by The whole year inn » 09 Jan 2011 19:29

I like that we prey on teams that are desperate for money :lol:

Reminds me a bit of the Doyle transfer - Cork needed cash and fast

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Royal Lady » 09 Jan 2011 19:31

Royal Lady Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

I'm not knocking the signing per se, just making the point that we wouldn't have been thinking this a few seasons ago.

My point still stands. It is very sad to think that "this is as good as it possibly could have got" when we buy a striker for £300k.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 19:33

id prefer it to think of it like this:

1.5 million for young and unproven 2nd top scorer in 3rd tier
300k for less young, but more proven, 1st top scorer in 3rd tier.

viewed like that it makes total sense, and doesnt cause me to have a "wheres the ambition" aneurism

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 19:35

Royal Lady
Royal Lady Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

I'm not knocking the signing per se, just making the point that we wouldn't have been thinking this a few seasons ago.

My point still stands. It is very sad to think that "this is as good as it possibly could have got" when we buy a striker for £300k.

And I'd say buying a League One's top scorer and a player with limited Championship & Premier League experience for £300k is awesome. The size of the fee is immaterial (as has been shown so often by us) it's the quality you get for it on which you judge.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Jan 2011 19:36

I didn't mention ambition.

:roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 19:39

Royal Lady I didn't mention ambition.

i didnt say you did, and wasnt referring to you with that aneurism comment, i was saying it would stop me having one, by viewing the transaction as above instead of "BWP for 300 k???!!! pffft, we should be buying austin for 1.5"

just saying it makes total sense to me, and if i were manager, id be making exactly the same choice as brian.
im sure we could have stretched to 1.5. we just chose not to, cos we didnt think he was worth it.

much love. mwah

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 19:42

brendywendy
Royal Lady I didn't mention ambition.

i didnt say you did, and wasnt referring to you with that aneurism comment, i was saying it would stop me having one, by viewing the transaction as above instead of "BWP for 300 k???!!! pffft, we should be buying austin for 1.5"

just saying it makes total sense to me, and if i were manager, id be making exactly the same choice as brian.
im sure we could have stretched to 1.5. we just chose not to, cos we didnt think he was worth it.

much love. mwah

I'm not so sure we could have stretched, though you are right. Why on earth pay 5 times as much for a player with maybe more potential, but less experience and roughly the same current record?

79Royal

by 79Royal » 09 Jan 2011 19:43

Royal Lady

Haven't we been thinking like this for years now? And isn't that why so many people want Madejski out?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 19:48

i have no idea how many people really want him out, but i wouldnt take the people who shout loudest on hobnob to be any kind of majority

i do know that the alot of people who want him out want him out for spurious reaons

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 09 Jan 2011 20:21

We haven't signed anyone vaguely exciting for awhile, I come back from a wkend away and we are apparently signing two new players!
We all would have preferred Austin and we won't be the only club who have been priced out. I trust McD and his signings and he must see some potential. We really need a back up striker for long now mooney and rasiak are gone so I'm quite happy if this goes through

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 09 Jan 2011 20:34

tomrfcurz
Linden Jones' Tash How long will this take?...if the fee and terms were agreed yesterday and he was having a medical today, anyone know when it will be confirmed, or does he need scans and that?

I'm guessing at maybe the complication of a. Holding press conferences on a Sunday and b. Getting the permission from the bodies on a Sunday as well. 11am tomorrow maybe, would seem sensible?

Hopefully..............unless micky mouse has messed up again.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 20:37

you mean like how he messed up buying all those players for peanuts, and selling them for millions.

yeah, hammond out :roll:

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 09 Jan 2011 20:39

brendywendy you mean like how he messed up buying all those players for peanuts, and selling them for millions.

No he means when Madejski took donkeys to step up to the asking price or at least a reasonable price for Tommy Smith then we were too late as Portsmouth had got wind he was available for the right offer

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 09 Jan 2011 20:41

Alan Partridge Plymouth MUST raise £500k by the end of January. Otherwise it's goodnight to Cornwall's 2nd biggest club.

Am I missing something or did Plymouth move into Cornwall overnight?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 20:44

tomrfcurz
brendywendy you mean like how he messed up buying all those players for peanuts, and selling them for millions.

No he means when Madejski took donkeys to step up to the asking price or at least a reasonable price for Tommy Smith then we were too late as Portsmouth had got wind he was available for the right offer

yes. cos it makes sense to carp on about 1 occasion where a transfer didnt take place due to multitudinous reasons, mainly to do with last minute bids from a premiere league club.
hammond could have sorted it on the first day of the window, but if pompey had said, actually- we'd quite likie to buy him, hed still ahve gone.

and even if it is all hammonds fault for not getting smith(who has never looked worth buying to me anyway), why focus on that instead of the great players he has got for us, and huge huge transfer surplus over his tenure

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 09 Jan 2011 20:45

Jesus Christ you are depressing

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 09 Jan 2011 20:46

brendywendy
tomrfcurz

yes. cos it makes sense to carp on about 1 occasion where a transfer didnt take place due to multitudinous reasons, mainly to do with last minute bids from a premiere league club.
hammond could have sorted it on the first day of the window, but if pompey had said, actually- we'd quite likie to buy him, hed still ahve gone.

and even if it is all hammonds fault for not getting smith(who has never looked worth buying to me anyway), why focus on that instead of the great players he has got for us, and huge huge transfer surplus over his tenure

I ain't moaning, i don't see that there's been any hiccups, just explaining that fans can be very 'selective' over what's remembered, unfortunately for Mr Mad and co that's how it always will be and RFC fans may think the worst with a deal falling through that is promising, such as Smith. However, as you say there is no real need to think about that; let bygones be bygones as they say

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 09 Jan 2011 20:52

tomrfcurz No he means when Madejski took donkeys to step up to the asking price or at least a reasonable price for Tommy Smith then we were too late as Portsmouth had got wind he was available for the right offer

No they didn't, they had a court lift an order that stopped them from buying anyone. I would have thought it was pretty blatantly obvious that the deal was set up long before that day, Russo and Smith's agent dragging their heels up to the last minute in the hope that Pompey would win their case. Do you seriously think that such deals are done in a few minutes?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2011 21:10

Only Reading fans could moan about signing the current top scorer in L1 for a knock down price....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2011 21:23

Fairly decent signing for a reasonable price too.

Not a player I'd get excited about watching from what I've seen of him in the past but I do think he can be a good foil for Long. He's got pace, can beat a defender with a little bit of trickery or movement and knows where the goal is. Not quite the raw finisher that would compliment Long the most, or the big physical target man that I still think we could do with in the squad but gives us the extra strength and options we're crying out for.

Not sure I agree we've snuck this under other clubs radars or that he's more proven than Austin, but decent enough signing all the same.

934 posts