You've got to laugh ... or else you'll cry!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: You've got to laugh ... or else you'll cry!

by RobRoyal » 27 Aug 2009 10:53

The funny thing is that all of our sales have represented, to me, pretty good business on the part of the club. How we've managed to get £5.5m for Kitson and £3m for SHunt is beyond me. And £2m for a sadly past-it Sonko... amazing. To see Doyle going was gutting, but it was inevitable and it was a great price. The problem is that without proper re-investment this "good business" can ruin a club.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 27 Aug 2009 11:00

RobRoyal The funny thing is that all of our sales have represented, to me, pretty good business on the part of the club. How we've managed to get £5.5m for Kitson and £3m for SHunt is beyond me. And £2m for a sadly past-it Sonko... amazing. To see Doyle going was gutting, but it was inevitable and it was a great price. The problem is that without proper re-investment this "good business" can ruin a club.

They're only good business if the impact to the quality of the squad is mitigated by bringing someone in, wouldn't one agree?

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 27 Aug 2009 11:07

The store will be reopening on 1st September with a new brand and business plan.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Aug 2009 11:26

Dorset-Knob Well done Strap, top marks for this effort, made me laugh out loud. I would love to put this in front of RFC's great and good and ask, "So, what do you have to say about that then?" and watch them squirm and formulate a mealy mouthed reply. A bit like the table this info doesn't lie :roll:

Why would they squirm?

I'm guessing they'd say it demonstrates just how well this club has been run over the last few years. Some of those players were with us when we were in the 3rd tier of English football and 2 of them haven't actually gone anywhere.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Aug 2009 11:34

papereyes
RobRoyal The funny thing is that all of our sales have represented, to me, pretty good business on the part of the club. How we've managed to get £5.5m for Kitson and £3m for SHunt is beyond me. And £2m for a sadly past-it Sonko... amazing. To see Doyle going was gutting, but it was inevitable and it was a great price. The problem is that without proper re-investment this "good business" can ruin a club.

They're only good business if the impact to the quality of the squad is mitigated by bringing someone in, wouldn't one agree?

The problem with that of course is that as far as this list goes those players took several seasons to reach the values listed. Given that most have only been gone just over a year (and two of them haven't actually gone anywhere) then to expect us to replace like for like with similiar players as a championship club is unrealistic if you ask me.

Ryn

by Ryn » 27 Aug 2009 13:08

Interesting reading Strap. You really are the king of stats.

As a thought, I wonder if we will ever be selling the Karacans and Pearces for £3.5 million.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 27 Aug 2009 13:41

Ryn Interesting reading Strap. You really are the king of stats.

Snowball might have something to say about that. :shock:

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 27 Aug 2009 14:20

papereyes

Well indeed. Each sale, I believe, has given us a good chance of getting a similar quality player in, and still making a profit. But so far...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Aug 2009 15:26

Dorset-Knob Well done Strap, top marks for this effort, made me laugh out loud. I would love to put this in front of RFC's great and good and ask, "So, what do you have to say about that then?" and watch them squirm and formulate a mealy mouthed reply. A bit like the table this info doesn't lie :roll:

Apart from the bit about Rosenior to Hull and Harper to Wolves.

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 27 Aug 2009 15:32

I am pissed off that we seem to be picking up all Watford´s rubbish get rid ofs...and their team as a whole was rubbish last year!

Sorry. very disillusioned and expecting a poor season. My 5 year dream is officially over and it is back to being a 2nd or 3rd tier team for me. It was a great memory but that is where it will remain!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Aug 2009 21:20

Strap brings real meaning to the expression 'You get what you pay for'!

Trouble is, no matter how many times it stares them in the face, the suits at RFC don't seem to realise it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Aug 2009 21:22

Mr Irascible I am pissed off that we seem to be picking up all Watford´s rubbish get rid ofs...and their team as a whole was rubbish last year!

Sorry. very disillusioned and expecting a poor season. My 5 year dream is officially over and it is back to being a 2nd or 3rd tier team for me. It was a great memory but that is where it will remain!

You mean players from the Watford team that on 2nd half form would have made the playoffs?

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 27 Aug 2009 21:33

Ideal
Mr Irascible I am pissed off that we seem to be picking up all Watford´s rubbish get rid ofs...and their team as a whole was rubbish last year!

Yep, this season will be a writeoff, all we can do is just get past it, sack the manager, then hope for better things.

I think Brentford have run out of players

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Aug 2009 21:34

Wimb

You mean players from the Watford team that on 2nd half form would have made the playoffs?

Replacing Reading players that on 2nd half form would have seen us relegated?

I have a very bad feeling about this season. And yet, 3 weeks ago I felt so positive.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 27 Aug 2009 21:35

Nice one Strap, funny just Illustrates how Madejski is slowly but surely killing this club.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Aug 2009 21:36

Terminal Boardom Replacing Reading players that on 2nd half form would have seen us relegated?

I have a very bad feeling about this season. And yet, 3 weeks ago I felt so positive.

I'm confused by what point you're trying to make :|

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Aug 2009 21:38

RoyalBlue Strap brings real meaning to the expression 'You get what you pay for'!

Trouble is, no matter how many times it stares them in the face, the suits at RFC don't seem to realise it.

What did we pay for the team at the top, out of interest?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Aug 2009 21:42

RoyalBlue Strap brings real meaning to the expression 'You get what you pay for'!

And how much did that Premiership Team cost us exactly?

Some people are clearly too blinkered to look beyond their own prejudices.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Aug 2009 21:46

Terminal Boardom
Wimb

Replacing Reading players that on 2nd half form would have seen us relegated?

Watford got 32 points in their second half of the season, that equates to 64 for the season, it would not have made the play offs FACT..

we took 31 points in the second half of the season, that equates to 62 for a season, that is not relegation form FACT.

Their improvement was good under BR, but please keep it in context.

clauski

by clauski » 27 Aug 2009 21:47

papereyes

+1 would indeed agree. With the original poster too. But much as it's good to see us finally sign some players, we look some way off matching our Premier League squad. To the point that team didn't cost us much, I think the way they gelled and things worked out was a real one-off. Having made it to the position we were in further investment was the only way forward and sadly I think we're trying to repeat a miracle on the cheap rather than reinvest that income. Successful business reinvest, but we don't seem to want to and pessimism is therefore getting the better of me :cry: