Club must save £4 million

276 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Club must save £4 million

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Apr 2010 10:54

If it means getting rid of the dead wood or moving on some higher earners who don't start, then fine.

Selling our biggest asset will sting a bit. Certainly after being told last summer was so we wouldn't have too.

The big worry is that we need major investment in the back for, with at least 4 new players required. Where are we gona get that money from?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Apr 2010 11:00

Disappointing news. I thought all the cuts last summer had put us in a position where we wouldn't have to be making them again 12 months later. Still, sell Cisse and Matejovksy (500K combined?) and that'll also take off their wages, wages set in the Premiership. Release Ivar, offload the likes of Mooney, Cummings and possibly even Henry. I think we can save it. My main worry is that our chances of bringing back Bertrand, Kish and Griffin look very slim now and they have been integral to our recent success on the pitch.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 28 Apr 2010 11:06

Sell? Aren't Cisse and Marek free this summer?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 Apr 2010 11:07

Historically speaking we're still punching way above our weight but we're not badly placed to take advantage of the financial mess our competitors are in. Next season could see several clubs starting the Championship in administration and with point deductions. We won't be a bad proposition for players looking for a new club and indeed one or two existing players might see themselves safer here than at a team where finances might be an issue.

Undoubtedly some of our higher earners will be shown the door but one would hope that the savings RFC need to make could be achieved without selling our brightest stars or the core of the team that's performed so well since Xmas

In any case there aren't that many clubs that could afford to take a risk on the likes of Gylfi and those that could will have their pick of many more experienced players this summer as other clubs look to drastically cut costs. I think we'll see all of our younger first XI players here next term once McD convinces them they're better playing week in week out at this level than warming the bench at Wigan. Their time will come.
Last edited by TFF on 28 Apr 2010 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 28 Apr 2010 11:07

Its all a bit disappointing, based on this report it seems pretty certain that Griff, Khiz and Bertrand won't be staying, if we assume that Fed and Gylfi do have to be sold and Ingi moves on then we really do look very thin for the start of next year, and lets be honest I don't think many people want to go through the first 6 months of this season again do they?

Hamer
Kelly
Pearce
Mills
Cummings
McAnuff
Howard
Karacan
Kebe
Long
Hunt

I just don't get it really. For a man of such obvious business and financial acumen as Madj, I struggle to understand why are we going round the same cloth cutting circles since we were relegated? I know there's been a credit crunch and I know we had high earners but there has been a substantial amount of money coming in to the club as well. No conspiracy theories I just think its sad the club, and Madejski in particular, seem to have lost the ambition to establish us in the Prem. Ah well, happy to be proved wrong and I look forward to it!

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 28 Apr 2010 11:09

Controversial perhaps, but I'd sooner see Kebe sold for £3-4m than lose Sigurdsson.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 Apr 2010 11:10

Looks like Mick McCarthy could be helping bridge the financial gap...he's interested in Glyfi, but also wants to sign Shunt and Bikey..and if Bugs has done his job properly on the latter 2, then hopefully there will be sell on clauses...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Apr 2010 11:11

ZacNaloen
Harpers So Solid Crew
ZacNaloen Assuming the likes of matejovsky, cisse and ingimarsson go that's probably a two or three million saved in wages alone assuming they are on about 20,000 a week, there are ways of cutting back without losing anyone we don't want to.

I can't see any of those being on 20k a week.

I can, quite easily, considering they haven't had new contracts negotiated since we got relegated.

With the exception there was supposed to be a 40% cut after relegation, built into the contracts..

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Apr 2010 11:22

Would be shocked if our top earner was on more than 16k.

The idea of Cummings or Kelly playing next seasonis a worrying one. Cummings against City in the reserves was an eye opener. He's so' so far off from being good enough, no doubt the coments r an attempt to sell him. Incredibley he is one of the highest earners.

It's not so much players leaving, as players not joining that worries...

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 28 Apr 2010 11:24

Messiah Controversial perhaps, but I'd sooner see Kebe sold for £3-4m than lose Sigurdsson.

Why would this be controversial? :|

More to the point, why would it be relevant when we'd have no chance of getting anything like that for Kebe?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 28 Apr 2010 11:27

40% of 30,000 (the minimum i'd have expected them to be on in the prem if we were offering competitive wages compared to others at our level in that league).

40% off that is 18,000 so that across 3 players who probably aren't earning equally that = an estimated 2.8 million a year saved..

So to go back to my earlier post, it's about 3 million saved.

