Does BR deserve more time?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 187
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Should BR stay?

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 13:08

sandman
winchester_royal This is the same Paul Hart who got sacked by both Barnsley and R&D.

Gr8.

He's a better bet than the joke we've got now.

Comments like that just go to show how thick the majority of football fans are.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Dec 2009 13:14

winchester_royal
sandman
winchester_royal This is the same Paul Hart who got sacked by both Barnsley and R&D.

Gr8.

Yeah thank god for you winchester_royal; the Peter Ustinov of HNA.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 13 Dec 2009 13:16

Actually Glenn Roeder has a great 1st season record in keeping struggling sides up. We'd just have to sack him in the summer, 2nd season is typically when the rot begins.
Last edited by rhroyal on 13 Dec 2009 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 13:17

winchester_royal
sandman

Gr8.

Who are you? I've given you some reasons why I think Hart would be a better bet.You couldn't address those reasons so I thought I would make the joke comment to wind you up and guess what. You took the opportunity.
Last edited by sandman on 13 Dec 2009 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 13 Dec 2009 13:21

Terminal Boardom His handling of the media, his continual tinkering with the matchday 11, his lack of playing experience, his lack of management experience, his over-complication - Tuesdays "notegate" scandal!

He should have gone at the end of November. I don't wash with this poison challice bollocks. You make do with what you have. You play within the players abilities and don't try and get them to do things that they cannot do.

Quite frankly, he is out of his depth and he lacks the right people to back him up but he would never go for someone with more experience than him as it would show everyone at the training ground how inept he is.

He is not fit to coach the hoops.

Fully agree.
He's not competent enough to turn things around.
If SJM still cares about the club he should act now

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Dec 2009 13:29

sandman
LOL at you. Hart has:
A.Experience at this level.
B.Experience at handling teams punching above their weight.
C.Works well with younger players.
D.Doesn't mouth off at the media when under pressure.
E. Works well on a tight budget.
F.Can spot a bargain at this level which given our modest financial backing is a plus.

He's not a Premier League manager granted and he wouldn't be my first choice (That's Curbishley but there is no way it would happen)but he's a better manager at this level than Rodgers is and most probably ever will be. Our aim must now be survival, maybe it's because of his rant yesterday but I just don't think Rodgers can do that.

A. Experience of being relegated, yes.
B. Yeah, didn't manage to do anything with them either.
C. He had 1 good season at Forest and then struggled - hardly working 'well' with younger players.
D. No, he just folds and gets sacked.
E. How is bottom of the league 'working well'?
F. You mean like trying to sign Eugen Bopp to play in the Premiership? :lol:

Curbishley would never come here in a million years and Hart is a poor manager. We're not in the relegation zone and with a few alterations in January we'll be fine. Stop overreacting and get a grip.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Dec 2009 13:35

Royalee We're not in the relegation zone and with a few alterations in January we'll be fine. Stop overreacting and get a grip.

Question for you, Royalee - a poster I rarely 100% agree with, but an entertaining poster all the same and your blog is very good indeed, well written: You rate Rodgers highly, almost stubbornly so. You have now consigned Ingimarsson to the scrap heap but your man plays him week-in, week-out whilst leaving two players he has signed kicking their heels on the bench. Surely you must be having some serious doubts and a bit of a sick feeling in your stomach about the abuse you are going to get from your vast army of fans on HNA when Rodgers departs, having failed :| .

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Dec 2009 13:49

To be honest I'm not fussed - if Madejski acts in the best interests of the club he'll give Rodgers the January window to strengthen given he's not had the time to sort our attacking options out and it is now clearer than ever what needs to be done in terms of bringing in at least one striker and perhaps a winger. I think with Ingimarsson it's going to get to the stage where he picks up a knock or has an outstandingly poor game (although I think he's had quite a few shocking games recently, costing us yet another goal yesterday, despite those blaming Pearce for everything because he wasn't here when we went up and is an easy target) and won't get back in after that. O'Dea will be gone in the new year and Mills will look to step up and claim a first team place, which I fully expect him to do.

