Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the Game - Brighton (H)

by Snowball » 04 Apr 2012 08:10

My point, vish, is that (IMO) the two central midfielders are

getting into the box a lot more

shooting more

scoring more

and it's my opinion that's because McD has taken the shackles off. Both have taken pot shots in the past as you say
but now it looks to me like Brian has asked them for a scoring contribution

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the Game - Brighton (H)

by Vision » 04 Apr 2012 08:38

Snowball My point, vish, is that (IMO) the two central midfielders are

getting into the box a lot more

shooting more

scoring more

and it's my opinion that's because McD has taken the shackles off. Both have taken pot shots in the past as you say
but now it looks to me like Brian has asked them for a scoring contribution

Which may well be the case but isn't the part of my post you quoted or argued against is it?.

My point though is that it's my opinion that Leigertwood isn't any more inclined to shoot from a certain distance given the opportunity now than he was up to 6/7 games ago. Putting up the amount of attempts he has had (including at least one headed goal) as if it argues the case is completely irrelevant to the pint being made. Unless that is you can put up 100% reliable data which shows conclusively how many times Leigertwood passed up a shooting opportunity from that certain distance before as compared to now, which I'm pretty certain you can't.

There are some things you can't simply quantify with stats. It's just a discussion between 2 people on a messageboard who happen to have a slightly different POV.It's fine to disagree.I think you make a valid point I just don't 100% agree with it. You really don't need to always desperately search for "numerical proof" to back up an opinion especially when the point you're arguing against isn't a definite tangible statement anyway.

EDIT. BTW I'm not arguing that they've not been scoring more recently of course but (something you ignored in your selective quoting of my post) that 1 of the goals was a header from a cleared set-piece whilst 2 of the others came in that last 30 minute spell which as you say earlier was part of the original tactic. It's not entirely conclusive proof that there has been a "sea change" in how Leigertwood and Karacan are asked to go about their jobs.

203 posts