Sir John: `Brendan was not a mistake' from the Chronic

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sir John: `Brendan was not a mistake' from the Chronic

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 21:34

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
AthleticoSpizz yes ..but................there is nothing simple about simplistic

JM made the choice back in the closed season (or before)

JM has gone on national tv smarming up to Brendan's departure

If my boss (in the real world) had hired one of my workmates ...then discarded him "as a loser" after only 6 months

I know where I would be looking to as the poor employer

Good luck MaccyD

He's put his bolloxs on the line and if this goes bad then by all means go for them. (that doesn't sound like I mean it too btw)

If it works out it would have been the right thing to do though.

JM's a lot of things, he's not stupid. He knows how this makes him look..

He'll be vindicated if this works though. A strong leader admits when he is wrong.

you'll get no arguement out of me there Doe

I have heard no admission yet tho'

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Dec 2009 21:36

You are right mate.

But people like JM don't make admissions to people like us.

That's fcukin life.....

:wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Dec 2009 21:56

2 world wars, 1 world cup
AthleticoSpizz In my simplistic world

You hire someone

you have to sack them after 6 months

YOU have fii3ked up

Spot on.

I don't see how you can spend 500k to get someone, give them a 3 year contract then give them a massive payout just to get rid of them and not admit it's been a mistake.

Perhaps it wasn't a mistake. It was a MONUMENTAL F**K-UP.

But hey, he has to respect Brenda and say the right thing. To be fair to John I can't expect him to sack the poor guy and then harp on about him being a mistake. We all know it was a mistake but he can't just come out and say it.

What does REALLY get to me though is what he said about strengthening the squad in January. The article doesn't give the full picture but basically his response to the question of a new man having money to spend in January was 'No we have a big enough squad.'. !!!!! Even when the interviewer tried to help John out a bit by saying something like "perhaps it's too early to say and the new man as to see what he has to work with and then you'll see what the situation is?" John didn't take that option and seemed to drive home his belief that the squad is good enough.

If we don't sign decent strikers in January I will be tipped into calling for Madejski's head.

That's too simplistic imo. Not everything is black and white. It's not wrong, it just is.

We've all made choices like this, that for some reason just don't work out and it's a million times better to take action now than when it could have been too late.

JM saw this club club sleep walk into relagation 2 years ago.

Whilst I still disagree and do believe it was a mistake, I agree that it was big of Sir John to admit to it silently by sacking him - actions speak louder than words! I'm quite happy with the sacking to be honest.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Dec 2009 22:03

I think his PR is terrible. He always looks bad and makes things hard for himself. I don't buy into the theory that people will just batter him whatever he says either.

But people very hard to admit to mistakes in this game....

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 18 Dec 2009 22:08

Terminal Boardom

But I will say this, I'm as committed to Reading Football Club as I ever have been
I suppose that depends on how committed you have been since the start - you just said you have been trying to sell the club for 20 years!

TB Sell = "raise the finances" a sign of real commitment as opposed to some ego trip.
The wear and tear of 20 years trying is really beginning to show.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Dec 2009 22:14

and my support of 38 years plus?

Seriously......it has been great

The sh1t times were there. The sh1t times are here. The good times will return...........its football, thats what happens (Luton, Chester, Southport, Workington, Halifax etc excepted)

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Dec 2009 22:16

Platypuss
Ideal If it were not for him, we would now be the Thames Valley FC and playing our matches at Oxford's old stadium.

Your RFC history could do with a bit of work.

I must commend you Platypuss on your restraint. I suspect that like me it makes your blood boil when people come out with this sort of ill informed garbage which is an insult to all of us who fought Maxwell and Roger Smee and Roy Tranter in particular.