Robin Friday

Broxroyal

Re: Robin Friday

by Broxroyal » 18 Nov 2009 21:38

Barry the bird boggler Some have said he possibly could have been the greatest player the world has ever known had he been able to apply himself to the game and be disciplined.

This, of course, was not in his nature and quite possibly had he been more disciplined he never would have been the same player in the first place.

All credit to Charlie for taking a chance on him and giving so many memories to the supporters at the time. As it turned out he only survived in the game because of Charlie's "flexibility" with the player - as soon as he went to Cardiff it was over.

Sure I read somewhere that Robin turned up on Charlie's doorstep a few months after leaving asking him to buy him back which Charlie said he sadly couldn't do and that was the last time he saw him.

Incidentally has Charlie Hurley been back to the club as a guest since he left, think he still lives reasonably locally (Hertfordshire)?

Charlie Hurley lives Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire.

Robin Friday would probably fail a drugs test if he was trying to play nowadays. If he could have got around that, and if he was playing now he would comfortably fit in the team. Simon Church would have a field day alongside him.
Friday, best we have ever had. It was a privilege to have been around at that time.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 20 Nov 2009 13:59

I saw him play against us twice for Hayes in FA cup games and he looked different class. This man made Vinny Jones look as effeminate as Spacey and had the bravery of more lions than present on an England shirt. He would be sent off every game in modern football.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 20 Nov 2009 17:25

Riseley I saw him play against us twice for Hayes in FA cup games and he looked different class. This man made Vinny Jones look as effeminate as Spacey and had the bravery of more lions than present on an England shirt. He would be sent off every game in modern football.

Yes ,I was at bioth games and thats when we could see,more importantly,Charley Hurley(One of our greatest managrs who never gets a mention)his potential

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 20 Nov 2009 17:34

I was a fan of Friday, but I don't go with the legend. He was slow and dwelt on the ball, and he was also filthy in the worst way--sly ankle tapping. He was in a swashbuckling team of talented oddballs, such as John Murray, and he wasn't even my favourite: Steve Death was. If he was as good as people are saying, he would have singlehandedly made us unbeatable, and he didn't. He had to really graft on the field to make his talent count. I think he was just the equivalent of present-day lower leagues legends such as Lee Trundle.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 21 Nov 2009 15:09

facaldaqui I was a fan of Friday, but I don't go with the legend. He was slow and dwelt on the ball, and he was also filthy in the worst way--sly ankle tapping. He was in a swashbuckling team of talented oddballs, such as John Murray, and he wasn't even my favourite: Steve Death was. If he was as good as people are saying, he would have singlehandedly made us unbeatable, and he didn't. He had to really graft on the field to make his talent count. I think he was just the equivalent of present-day lower leagues legends such as Lee Trundle.

Blaspheme,if this was Iran your hands would be chopped off :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Oct 2010 15:53

Imagine this was 5 yards further out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLeZ-45 ... r_embedded

Reece Connolly has just gone to Didcot on loan from Aldershot I believe.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Oct 2010 18:21

Royal Rother Imagine this was 5 yards further out...

Then imagine it was another 5-10 yards further than that.
Also, imagine the player had teed the ball up on his knee after controlling the ball on his chest.

Finally, imagine a top referee with his hands on his head in astonishment.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Oct 2010 18:45

Fit into today's game? No chance, because he was a piss-artist and a drug user and the pace of the game would kill him; but, in context, he was the greatest player I have ever seen wearing the hoops.

Some of the abiding memories of him iterated here are worthy, but my favourite memory of him was at the beginning of the 76/77 season, away to Northampton. I arrived very early and was one of the first into the old three-sided County Ground. Reading players appeared for the pre-match stroll around the pitch, attired in blazers and trousers and looking very much the prototypical footballers. Friday came out smoking a fag in a brown leather jacket, jeans and the brightest red cowboy boots that almost hurt the eyes.

Reading won 2-1 and Friday had a hand in both goals and was untouchable. An old Cobbler standing next to me on the Kop turned to me and said that he had watched Northampton rise from Division 4 to Division 1 and fall back again and that Friday was the greatest player he had ever seen. I felt as proud as sh it that we had him, albeit for an all-too short period.

Robin Friday: my perfect hero and anti-hero.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2010 19:14

Interesting stuff.

Thanks to those of you who can share these memories with us.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 29 Oct 2010 20:09

Watford away...around 76/77 season.
We were standing at the back of the away end, and in those days you could see right out the ground.
Could see Charlie Hurley standing outside the ground, clearly not happy. About 10 minutes to kick off.
Next thing....Robin Friday comes legging it round the corner. Obviously missed the players coach or whatever.
10 minutes later...he's on the pitch.

