Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
Madstad to Nadderud

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by Madstad to Nadderud » 19 Oct 2012 11:48

Pepe the Horseman I've only read the last page, so apologies if it's already been posted. Fergie having a dig at Roberts

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has condemned Jason Roberts for boycotting this weekend's anti-racism campaign.

The Reading striker has revealed he will not wear a Kick It Out shirt before the game against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday in protest at what he says is the organisation's lack of action against racism in football.

However, Ferguson believes Roberts is wrong not to support Kick It Out's annual week of action and expects all of his players, including Rio Ferdinand, to don their T-shirts as a show of support in the fight against racism.

"I have to disagree with Jason Roberts. I think he is making the wrong point," the Scot said. Everyone should be united, with all the players in the country wearing the Kick it Out warm-up tops.

"I don't know what point he is trying to make. I don't know if he is trying to put himself on a different pedestal from everyone. But he really should be supporting all the rest of the players who are doing it."

It has been suggested that United defender Ferdinand - whose brother Anton was the subject of racist abuse from John Terry - could follow Roberts' lead and snub the traditional shirts before Saturday's game with Stoke.

But that would be a surprise to Ferguson, who added: "When you do something, and everyone believes in it, you should all do it together. There shouldn't be sheep wandering off. I think he is making the wrong message.

"All the players are wearing it. I have only heard that Jason Roberts is different - but he is very different. He plays a game and is in the studio 20 minutes after it. That is a great privilege."

But that's the point NOT all the players believe in it or let alone undestand the problems of racism - they're only wearing the t-shirts, jumpers or whatever else because they're told to do so. Therefore, Jason Roberts has every right to feel let down by a campaign supposedly trying to get rid of this problem. Roberts is extremely brave for taking his stance considering his media work, etc. Again, as said earlier above, top marks to the guy for standing up for he believes in.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 19 Oct 2012 11:49

Ferguson: "I don't know what point he is trying to make."

Roberts has made it very clearly. He believes the Kick it Out campaign should be independent and not in bed with an FA that gives out weak punishments for racism. He is boycotting Kick it Out week because it is embedded in the league programme and as such appears to be a facet of business as normal.

Ferguson has also missed another point of Roberts's statement, which is to get people like Ferguson talking about the issue. By saying what he did, Roberts has probably single-handedly done more to raise awareness of the urgency of this issue than Kick it Out week would have done as a whole. It's all right for Ferguson to say: "He plays a game and is in the studio 20 minutes after it. That is a great privilege." But that is another point. Roberts has a privileged position as a spokesman and he's using it to have an influence.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 19 Oct 2012 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Oct 2012 11:50

melonhead defo said it, can clearly see he said it

in teh court of law he made up a load of bollox, that was clearly bollox, but was impossible to prove wasnt
the FA werent burdeend with that, and could just come out and say, no john, im sorry, but that its clearly total bollox.

cant believe how much and automatically you are up john terrys arse

he a oxf*rd oxf*rd

regardless of his "debateable" choice of words to ferdinand

Yes, but someone like you didn't like JT prior to this, so you were always going to be on Anton Ferdinand's side with your blinkered view. If JT was found guilty by the courts, I would accept the punishment dished out by the FA. Chelsea have had to fine him, to keep the FA happy. However, given how Jason Roberts is playing the race card, I'm inclined to believe Terry even more now.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 19 Oct 2012 11:52

facaldaqui Ferguson: "I don't know what point he is trying to make."

Roberts has made it very clearly. He believes the Kick it Out campaign should be independent and not in bed with an FA that gives out weak punishments for racism. He is boycotting Kick it Out week because it is embedded in the league programme and as such appears to be a facet of business as normal.

Ferguson has also missed another point of Roberts's statement, which is to get people like Ferguson talking about the issue. By saying what he did, Roberts has probably single-handedly done more to raise awareness of the urgency of this issue than Kick it Out week would have done as a whole. It's all right for Ferguson to say: "He plays a game and is in the studio 20 minutes after it. That is a great privilege." But that is another point. Roberts has a privileged position as a spokesman and he's using it to have an influence.

Sir, I salute you! See my posts above.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 12:01

No Fixed Abode
melonhead defo said it, can clearly see he said it

in teh court of law he made up a load of bollox, that was clearly bollox, but was impossible to prove wasnt
the FA werent burdeend with that, and could just come out and say, no john, im sorry, but that its clearly total bollox.

cant believe how much and automatically you are up john terrys arse

he a oxf*rd oxf*rd

regardless of his "debateable" choice of words to ferdinand

Yes, but someone like you didn't like JT prior to this, so you were always going to be on Anton Ferdinand's side with your blinkered view. If JT was found guilty by the courts, I would accept the punishment dished out by the FA. Chelsea have had to fine him, to keep the FA happy. However, given how Jason Roberts is playing the race card, I'm inclined to believe Terry even more now.

probably h8 anton ferdinand more

lol at calling me blinkered

terry is merely a passing eyebrow raiser to me
i wouldnt atack him for whatever he did no matter what
whereas you would defend , just cos hes a chelsea player

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 19 Oct 2012 12:11

Fcuk of Jason, fcuk off

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Oct 2012 12:17

Caskeys Lovechild £220,000 fine for Terry? He earns that in a week - it simply doesn't affect him

No he doesn't and yes it does.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2012 12:30

Pepe the Horseman I've only read the last page, so apologies if it's already been posted. Fergie having a dig at Roberts

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has condemned Jason Roberts for boycotting this weekend's anti-racism campaign.

