10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

Mad Dog's Ghost

Re: 10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Nov 2009 12:33

A centre back was on the shopping list.

But f me, £2m! Nearly two thirds of the entire budget.I really hope Mills turns into the stand out player that sum should secure, but I've not seen a huge amount of evidence yet.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Nov 2009 12:37

Mad Dog's Ghost A centre back was on the shopping list.

But f me, £2m! Nearly two thirds of the entire budget.I really hope Mills turns into the stand out player that sum should secure, but I've not seen a huge amount of evidence yet.

How do you know what the budget was? (and considering we were willing to spend another £1.8m on Tommy Smith, plus Cummings, Rasiak, McAnuff, and Howard it is obvious that either you are crap at Maths or you don't know what you are talking about)

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Nov 2009 12:40

Ooh. Get you!

I've seen Mills play several times for Reading and he hasn't looked particularly good, which is what I'd expect for such an expensive signing. I really hope he improves.

So I'm incorrect in saying that a huge amount of the money BR has spent has been on a (so far) very average looking centre back?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Nov 2009 12:42

Did anybody think that Mills wasn't a good signing at the time? I'll admit that I thought it was a very good signing for RFC and i'm pretty sure most of you agreed.

He could well still turn out to be an excellent player so why use this short-termist hindsight to hammer Rodgers for signing him? Especially when he only had two other centre-backs available, one old and crocked and the other young and untested.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Nov 2009 12:43

Mad Dog's Ghost Ooh. Get you!

My comments in brackets were meant in jest but I forgot one of these >>>> :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 12:50

bubibe 1. Dont spend 2mill of precious budget (Mills ) on a position we have well filled (Ingi, Pearce, ODea, Gunnarsson, Cisse ) when
2. We you know we are desperately short of quality in strikers (Known exit of Kitson, Lita, Doyle & Hunt N with a known underlying medical problem)
3 Just because Shane Long bigs himself up with a No 9 on his back does not turn him into something other than an impact sub / occasional starter
4 If you have made a duff signing (Cummings ) dont persist with him long after the crowd / media / stadium cat are screaming the obvious
5 If you have one of the most talented footballers outside the premiership (Matejovsky )- play him!
6 Get some media training rather than irritate us still further with a stream of meaningless drivel week after week and do not ever use the expressions wee bit of luck or rub of the green ever again
7 Look at some basic statistics to gauge why home fans are so P*ssed off - it was weeks into the season before it dawned on you that we were still waiting for a home win since Jan 27th
8 If you have a petulant grudge against certain players dont insult our intelligence by pretending that your reason for not playing them is an injury
9 Dont ever ever play with one striker up front at home again
10 Having more than three lines of players across the pitch at this level does not work. Wait until you are head coach at AC Milan to repeat that one

I could go on.....

This is the worst post I've ever read on here...I don't even know where to begin but I'll have a crack at it.

1. We didn't have O'Dea when Brendan took over, Ingimarsson and Gunnarsson are too old and need replacing beyond this season - Mills does this and has thus far shown himself to have all the raw attributes to be a success. You get what you pay for these days (unless your Coppell and you spunk £5 million on Emeroflse Fae and Greg 'Cokehead' Halford).

2. He brought in Rasiak (our top goalscorer) and has said he's looking for another striker, so he's addressing the problem.

3. He's given Long a chance, as he has with all the players which is more than his predecessor did even with players he'd signed. Now he knows Long isn't good enough and he'll sort it out. What else was he supposed to doing coming into the club? Make immediate changes in June to piss everyone off and lose the dressing room?

4. He dropped Cummings after 7 games - a fair run. He's admitted he isn't good enough and has stopped persisting with him - it's a pity other managers aren't so honest and can see players for what they are as opposed to being able to view everyone independently, which I find quite refreshing.

5. Matejovsky was carrying an injury - if you'd seen him in his earlier games this season you'd have seen him lacking in fitness...and now he is playing him.

6. What he says is absolutely spot on usually, people were just getting annoyed that it didn't seem to be getting done, but in the last two performances you can see exactly the sort of message he's trying to get across to the players and it's the right one.

