Darren O'Dea

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Darren O'Dea

by Stranded » 28 Sep 2009 07:53

Samrfc01 Actually o'dea's loan ends in january IIRC

I think the mamangement should do all they can to extend that as we will need him and i do not think that Pearce is up to the job.

It is sad to say that our 2 best players are on loan tho.

It does but I believe he has said he wants to stay for the season as he is thoroughly enjoying being at RFC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2009 08:18

Ginger_Blitz
Chaney So who was picking up Graham for his free header?

Either the full back as he was coming from behind o'dea or the whole defensive line who should have played him offside?

He was O'Dea's man. If not, then O'Dea had let whoever he was meant to be marking go completely. That having been said. Federici could and should have come to claim. Very poor communication between him and O'Dea.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Sep 2009 08:59

RoyalBlue
Ginger_Blitz
Chaney So who was picking up Graham for his free header?

Either the full back as he was coming from behind o'dea or the whole defensive line who should have played him offside?

He was O'Dea's man. If not, then O'Dea had let whoever he was meant to be marking go completely. That having been said. Federici could and should have come to claim. Very poor communication between him and O'Dea.

Having just watched a replay of the goal, the majority of the fault lies with O'Dea. I don't think Federici could have come and collected the ball and made the correct decision to stay on his line.

I'm just wondering why O'Dea started going for the ball and then stopped? Did he think Federici was going to try and claim it? Or did he not know that Graham was behind him? Whichever it was he should not have needed and call from Federici, it was his ball to deal with and he didn't even attempt to.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2009 10:15

O'Dea's a very good player but I'm sure he's old enough to cope with being told that the Watford goal was completely down to him, you can all be honest about it you know?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 28 Sep 2009 10:18

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue
Ginger_Blitz

Having just watched a replay of the goal, the majority of the fault lies with O'Dea. I don't think Federici could have come and collected the ball and made the correct decision to stay on his line.

I'm just wondering why O'Dea started going for the ball and then stopped? Did he think Federici was going to try and claim it? Or did he not know that Graham was behind him? Whichever it was he should not have needed and call from Federici, it was his ball to deal with and he didn't even attempt to.

Agreed. O'Dea is one of those players who's so good his mistakes will stick out like a sore thumb. And this was a sore thumb. You're a centre back - make it yours, then tell Federici he should have made it his..

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 28 Sep 2009 11:22

RoyalBlue
Ginger_Blitz
Chaney So who was picking up Graham for his free header

I blame the Defensive Coach (do we have one now?). How many goals have we conceded because we haven't dealt with high balls into the box? - Must be getting on for double figures now.

Where's Wally?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 12:25

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue
Ginger_Blitz

He wasn't anywhere near his line! He was on about the penalty spot from what I remember of the game and the replay I've seen. Although I'll check it again later and apologise if I'm wrong. He certainly started to come, then stopped. If he'd come out he might have put Graham off his sht even if he missed it. If he'd stayed on his line he might have been able to save it. Although then Graham might have been able to bring it down of course.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Sep 2009 12:42

Hard to know who to blame when you can't hear what's been said on the pitch. The facts are though that the ball travelled a long way from deep and was headed in from the edge of the six yard box. Federici started to come and then stopped which is why the striker could loop a header over him. O'Dea could've gone for it but seemed to let it go.

Personally I think a keeper should be claiming those but as a centre-half if O'Dea isn't sure then he needs to head it away first and bollock Fed second.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Sep 2009 12:42

Ian Royal
Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue He was O'Dea's man. If not, then O'Dea had let whoever he was meant to be marking go completely. That having been said. Federici could and should have come to claim. Very poor communication between him and O'Dea.

He wasn't anywhere near his line! He was on about the penalty spot from what I remember of the game and the replay I've seen. Although I'll check it again later and apologise if I'm wrong. He certainly started to come, then stopped. If he'd come out he might have put Graham off his sht even if he missed it. If he'd stayed on his line he might have been able to save it. Although then Graham might have been able to bring it down of course.

He did start to come but by the time the ball went past him he was only a couple of yards off his line having retreated. However as the central defender it was O'Dea's ball to deal with UNLESS he gets a clear shout from the keeper to leave it, as it was it appears he assumed Federici was coming out to claim out, and therefore it is O'Dea's mistake.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2009 14:00

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue
Ginger_Blitz Either the full back as he was coming from behind o'dea or the whole defensive line who should have played him offside?

A good keeper will always give the call, regardless of whether it is needed or not (in this situation a simple call of either 'away' or 'keeper's'). Having watched another club's academy train and coach their keepers, being vocal throughout the game is something that they continually stress. What's more, the other players mention how much more comfortable they feel when they have got a vocal keeper behind them.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Sep 2009 14:23

RoyalBlue A good keeper will always give the call, regardless of whether it is needed or not (in this situation a simple call of either 'away' or 'keeper's').

I can't disagree with that, but a good defender should also always deal with a ball that is coming straight towards him if he gets no call from the keeper and then have a go at the keeper afterwards. My guess is that he saw Federici start to come for the ball out of the corner of his eye and then didn't see him stop.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 19:14

Wycombe Royal
Ian Royal
Wycombe Royal Having just watched a replay of the goal, the majority of the fault lies with O'Dea. I don't think Federici could have come and collected the ball and made the correct decision to stay on his line.

He did start to come but by the time the ball went past him he was only a couple of yards off his line having retreated. However as the central defender it was O'Dea's ball to deal with UNLESS he gets a clear shout from the keeper to leave it, as it was it appears he assumed Federici was coming out to claim out, and therefore it is O'Dea's mistake.

Funny how your memory can change things isn't it. Much closer to the goal than I remembered it being. Had he stayed on his line I think he'd been fine. But because he ran forward a couple of yards and had to shift his weight back he gave himself no chance. Don't think he'd have got anywhere near the ball coming out, but might have been big enough to block the header.

Criminal defending from O'Dea.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2009 19:21

Ian Royal
Wycombe Royal
Ian Royal He wasn't anywhere near his line! He was on about the penalty spot from what I remember of the game and the replay I've seen. Although I'll check it again later and apologise if I'm wrong. He certainly started to come, then stopped. If he'd come out he might have put Graham off his sht even if he missed it. If he'd stayed on his line he might have been able to save it. Although then Graham might have been able to bring it down of course.

Funny how your memory can change things isn't it. Much closer to the goal than I remembered it being. Had he stayed on his line I think he'd been fine. But because he ran forward a couple of yards and had to shift his weight back he gave himself no chance. Don't think he'd have got anywhere near the ball coming out, but might have been big enough to block the header.

Criminal defending from O'Dea.

Trouble is, as I pointed out in another thread, Federici seems low on confidence at present and on Saturday seemed to spend most of the game getting caught in two minds. Either backing off and then changing his mind or vice versa. Little wonder then that he eventually got caught in no man's land and paid the price.