Where has that dressing room gone?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Where has that dressing room gone?

by Royalee » 29 Dec 2009 13:27

Stranded
Royalee Did I not predict that this would happen the day the decision was made to sack Rodgers?

To be honest, it was pretty much happening already.

No it wasn't - you couldn't fault the players' effort during the Scunthorpe game.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 29 Dec 2009 13:41

The fact of the matter is the squad isn't good enough to keep us in this division and that it 100% the board's fault

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 29 Dec 2009 13:49

Cookie Oh what are we to do?
McDermott's lost the dressing room now. :shock:

Christ, why do people always spout the same unsubstantiated bullshit during a bad run?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Dec 2009 17:15

Jeffers217 The fact of the matter is the squad isn't good enough to keep us in this division and that it 100% the board's fault

No it isn't - the list is long and (not very) distinguished

John Madejski
Nigel Howe
Nick Hammond
Steve Coppell (I'll be struck by lightening for such blasphemy, but there you go)
Brendan Rodgers
Frank Lampard Snr
Andre Bikey (Burnley away)
Marcus Hahnemann (Birmingham at home)
Stephen Hunt
Stephen Hunt's agent
Scott Brown
Robbie Keane

Life is always a combination of events. Some we control - others are fate.

I hate where we are and it hurts to think we may get thrown back to the level where I first started watching, but to blame any one person or event is the short road to madness.

The answer - support or don't support, but it's football, and however good or bad it feels, it won't be the death of any of us (unless we let it)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Dec 2009 17:29

When one man is so completely in control, it is only right that he should carry the blame.

The death spiral really started over the summer with his manic cloth cutting edict.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 29 Dec 2009 17:55

There was nothing manic about it. When we didn't go up, the bank called in the overdraft, JM had no significant liquidity, and the medium to long term income of the club was projected to fall drastically. We had to make ends meet. The alternative of "investing" - i.e. spending beyond our income - simply didn't exist. There was no financial avenue for doing so.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 29 Dec 2009 18:32

Franchise FC
Jeffers217 The fact of the matter is the squad isn't good enough to keep us in this division and that it 100% the board's fault

John Madejski
Nigel Howe
Nick Hammond
Steve Coppell (I'll be struck by lightening for such blasphemy, but there you go)
Brendan Rodgers
Frank Lampard Snr
Stephen Hunt
Stephen Hunt's agent
Scott Brown
Robbie Keane

I hate where we are and it hurts to think we may get thrown back to the level where I first started watching, but to blame any one person or event is the short road to madness.

The answer - support or don't support, but it's football, and however good or bad it feels, it won't be the death of any of us (unless we let it)

:lol: How is Robbie Keane implicated? Or are you blaming him for scoring a goal against us at crucial time?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Dec 2009 20:36

Factfinder
Franchise FC

John Madejski
Nigel Howe
Nick Hammond
Brendan Rodgers
Frank Lampard Snr
Stephen Hunt
Stephen Hunt's agent
Scott Brown
Robbie Keane

:lol: How is Robbie Keane implicated? Or are you blaming him for scoring a goal against us at crucial time?

That's exactly why he's included.

I missed out Danny Murphy and Portsmouth (but their getting theirs now)

Sir Rodger Doyle

Re: Reading on the edge

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 29 Dec 2009 21:04

Wongle Finally a sensible post! I concur with everything you said. Nigel Howe has made a grave mistake in manufacturing BR's early exit!

This is what I have heard from a very angry training ground source

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Dec 2009 22:22

Ian Royal
JR Ive been saying this since it happened, but the moment the board sacked rodgers they turned the club from a guaranteed mid/lower table safe finish to relegation candidates.

The last two games have shown we are in real danger. This was not the case under br as we were making big improvements and were entertaining to watch.

I know for a fact that he had the dressing room and by sacking their man (just look at the contrast in jobis performances since the sacking) the players have been lost.

I am ashamed to be associated by a board who have treated br disgracefully and at the same time put the future of the club in grave danger!

They must act now and get the right man in. In my eyes they must admit their mistake and bring rodgers back. That will never happen, but they need to find an impact man and find him soon.

I would read your whole post, but you've clearly set your stall at delusional if you thought Rodgers would see us in a guaranteed mid-table position given his apalling handling of our season's first 21 games.

We've been relegation candidates for a damn site longer than two weeks.

Ignore this cretin JR, he doesn't go to half the games and has proven himself to know nothing about football. He also wishes illness upon people and comes on internet forums looking for relationship advice.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2009 00:36

JR
leon
JR Ive been saying this since it happened, but the moment the board sacked rodgers they turned the club from a guaranteed mid/lower table safe finish to relegation candidates.

say no more. You know absolutely f*ck all.

replace the word guaranteed with almost definite. Some of us have been around football a lot longer than you and know a good thing when we see it.

unless you're quite old then I don't think you have been, actually mate. And if you are, then you haven't learnt much. You said guaranteed then replaced with almost definite. What's next? Probably? b*llocks we have been struggling all season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Dec 2009 00:43

Royalee
Ian Royal

The last two games have shown we are in real danger. This was not the case under br as we were making big improvements and were entertaining to watch.

I know for a fact that he had the dressing room and by sacking their man (just look at the contrast in jobis performances since the sacking) the players have been lost.

I am ashamed to be associated by a board who have treated br disgracefully and at the same time put the future of the club in grave danger!

They must act now and get the right man in. In my eyes they must admit their mistake and bring rodgers back. That will never happen, but they need to find an impact man and find him soon.