7. The run started with Coppell, not Rodgers and we've played a damn site better football and come closer to winning home games this season than we did last. It'll come - you can see by the reactions of the fans to most home games that they are encouraged, perhaps if fools like yourself also got behind the team it might give them the extra boost to carry them over the line.

8. What petulant grudges? He's given everyone a chance.

9. We tried to play with 3 pushing forward, but as our strikers aren't the greatest (the ones Coppell left us with) and the likes of Kebe aren't intelligent or direct enough, it backfired. He's learnt from this and perhaps the system can be used once he's brought in players who can do those jobs better and understand the formation better.

10. Worked okay with Swansea last season and us under Pardew - maybe you should wait before you do your research before you try and comment.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 12:53

Mad Dog's Ghost A centre back was on the shopping list.

Your maths seems a bit off.

Mills may have accounted for a large amount of what we spent in terms of transfer fees but you can't have any idea what proportion of our budget he accounted for, remember we had £1.8 million set aside to pay for Smith which didn't get spent.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Nov 2009 12:55

Thaumagurist*
bubibe
Thaumagurist* Jesus Christ, another twat who thinks he knows better than Rodgers does.

No just one of the blokes paying his wages and not getting a return. Thought some constructive feedback might help him.

Again, some moron who thinks he should get something out of what he pays for to watch a football game. If you don't enjoy it, then STAY THE **** AWAY.
so says some moron who thinks he should come onto a public messageboard where members are invited to voice their opinions and have adult discussions and find everyone keeping silent and simply agreeing with his point of view. If you don't enjoy it, then don't read it, don't respond to it and just STAY THE **** AWAY.

You Spacey are a dumbass, too thick to hold a sensible debate with someone whose views you disagree with, All you can do is be obnoxious and rude by using words such as twat and moron. Now you obviously have first hand experience of being a moron but I doubt you'd recognise a twat if you fell head first into a bucket full of them. So please keep your opinions to yourself and don't bother responding by calling me a gaylord or doofus as it will only serve to further enforce my views.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 12:56

Royalee
6. What he says is absolutely spot on usually, people were just getting annoyed that it didn't seem to be getting done, but in the last two performances you can see exactly the sort of message he's trying to get across to the players and it's the right one.

He leaves himself wide open to those who want to misinterpret or mis use his words. He would be well advised to learn from Coppell, who was a master of knowing what not to say.
But he's young and inexperienced in terms of his media contacts. It's probably the least important thing in terms of criticism but one he could fairly easily sort out to avoid further difficulties.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Nov 2009 12:56

fook me, where did that come from?

post of epic power though Forbs.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 13:01

Sun Tzu
Royalee

He leaves himself wide open to those who want to misinterpret or mis use his words. He would be well advised to learn from Coppell, who was a master of knowing what not to say.
But he's young and inexperienced in terms of his media contacts. It's probably the least important thing in terms of criticism but one he could fairly easily sort out to avoid further difficulties.

I guess we probably differ here, I'd just rather have someone in charge who tells it as it is rather than be spoon fed and given the same dull interviews week on week just to protect the manager from people who don't know any better piping up with their nonsense. I agree in some instances he could have remained quieter like around the time of QPR and after that poor performance, but for the most part I totally agree with him and find it pleasing that we've finally got someone in charge who cares about the club and doesn't keep the fans in the dark - I and many others I'm sure were becoming increasingly disenchanted with Coppell's methods and am enjoying what we see to be a positive change.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Nov 2009 13:03

Fair do's Wycombe. Mind you, the bid for Smith was probably the most 'unwilling' in the history of football!

Sun Tzu, I could have sworn Mills accounted for a very high proportion of our spending but maths was never my strongest subject.

Thought Mills sounded like a decent signing at the time and I've not written him off yet. There were signs of a decent player there against Leicester (one outstanding 50 yard ball out to the wing ... mixed in with a lot of poor distribution) so who knows. I was just a little surprised that we'd spent so much on one player really.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Nov 2009 13:04

Forbury Lion so says some moron who thinks he should come onto a public messageboard where members are invited to voice their opinions and have adult discussions and find everyone keeping silent and simply agreeing with his point of view. If you don't enjoy it, then don't read it, don't respond to it and just STAY THE **** AWAY.