I don't have any doubts when it comes to Rodgers - at least when he speaks he is often right in what is going wrong and comes out and says it (and has already made some steps to address it with the signings of McAnuff and Rasiak, with Thorvaldsson looking to come in in January), rather than his predecessor who 'didn't know why it was going wrong'. If we can turn even 25% more of the chances we create into goals in the second half of the season, then we will begin to climb the table and be absolutely fine. I'm not saying for one minute we'll be up and around the playoffs and I have to accept that I was naive in thinking that the players left over from last year were better than they were and a new team in a new system would gel quicker, but there is no way we'll go down AS LONG AS WE KEEP RODGERS. The Championship is a very up and down league and you only have to look at the likes of Palace and Hull in recent years to see that being around the bottom at Christmas does not necessarily mean you are doomed - if we're struggling in March once Rodgers has had the chance to address our existing problems then fair enough, sack him then, but to dismiss him after 4 months of the season with what he's inherited and the lack of time to put it right would be very short-sighted indeed.

That's what frustrates me with Reading fans though - they're always looking at the present, we were going to be fine the last two years despite how fortunate we knew we had been with some results and how poor the performances were, yet it goes the other way and we're doomed, despite having enough chances to win about 7 or 8 games yesterday. In January we will have a minimum of 3 striking options with Church, Rasiak and Thorvaldsson, and Rodgers said in his interview this week he wants '1 or 2 more' in addition. I know for a fact he tried to bring in Simon Cox on loan but that was rejected and that sort of player would be what we need, so let's give him the chance to show who he brings in rather than writing him off, shall we?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Dec 2009 13:56

Good response, fair play to you fella.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 13:58

floyd__streete
Yeah thank god for you winchester_royal; the Peter Ustinov of HNA.

I may not be the most eloquent, or knowing poster on HNA, but I'd like to think I am at the very least rational, and able to look furhter than simple results.

Rodgers is 1/2 way through what some, myself included, have dubbed a 'revolution'. In a short time period we have seen players like Sig and HRK emerge from the shackles placed on the younger players during Coppell's time, and seen an obvious improvement in the style of football being played. Getting rid now, and bringing in a long ball merchant like Hart, who has never consistently convinced as a manager, could ruin everything that we have built in the last six months.

We are improving, admittedly at a slow rate, but we are, the players are fully behind him, and whilst we are unable to invest in a significant way, it would be silly to get rid.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 14:01

Royalee
sandman
LOL at you. Hart has:
F.Can spot a bargain at this level which given our modest financial backing is a plus.

He's not a Premier League manager granted and he wouldn't be my first choice (That's Curbishley but there is no way it would happen)but he's a better manager at this level than Rodgers is and most probably ever will be. Our aim must now be survival, maybe it's because of his rant yesterday but I just don't think Rodgers can do that.

A. Experience of being relegated, yes. Which you could also argue gives him the tools to learn from mistakes and not repeat them
B. Yeah, didn't manage to do anything with them either. He kept Pompey up last year after a manager who has simillar experience to Rodgers almost messed them up
C. He had 1 good season at Forest and then struggled - hardly working 'well' with younger players. He produced some very good talent in the leeds academy
D. No, he just folds and gets sacked. He handled himself with dignity and earnt respect from many in the game. Which reminds me of another manager who used to manage this club
E. How is bottom of the league 'working well'? The financial constraints put on him at Portsmouth are worse than ours yet he still bought in good players.Lets not forget that Tommy Smith obviously preferred working with him than Rodgers :wink: .
F. You mean like trying to sign Eugen Bopp to play in the Premiership? :lol: Note the words "this level"

Curbishley would never come here in a million years and Hart is a poor manager. We're not in the relegation zone and with a few alterations in January we'll be fine. Stop overreacting and get a grip.