Without question the game today is different. But Friday played in the right era. A time when the game wasn't
played at 100 mph with leg-breaking tackles.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 29 Oct 2010 20:20

Barney Watford away...around 76/77 season.
We were standing at the back of the away end, and in those days you could see right out the ground.
Could see Charlie Hurley standing outside the ground, clearly not happy. About 10 minutes to kick off.
Next thing....Robin Friday comes legging it round the corner. Obviously missed the players coach or whatever.
10 minutes later...he's on the pitch.

Without question the game today is different. But Friday played in the right era. A time when the game wasn't
played at 100 mph with leg-breaking tackles.

There were still leg-breaking tackles. Probably more. Just slowly delivered!
I remember Robin coming out onto the pitch knocking back a bottle of whisky to collect his player of the season award before the last home match of the season. Incredible.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Oct 2010 22:23

Ark Royal Fit into today's game? No chance, because he was a piss-artist and a drug user and the pace of the game would kill him; but, in context, he was the greatest player I have ever seen wearing the hoops.

Some of the abiding memories of him iterated here are worthy, but my favourite memory of him was at the beginning of the 76/77 season, away to Northampton. I arrived very early and was one of the first into the old three-sided County Ground. Reading players appeared for the pre-match stroll around the pitch, attired in blazers and trousers and looking very much the prototypical footballers. Friday came out smoking a fag in a brown leather jacket, jeans and the brightest red cowboy boots that almost hurt the eyes.

Reading won 2-1 and Friday had a hand in both goals and was untouchable. An old Cobbler standing next to me on the Kop turned to me and said that he had watched Northampton rise from Division 4 to Division 1 and fall back again and that Friday was the greatest player he had ever seen. I felt as proud as sh it that we had him, albeit for an all-too short period.

Robin Friday: my perfect hero and anti-hero.

Agreed.
His story would make for a great film.....................though not with a happy ending. :(

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Oct 2010 00:20

Royal Rother Imagine this was 5 yards further out...

Reminds me a little of Quinn's goal against Wolves at Elm Park circa 96 ish? Only a little mind.

That Friday goal must have been something really special.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 30 Oct 2010 05:37

TBF, that goal on the YouTube link is *nothing* like *that* goal.

Robin Friday. Legend.

under the tin

by under the tin » 30 Oct 2010 08:51

Would he fit in today? No, I don't think so, because today's footballers are much more about athleticism, and Robin hated training. The little story in the book about him hitching a lift on the back of a scaffolding lorry, and giving Minty and the rest of the players on a training run a load of stick as the lorry passed them still makes me smile.

It's a classic "of its time" story.
In the seventies, watching football on the telly was great, because every team had its "star" player, unlike today, where the monolithic clubs assemble teams of Galacticos.
Rangers had Bowles, Chelsea, Hudson; Sheff U, Currie; Newcastle, Supermac; Birmingham, Francis; Arsenal, George; Man U, Best; Citeh, Bell; etc.
In the main, these players lived up to their almost rock star cult status.
We had one as well. His name was Robin Friday, apparently turning up for games ten minutes before kick off, having started off in The Frog, and then a few more in other hostelries on the way.
Sometimes possibly half-cut, he could do things with a football that nobody that I had seen before was capable of, and is fully justified in being called a Reading legend.
Rest in peace, Robin. Some of us will never forget you.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 30 Oct 2010 09:03

John Giles, the then manager of top flight regulars WBA was interested in buying Robin back in 76. Apparantly, when Giles turned up at Reading to meet him, Robin staggered in 'a little worse for wear', Giles got up and walked out.
Can always remember going to the game in that period, it wasn't 'i wonder how we'll do today', it was always 'i wonder what Robin will do today'. Great days.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 30 Oct 2010 09:46

The off field stories have undoubtedly added to his cult status but what I clearly remember on the field was his ability to complete a pass and set up an attack having dropped off the centre half..time and again he found the player or space he wanted..he was special by our standards but no..not a world beater. Just a fantastic player to watch.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 30 Oct 2010 11:28

Percy's Rocket The off field stories have undoubtedly added to his cult status but what I clearly remember on the field was his ability to complete a pass and set up an attack having dropped off the centre half..time and again he found the player or space he wanted..he was special by our standards but no..not a world beater. Just a fantastic player to watch.

I was recently speaking to his wife and the off field stories are all true and then some!

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 30 Oct 2010 11:53

I am sure they were..the great things is so many seem to have witnesssed this first hand. I remember a rowdy Robin in a bar at a non-league club when he was injured..I think it was Hayes FC. The papers would have had a field day nowadays.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 30 Oct 2010 12:43

Percy's Rocket I am sure they were..the great things is so many seem to have witnesssed this first hand. I remember a rowdy Robin in a bar at a non-league club when he was injured..I think it was Hayes FC. The papers would have had a field day nowadays.

There seems to be a few of us "old uns" on here who saw Robin play those two Hayes games against Reading.I saw both,home and away and you could see then his skills,little did we know old Chas was going to get him for us.