You Spacey are a dumbass, too thick to hold a sensible debate with someone whose views you disagree with, All you can do is be obnoxious and rude by using words such as twat and moron. Now you obviously have first hand experience of being a moron but I doubt you'd recognise a twat if you fell head first into a bucket full of them. So please keep your opinions to yourself and don't bother responding by calling me a gaylord or doofus as it will only serve to further enforce my views.

Can I be the first to say that we should all gives Forbes a huge round of applause for that (maybe even a standing ovation and a place in the Hall of Fame as well).........
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 03 Nov 2009 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:04

Whereas I'd argue Coppell was perhaps the most honest and open manager we've ever had ! Whilst he disliked the media his comments were usually pretty straight and easy for those who know the club to understand !

Rodgers seems to think too much about what he says without actually having much to say - so it comes across as rather contrived.

To suggest anyone cares more about the club than Coppell is probably unsupportable.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Nov 2009 13:04

Mad Dog's Ghost but maths was never my strongest subject.

See I was right...... :wink: :lol:

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 03 Nov 2009 13:05

Forbury Lion
Thaumagurist*
bubibe
No just one of the blokes paying his wages and not getting a return. Thought some constructive feedback might help him.

Again, some moron who thinks he should get something out of what he pays for to watch a football game. If you don't enjoy it, then STAY THE **** AWAY.
so says some moron who thinks he should come onto a public messageboard where members are invited to voice their opinions and have adult discussions and find everyone keeping silent and simply agreeing with his point of view. If you don't enjoy it, then don't read it, don't respond to it and just STAY THE **** AWAY.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:05

bubibe 1. Dont spend 2mill of precious budget (Mills ) on a position we have well filled (Ingi, Pearce, ODea, Gunnarsson, Cisse ) when
2. We you know we are desperately short of quality in strikers (Known exit of Kitson, Lita, Doyle & Hunt N with a known underlying medical problem)
3 Just because Shane Long bigs himself up with a No 9 on his back does not turn him into something other than an impact sub / occasional starter
4 If you have made a duff signing (Cummings ) dont persist with him long after the crowd / media / stadium cat are screaming the obvious
5 If you have one of the most talented footballers outside the premiership (Matejovsky )- play him!
6 Get some media training rather than irritate us still further with a stream of meaningless drivel week after week and do not ever use the expressions wee bit of luck or rub of the green ever again
7 Look at some basic statistics to gauge why home fans are so P*ssed off - it was weeks into the season before it dawned on you that we were still waiting for a home win since Jan 27th
8 If you have a petulant grudge against certain players dont insult our intelligence by pretending that your reason for not playing them is an injury
9 Dont ever ever play with one striker up front at home again
10 Having more than three lines of players across the pitch at this level does not work. Wait until you are head coach at AC Milan to repeat that one

I could go on.....

please dont though

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:06

Mad Dog's Ghost
Sun Tzu, I could have sworn Mills accounted for a very high proportion of our spending but maths was never my strongest subject.

Which are you saying ?

Budget or spending. Two different things.

Of course he accounted for a large part of what we SPENT, but we were prepared to spend more (in fact we were prepared to spend more on Smith than we have on Mills) so in terms of what was available to spend the sums are very different.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Nov 2009 13:10

Wycombe Royal
Forbury Lion so says some moron who thinks he should come onto a public messageboard where members are invited to voice their opinions and have adult discussions and find everyone keeping silent and simply agreeing with his point of view. If you don't enjoy it, then don't read it, don't respond to it and just STAY THE **** AWAY.

Can I be the first to say that we should all gives Forbes a huge round of applause for that (maybe even a standing ovation and a place in the Hall of Fame as well).........

Amen brother

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 03 Nov 2009 13:13

He's not working with the calibre of player that he did with watford and Chelsea.