) who seem to be worried about the apparent lack of ambition. One would have thought that after following the club for so many years, the older fans would have been thankful for just a glimpse of the promised land. Whereas we seem to be worried about a mediocre future, the younger, vibrant, brigade appear to see our current situation as a springboard to getting back to the top, a lull in proceedings if you will.

At 40++(+++++) myself, I am an exception to that rule. I don't want to see us slipping back, but I didn't really like what we were becoming. I do think there's a middle ground between arrogance and medocrity, and it's a pity that Doyler won't be part of that if/when it happens. But I remain confident that the success will continue for a while yet. Mind you, when I say success, I only mean top half of the second tier. :wink:

Well, I must say I am amazed. In my experience it is precisely the other way round. The old and bold brigade are, generally, more content with our current status having suffered the past awfulness. The heady youth expect to stay up in the PL for ever - and can't accept less. Mind you, as I've only been supporting the club since 1961 I suppose I am a mere youngster too!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 14:59

West Stand Man Well I'll be the one to burst the bubble about the original post. Far from being a 'top post', it is drivel of the first order. Why? Well if that isn't obvious to you then no explanation will make it any clearer - you just haven't got the intellect to cope with it.

Yup, could have been more polite in my response - but what the hell.

You win the award for worst and most moronic post of the day.

Stating you disagree with something and using an argument of " Well if that isn't obvious to you then no explanation will make it any clearer - you just haven't got the intellect to cope with it ". What a ridiculous and worthless contribution.

Sorry but LOL just pure and utter LOLOLOL.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:03

I've heard Reading fans say they're as big and bigger than Pompey and Southampton. :lol:

Pompey - 4 major trophies, many finals and lower league titles

Southampton - top flight 27 years

Reading are a joke. No history at all

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 15:06

Carlin20 I've heard Reading fans say they're as big and bigger than Pompey and Southampton. :lol:

I'd say we have the potential to be bigger than those two.

And you are so blinkered as to say we have no history. As if we haven't existed for 138 years.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:07

Thaumagurist*
Carlin20 I've heard Reading fans say they're as big and bigger than Pompey and Southampton. :lol:

And you are so blinkered as to say we have no history. As if we haven't existed for 138 years.

You dont have the potential to be bigger than those 2. You're mad :lol:

You have won nothing and done nothing compared to those clubs. That's why you'll NEVER be as big.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Jun 2009 15:08

Yes, we have won some things. :roll:

If you're only on here to wind up, I suggest that you piss off right this minute.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 15:09

Who the hell are you?

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:10

Thaumagurist* Yes, we have won some things. :roll:

If you're only on here to wind up, I suggest that you piss off right this minute.

Bigger than those 2?

Southampton will probably get 20,000 in league 1. 27 years top flight, good facilities etc etc

Pompey have the 5th highest tickets in the prem, still averaged only 300 empty seats last season. New ground = many more fans. Apperantly Pompey have 9,000 st waiting list. Only thing you have on Pompey is stadium and that's not for long.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jun 2009 15:12

Carlin20
Thaumagurist*

You dont have the potential to be bigger than those 2. You're mad :lol:

You have won nothing and done nothing compared to those clubs. That's why you'll NEVER be as big.

Ermm, I'd suggest you get a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "potential" - it's all to do with possibilities for the future, so it is entirely unrelated to what has happened in the past.

Carlin20

by Carlin20 » 30 Jun 2009 15:14

Well you don't have the potential. Southampton get big crowds in l1 id suspect, Pompey have a massive catchment area. 300,000 turn up for the fa cup win alone!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 15:15

Carlin20

Bigger than those 2?

Southampton will probably get 20,000 in league 1. [quote]

Really? they struggled to get 13k in the championship, tell me where 7,000 fans will come from?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jun 2009 15:15

Carlin20

Bigger than those 2?

Southampton will probably get 20,000 in league 1. 27 years top flight, good facilities etc etc

Pompey have the 5th highest tickets in the prem, still averaged only 300 empty seats last season. New ground = many more fans. Apperantly Pompey have 9,000 st waiting list. Only thing you have on Pompey is stadium and that's not for long.

Southampton haven't had that sort of average for a couple of seasons now, probably since their first season in the championship, unless they are at the top of the league like Leicester their crowds won't be anywhere near that. I quite like Southampton for what it's worth, decent club, lovely stadium, always a harmless and genuinely decent trip always had a soft spot for them in the Premiership and I hope they can sort themselves out for the coming season.

As for Portsmouth if they have 9000 on a waiting list, why did they rarely ever sella game out last season, seems a bit bizarre. A ramshackle horror of a stadium with fans that are about as welcoming and charming as Nazi Germany. We even let them beat us every time we play them yet they are still a bunch of c*nts.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 30 Jun 2009 15:16

Carlin20, I take it these Reading fans may have mentioned it somewhere in the depths of cyberspace at some point in the past. How many exactly? How old where they? Are these the views of the masses? One or two on some crappy messageboard somewhere I expect. Keyboard warriors same as you. All clubs have them.

Get a grip man and stop being a muppet.

238 posts