Get some perspective

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Get some perspective

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2009 14:00

andrew1957 I nearly headed this "if hobnobbers are truly representative of our fanbase we deserve to get relegated" - but that was a bit of a mouthful.

Please get some perspective.

Hi Andy, do you mind if I call you that?

All very well and good of course, but I still remember your sneering post a matter of weeks before we were deservedly relegated having a pop at myself amongst others for having the temerity to suggest that we would go down after we somehow stitched consecutive wins together. Ultimately you were wrong then and you are probably wrong again, so with respect - get knotted.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Dec 2009 14:02

andrew1957 I nearly headed this "if hobnobbers are truly representative of our fanbase we deserve to get relegated" - but that was a bit of a mouthful.

Good post but a waste of good pixels and bandwidth, I'm afraid. HNA? is all about people adopting aposition at the start of the season and then sticking to it, come what may. There's no room for sensible debate or objectivity on here.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Dec 2009 14:04

Stranded
Thaumagurist* If it was poor management, then how did we ever get 10 points from the 5 games prior to last night???

Are you really that stupid?

Because someone won a couple of games, it means anything they do after that cannot possibly be bad management?

Oh by the way, those wins... even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Dec 2009 14:08

floyd__streete

Hi Andy, do you mind if I call you that?

All very well and good of course, but I still remember your sneering post a matter of weeks before we were deservedly relegated having a pop at myself amongst others for having the temerity to suggest that we would go down after we somehow stitched consecutive wins together. Ultimately you were wrong then and you are probably wrong again, so with respect - get knotted.

I have no recollection of "sneering". Yes I did think we would stay up that season and we should have done as there was no excuse for not at least getting a draw with Fulham. My beef with you and many others on here is that you are always negative and destructive about the club. You were critical of Coppell and everything he did and now Rodgers - and no doubt the next manager if Rodgers gets sacked.

Some fans seem to want us to win every game or else they want the manager sacked and every player replaced. That is why I say get some perspective!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2009 14:09

the teams young, inexperienced, naive and this will result in inconsistency- rodgers job is to improve this, and he has done so already- next step- improve it more.
but we are going to have to put up with this 2 steps forward 1 step back malarky for the rest of this season at least IMO
"hopefully" it will be enough to stave off relegation, and allow for continued rebuilding/strengthening/improvements

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2009 14:10

andrew1957 I have no recollection of "sneering".

I do.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Bottom of page 2, sunshine. Better luck next year, indeed.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Dec 2009 14:10

FiNeRaIn even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

Well, I would have thought that even a blind squirrel would know his own body and of course would be able to find his own nuts.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2009 14:13

brendywendy the teams young, inexperienced, naive

Not this again.

Ingimarsson played last night, Gunarsson played last night, Rasiak played last night, McAnuff played last night, Tabb played last night, they have all made over 100 league starts. Matejovsky plays international football. The young and inexperienced excuse just doesn't really wash.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Dec 2009 14:13

floyd__streete

I do.

Personally I call that fair comment - not sneering!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 14:15

FiNeRaIn
Royalee
FiNeRaIn
You have the brain cells of a cabbage.

Madejski and Rodgers dismantled it.

Federici, Ingimarsson, Cisse, Gunnarsson, Kebe the worst 5 players on the pitch last night. It's a facto.

Incorrect. A fact isn't something you make up to win an argument.

Great job done by madejski and rodgers to release all the clubs talent and bring in shockers like mills and comings, spending the entire udget in the process :lol:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1658591,00.html

Hope this helps.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2009 14:16

floyd__streete
brendywendy the teams young, inexperienced, naive

Not this again.

Ingimarsson played last night, Gunarsson played last night, Rasiak played last night, McAnuff played last night, Tabb played last night, they have all made over 100 league starts. Matejovsky plays international football. The young and inexperienced excuse just doesn't really wash.

inexperienced as a team, together
and most of the experience has gone over the edge into just plain old

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 14:18

Cisse, Ingimarsson, Kebe and Gunnarsson have been together for 2 years you plonker.

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 09 Dec 2009 14:20

Rodgers came to the club at a difficult time. The owner - perhaps understandably as he clearly has money issues - has decided no more money will be put into the club. He has looked for a billionaire owner but cannot find one, so has decided that the club has to sink or swim on its own. We are still in a better shape financially than many Championship clubs and this season's relegation may well come down to how many clubs have to go into administration before the end of the season.

Many of our senior players have left or been sold and Rodgers has had to form a new squad very quickly. Initially things went badly but we have turned the corner and in some games we are playing well. I very much doubt we will get relegated, as in my opinion there are probably about 6 teams worse than us from what I have seen so far this season - Peterborough, Plymouth, Coventry, Sheff Wed, Derby and Ipswich. Others may be dragged down to the bottom by going into administration.

We have a young and learning squad that are going to be inconsistent and make mistakes like last evening.