I would read your whole post, but you've clearly set your stall at delusional if you thought Rodgers would see us in a guaranteed mid-table position given his apalling handling of our season's first 21 games.

We've been relegation candidates for a damn site longer than two weeks.

Ignore this cretin JR, he doesn't go to half the games and has proven himself to know nothing about football. He also wishes illness upon people and comes on internet forums looking for relationship advice.

ooh get you, nasty

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 30 Dec 2009 00:50

Franchise FC I missed out Danny Murphy and Portsmouth (but their getting theirs now)

What about Arry "mah missus could ave scored that, lor luv a duck, apples and pears, feckin" Redknapp! I hope HMRC sue him to bankruptcy.

JR

by JR » 30 Dec 2009 01:25

leon
JR
replace the word guaranteed with almost definite. Some of us have been around football a lot longer than you and know a good thing when we see it.

unless you're quite old then I don't think you have been, actually mate. And if you are, then you haven't learnt much. You said guaranteed then replaced with almost definite. What's next? Probably? b*llocks we have been struggling all season.

At the end of the day its a matter of personal opinion, but all i know is that under rodgers i looked forward to every match and appreciated what he was trying to do in the medium term.

When the sacking was announced i was dumbfounded and in shock. I still havent heard a real explanation from the board and clearly it was a surprise for br. In the last two games i have felt genuine fear for relegation for the first time this season.

You may say i am delusional, but i see myself as a rational fan who goes home and away and has sensible match day debates with those around me. My opinion is shared by these people and i believe the quiet majority of fans feel the same way.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 30 Dec 2009 01:35

JR goes home and away and has sensible match day debates with those around me.

There's your credibility gone.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 30 Dec 2009 10:35

JR
leon
JR

At the end of the day its a matter of personal opinion, but all i know is that under rodgers i looked forward to every match and appreciated what he was trying to do in the medium term.

When the sacking was announced i was dumbfounded and in shock. I still havent heard a real explanation from the board and clearly it was a surprise for br. In the last two games i have felt genuine fear for relegation for the first time this season.

You may say i am delusional, but i see myself as a rational fan who goes home and away and has sensible match day debates with those around me. My opinion is shared by these people and i believe the quiet majority of fans feel the same way.

I agree with this. I wasn't a Rodgers groupie, but I wanted him given more time. I could see what he was trying to do, and if we're honest there were signs of improvement. I was confident, even at QPR, that we could get through the transition.

But sacking him in the way it was done seems uncharacteristic of our club, and leaves a bad taste, as well as smacking of panic. None of which will encourage good performance, nor indeed attract good people (players or managers) to join us. I feel really worried now.

I just don't get this short term approach that many people seem to favour. The facts are that most of what is achieved by football clubs now is related ot the amount of money they have. We cannot play that game, and so the only alternative is to have a regime that seeks to improve the players we can get. It worked for a while with Coppell, and I think it could well have worked with Rodgers in time. But panicky short-termism is poisonous to that kind of approach.

If we can't wave a cheque book, and we are cutting the legs from beneath the alternative strategy, I wonder what our Plan C is.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 30 Dec 2009 10:42

JR all i know is that under rodgers i looked forward to every match

:shock: :lol: :lol:

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 30 Dec 2009 10:54

[I agree with this. I wasn't a Rodgers groupie, but I wanted him given more time. I could see what he was trying to do, and if we're honest there were signs of improvement. I was confident, even at QPR, that we could get through the transition.

But sacking him in the way it was done seems uncharacteristic of our club, and leaves a bad taste, as well as smacking of panic. None of which will encourage good performance, nor indeed attract good people (players or managers) to join us. I feel really worried now.

I just don't get this short term approach that many people seem to favour. The facts are that most of what is achieved by football clubs now is related ot the amount of money they have. We cannot play that game, and so the only alternative is to have a regime that seeks to improve the players we can get. It worked for a while with Coppell, and I think it could well have worked with Rodgers in time. But panicky short-termism is poisonous to that kind of approach.

If we can't wave a cheque book, and we are cutting the legs from beneath the alternative strategy, I wonder what our Plan C is.[/quote]

level headed post, but it depends how you define "short-termism".

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Dec 2009 12:27

I think what did for Rodgers was the 2 steps forward 2 steps back we experienced. We really looked like improving and moving up the table. Then what happened? Crystal Palace and Scunthorpe. It was not unreasonable to hope for 6 points from those 2, with our recent home hoodoo broken. What happened? 1 point, and our recent progress appeared to have been undone. Those who say that we were heading for mid-table under Rodgers only have to look at those games.

I don't know if it was a mistake to sack him. It depends what we do next. Go through January without a manager and allow McDermott too much time after Plymouth - it was a mistake.

Bring in a good manager such as Ferguson, Irvine or Curbishley with plenty of time to assess the squad etc. - it was a good decision.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Dec 2009 12:41

rhroyal I think what did for Rodgers was the 2 steps forward 2 steps back we experienced. We really looked like improving and moving up the table. Then what happened? Crystal Palace and Scunthorpe. It was not unreasonable to hope for 6 points from those 2, with our recent home hoodoo broken. What happened? 1 point, and our recent progress appeared to have been undone.

Federici cost us against Palace although I agree that Rodgers got his team selection wrong, but we should have absolutely hammered Scunthorpe and put in a very good performance. Since we sacked him although we were the better team at Bristol, we only equalised in injury time as opposed to leading for most of the game and having it to throw away in the first place, were lucky against Swansea to get a draw and were an absolute shambles at Plymouth.