If it's 16k as Smoking Doe suggests then thats 2.4 million saved... still nothing to scoff at.

The issue is of course we need to sign at least 3 players in defense as well, so we may have to off load one or two assets for the sake of ensuring our defense for next season... at the expense of one or two of our attackers.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Apr 2010 11:41

I just don't get it really. For a man of such obvious business and financial acumen as Madj, I struggle to understand why are we going round the same cloth cutting circles since we were relegated? I know there's been a credit crunch and I know we had high earners but there has been a substantial amount of money coming in to the club as well. No conspiracy theories I just think its sad the club, and Madejski in particular, seem to have lost the ambition to establish us in the Prem. Ah well, happy to be proved wrong and I look forward to it!

oxf*rd all to do with ambition.
its about being financially viable, and if theres not enough money coming in, then we need to cut our outgoings
doesnt matter how much money comes in, if its not enough to break even.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Apr 2010 11:46

LOL at anyone thinking we have the remotest chance in hell of signing any of our loanees permanently.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Apr 2010 11:47

DOYLERSAROYALER Looks like Mick McCarthy could be helping bridge the financial gap...he's interested in Glyfi, but also wants to sign Shunt and Bikey..and if Bugs has done his job properly on the latter 2, then hopefully there will be sell on clauses...

No sell on clauses for either; both were sold for pretty decent amounts of dosh and we needed to sell, so we weren't really in a position to negotiate sell on clauses.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Apr 2010 11:53

ZacNaloen 40% of 30,000 (the minimum i'd have expected them to be on in the prem if we were offering competitive wages compared to others at our level in that league).

40% off that is 18,000 so that across 3 players who probably aren't earning equally that = an estimated 2.8 million a year saved..

So to go back to my earlier post, it's about 3 million saved.

If it's 16k as Smoking Doe suggests then thats 2.4 million saved... still nothing to scoff at.

The issue is of course we need to sign at least 3 players in defense as well, so we may have to off load one or two assets for the sake of ensuring our defense for next season... at the expense of one or two of our attackers.

SHunt was reportedly our top earner in the Premiership on 25k. Look how he repaid it :x :x :x

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 28 Apr 2010 12:00

Barry the bird boggler LOL at anyone thinking we have the remotest chance in hell of signing any of our loanees permanently.

Can't we just keep them on loan... please?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Apr 2010 12:02

unfortunately it does not bode well for keeping on loan or signing permenantly high earners like Griffin, Krishinishvili and Bertrand

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Apr 2010 12:07

The was I see is that we need to cut COSTS by £4m, it does not mean we need £4m extra income in one off transfer fees. This is about the day to day running of the club and that means reducing the cost base. So yes selling someone like Sigurdsson will bring in a fair bit of money as a one-off amount (well not technically as payments are staged) but he is not one of the higher earners at the moment and therefore it would not reduce the cost base by much.

So I don't this this news as a threat to our star players being sold, but more about shifting those higher earners who don't feature much (Matejovsky, Cisse, Mooney, Cummings, even Rasiak, as well as Ingi).

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 28 Apr 2010 12:16

Wycombe Royal The was I see is that we need to cut COSTS by £4m, it does not mean we need £4m extra income in one off transfer fees. This is about the day to day running of the club and that means reducing the cost base. So yes selling someone like Sigurdsson will bring in a fair bit of money as a one-off amount (well not technically as payments are staged) but he is not one of the higher earners at the moment and therefore it would not reduce the cost base by much.

So I don't this this news as a threat to our star players being sold, but more about shifting those higher earners who don't feature much (Matejovsky, Cisse, Mooney, Cummings, even Rasiak, as well as Ingi).

Exactly how I see it, selling a player for 4million only defers the issue another year. It doesn't solve the underlying issue in that day to day costs are too high and we need to reduce the squad size, permanently.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Apr 2010 12:26

ZacNaloen
Wycombe Royal The was I see is that we need to cut COSTS by £4m, it does not mean we need £4m extra income in one off transfer fees. This is about the day to day running of the club and that means reducing the cost base. So yes selling someone like Sigurdsson will bring in a fair bit of money as a one-off amount (well not technically as payments are staged) but he is not one of the higher earners at the moment and therefore it would not reduce the cost base by much.

Exactly how I see it, selling a player for 4million only defers the issue another year. It doesn't solve the underlying issue in that day to day costs are too high and we need to reduce the squad size, permanently.

Agreed

Unless we sell a £4M player ever season which just won't happen IMO

276 posts