The best thing that Sir John can do in my opinion is to simply say Brendan Rodgers is here to stay - whatever happens - even if we get relegated - as he is the right man to build on the new "cut your cloth" youth policy.

So why the hysteria on here. Well we are all disappointed that we threw away our PL status and did not get back there last season, when we definitely should have done. Well the blame for that lies squarely at the door of Steve Coppell and the senior players last season. I don't know what went wrong but something did and in the second half of last season we were awful. That is not the fault of anyone left at the club now.

Also I want to mention football finance in general. Soon a major club will go down and not be rescued. It is all but inevitable. Many current PL clubs simply cannot compete in that league and are building horrendous debts. The everlasting supply of Arab billionaires seems to be dwindling and this situation cannot continue. In the long run our youth policy will bear fruit - even if it means a visit to League 1 first.

So get behind Rodgers folks - he is the best hope we have of long term success. If we do so I very much doubt we will get relegated and I think we may well be challenging again for 2010/11.

A very sensible and balanced post. I cannot disagree with a word of it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 14:23

floyd__streete

I do.

Sorry, but that's worth quoting

22nd March 2008

I have not posted for a while as I usually get loads of abuse for being far too positive but thought I would update this article as it has turned out to be quite accurate so far.

I am sure Alan P, Victor and Floyd amongst others must be really drowning their sorrows tonight as it looks ever more likely that Reading will be in the PL again next season!

Bad luck chaps - maybe your wishes will come true next year.

6th May 2008
If I am wrong and we go down I will freely admit that I was complacent and that I know a lot less about football than I thought

:?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Dec 2009 14:25

FiNeRaIn
Royalee Coppell dismantled it.

You have the brain cells of a cabbage.

Madejski and Rodgers dismantled it.

Our total f'uck up of the 2nd half of last season ultimately dismantled it, let me think who was responsible for that...................

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 14:28

Well, no.

The club's management made a decision to gamble on one last throw of the dice.

That's everyone from Coppell upwards.

Whatever happened to 'brick by brick'?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 09 Dec 2009 14:41

Royalee
Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how that does help your argument in the slightest Royalee. Are are you saying that Duberry was one of the clubs talent that Hammond carelessly let go?

Your laughable ratings on another thread for the players mentioned above were an obvious attempt to back up your Rodgers v Coppell rant - a 7 for Pearce and 4 for Ingimarrsson - a seven for Pearce when he was in a centre back pairing that let in 4 goals? yes he got a goal - but a seven? any balanced view would say they both played poorly - they were both equally poor but oh no Royalee who has an uncanny ability back the wrong horse decides to create his own fantasy world to justify his own fantasy thinking.

and while I'm on the subject, even if one does subscribe to your unfounded view that Coppell drove the club into the ground, then let me say this. i'd rather have a manager who delivered a top 8 premiership finish and 106 points in a season but who stuggled to build on that, than someone who plays 3-6-1, ends up with one forward and who has a bumper book of tactics that will take us down. Coppell's reading got 106 points in one season. Thanksfully its unlikley that Rodgers will ever be in charge long enough to acrue that amount of points- on current form it would take 3 seasons anyway

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Dec 2009 14:50

Perspective

Reading FC circa 1997/98 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reading Fc circa 2009/10

At least Reading fought back to draw against the likes of Crewe and Forest and stuffed Sunderland 4-0. What has there been to get remotely excited about this season apart from half time oranges?

We have the slowest and most incompetent back 5 I have ever seen. Looks like Bertrand could notch up a remarkable double. Successive relegations from the same division. Way to go Plastic!

At least in 97/98 we had Parky who was Reading through and through. Who do we have now?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Dec 2009 14:50

Look, I have no problem with a Club working within its means, absolutely the corect thing to do, especially in these dificult times, HOWEVER, the main reason for many of our whinges is the rhetoric and bullshit that is spouted from Egoman downwards!

This club hasn't a cat in hells chance of returning to the PL in the next 10 years, never mind this season, or next! With the ridiculous signings Bodger has made, we will not even be challenging the play-off spots!!

Yet we are forever lambasted with crap about how we're making a sustained challenge to return to the PL, we're a top 6 team, on our day we can top this division blah blah blah blah. It's all utter nonsense.

We're patently NOT any of those! Why can't the club actually be HONEST for a change and admit we're on our uppers, and actually this season will be considered a success if we merely stay up. Next season will be a success if we climb x places, and so on. Manage expectation, don't glibly come out with what you think the fams want to hear! We KNOW this team is shit, christ, we see it week in week out! Stop treating us like idiots, (push season tickets sales for all you're worth, then sell off the 1st team - wow, who thought up THAT marketing ploy! Next season's ST sales will plummet like a stone).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 14:52

papereyes Well, no.

The club's management made a decision to gamble on one last throw of the dice.

That's everyone from Coppell upwards.

Whatever happened to 'brick by brick'?

They saw the crap we would be in this year if we didn't go up so paniced?