The Reading striker has revealed he will not wear a Kick It Out shirt before the game against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday in protest at what he says is the organisation's lack of action against racism in football.

However, Ferguson believes Roberts is wrong not to support Kick It Out's annual week of action and expects all of his players, including Rio Ferdinand, to don their T-shirts as a show of support in the fight against racism.

"I have to disagree with Jason Roberts. I think he is making the wrong point," the Scot said. Everyone should be united, with all the players in the country wearing the Kick it Out warm-up tops.

"I don't know what point he is trying to make. I don't know if he is trying to put himself on a different pedestal from everyone. But he really should be supporting all the rest of the players who are doing it."

It has been suggested that United defender Ferdinand - whose brother Anton was the subject of racist abuse from John Terry - could follow Roberts' lead and snub the traditional shirts before Saturday's game with Stoke.

But that would be a surprise to Ferguson, who added: "When you do something, and everyone believes in it, you should all do it together. There shouldn't be sheep wandering off. I think he is making the wrong message.

"All the players are wearing it. I have only heard that Jason Roberts is different - but he is very different. He plays a game and is in the studio 20 minutes after it. That is a great privilege."

Govan native in not understanding something shocker.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Oct 2012 12:38

Wise words from AF in my opinion.

Jason Roberts would do well to take note and wear the shirt. Rascism is plain wrong but throwing your toys out of the pram sends all the wrong signals.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2012 12:43

Would you represent something that you morally don't believe in?

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 19 Oct 2012 12:48

Its the fact that J-RO doesnt want to stand for something that the people supplying it and creating it (the FA) Wont even stand for themselves.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 19 Oct 2012 12:52

This country is far too politically correct. Ferdinand called Cole a chock-ice which is just as bad and didn't get a ban.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 19 Oct 2012 13:01

"When you do something, and everyone believes in it, you should all do it together. There shouldn't be sheep wandering off. I think he is making the wrong message.

That's just heinously stupid.

royalZILLAAA

Re: Newsflash from Norway: Roberts on the front cover!

by royalZILLAAA » 19 Oct 2012 13:07

Handsome Man I'm proud of him.

He is an excellent ambassador for the club and makes me glad to be English.

I wish he would start scoring some goals though

I heartily agree with all of this.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 19 Oct 2012 13:19

Lacoste This country is far too politically correct. Ferdinand called Cole a chock-ice

No he didn't.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 19 Oct 2012 13:22

I agree with all thats been said before but can someone confirm if

a) Anton is Black

and

b) is a cnut

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 19 Oct 2012 13:24

Roberts' views are so one dimensional. Terry did do wrong, but what about the constant aggrevation he had to endure off Ferdinand before he flipped? Suarez is also a bit of a numpty, as opposed to the purer than the driven snow character of Evra - who's a constant pain in the arse with seemingly little respect for anyone either. When are their actions considered to be wrong. The FA probably made their decisions based on it being a two way street not just a single spontaneous crime.

Feel sorry for Rose though, that was a bit much for anyone to endure. That's when the authorities should wade in.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 19 Oct 2012 13:27

Royalclapper Roberts' views are so one dimensional. Terry did do wrong, but what about the constant aggrevation he had to endure off Ferdinand before he flipped?

You think taking the p/ss out of someone for f/cking his mates wife has the same gravitas as racially abusing somebody?

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

Re: Newsflash from Norway: Roberts on the front cover!

by Ups and Downs » 19 Oct 2012 13:37

Gordons Cumming
Handsome Man I'm proud of him.

He is an excellent ambassador for the club and makes me glad to be English.

I wish he would start scoring some goals though

Sort of important for a striker.

Has he had any sort of service? Don't even remember him taking a shot this year in the short time he has played.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 19 Oct 2012 13:37

Extended-Phenotype
Royalclapper Roberts' views are so one dimensional. Terry did do wrong, but what about the constant aggrevation he had to endure off Ferdinand before he flipped?

You think taking the p/ss out of someone for f/cking his mates wife has the same gravitas as racially abusing somebody?

No, of course not. Just to be considered in the context of what happened. It's none of Ferdinand's business who Terry sleeps with unless it's directly connected to him.

1019 posts