Not overreacting at all Hart is more experienced at this level than Rodgers and in my opinion would be better in a crisis. I already said that Cubs wouldn't come here.It's my opinion if you don't share it fair enough. You are far too stubborn to admit you're wrong and that the current manager is not the messiah. If I think I'm in the wrong I will admit it. But if I'm right and Rodgers fails I doubt you would do the same.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:04

sandman
Royalee
sandman
LOL at you. Hart has:

A. Experience of being relegated, yes. Which you could also argue gives him the tools to learn from mistakes and not repeat them
B. Yeah, didn't manage to do anything with them either. He kept Pompey up last year after a manager who has simillar experience to Rodgers almost messed them up
C. He had 1 good season at Forest and then struggled - hardly working 'well' with younger players. He produced some very good talent in the leeds academy
D. No, he just folds and gets sacked. He handled himself with dignity and earnt respect from many in the game. Which reminds me of another manager who used to manage this club
E. How is bottom of the league 'working well'? The financial constraints put on him at Portsmouth are worse than ours yet he still bought in good players.Lets not forget that Tommy Smith obviously preferred working with him than Rodgers :wink: .
F. You mean like trying to sign Eugen Bopp to play in the Premiership? :lol: Note the words "this level"

Not overreacting at all Hart is more experienced at this level than Rodgers and in my opinion would be better in a crisis. I already said that Cubs wouldn't come here.It's my opinion if you don't share it fair enough. You are far too stubborn to admit you're wrong and that the current manager is not the messiah. If I think I'm in the wrong I will admit it. But if I'm right and Rodgers fails I doubt you would do the same.

Paul Sturrock was also very experienced at this level.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:08

Way too simplistic a poll.

Should Rodgers go now? Probably not, but he's damn close IMO.

Should he go if we're back in the relegation zone after Boxing day? Yes.

Should he go if we lose both our next two games? Yes.

If we win one of the next two, and are still out of the relegation zone then he may as well stay out the season, because after that it'll probably be too late unless we're already sounding out replacements.

Remember last time we lost a manager when relegation threatened there was no transfer window so even though we left much later than this (too late) we could still bring in new players.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 14:10

What the hell has Sturrock got to do with it?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:10

Ian Royal Way too simplistic a poll.

It's merely trying to gauge reaction on whether Rodgers should be gone this week.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:11

sandman What the hell has Sturrock got to do with it?

Experienced =/= Better.

If Rodgers went then only Ferguson would do.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Dec 2009 14:13

winchester_royal

Experienced =/= Better.

I've not mentioned Paul Sturrock so, again what has he got to do with anything?

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:14

Ian Royal Way too simplistic a poll.

Yeah, was just about to say the same thing actually. A fair few of those people putting yes probably aren't behind him anymore, but don't see any alternative or think that they'd rather risk sticking with rodgers than having the upheaval of a new manager.

But I guess it gives us a rough idea how many people have completely lost patience with him and absolutely hate his guts.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 13 Dec 2009 14:15

sandman
winchester_royal

Experienced =/= Better.

I've not mentioned Paul Sturrock so, again what has he got to do with anything?

He was experienced at this level, and Plymouth were still in the myre.

Once again...Experienced =/= better.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Dec 2009 14:16

sandman
Royalee

A. It's funny because he failed with Forest and didn't put that right with Barnsley, failed with Barnsley and didn't set the world alight at Portsmouth. Surely Reading fans must be aware that managers often can't learn from mistakes given Coppell's reign?

B. Tony Adams had failed at Wycombe and had no coaching experience previous to his time there, Rodgers has been a coach for 10 years - bit of a difference. Hart also had the likes of Crouch, Distin, Johnson and Kranjcar to call upon last season. The when his assets were sold (you know, like they were here?), he did crap this season.

C. Rodgers has produced some very good talent in our academy, as we're seeing. Your point being?

D. Give me results in the long term over 'dignity and respect' any day of the week. There's no dignity in failure.

E. Laughable - look at the players on their wage bill and compare it to ours! They won the FA Cup 18 months ago, which is a slightly higher starting point than what Rodgers was at.

F. If you'd seen Bopp play, you'd realise he's not even good enough for this level (the Championship, just to be clear).

213 posts