Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
royal_ross

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by royal_ross » 12 Dec 2012 10:33

melonhead
Snowball Guthrie refusing to travel meant we had two academy players and a 37 year old midfielder on the bench.

It makes UTTERLY no difference if McDermott has been urinating in Guthrie's face every morning.

Guthrie let down his team-mates and that is unforgiveable. Totally.

There can be no question that Guthrie is an unsettling influence at reading FC
and that has to be permanently fixed today.

He could have put in a transfer request, been clear then shut his f-cking GOB
but his actions are not and should never be, solely about himself.

This is NOT the same as an office job, these are 'soldiers", mates, a team, a squad
and they live and die together. The other players will be perfectly aware of his
extra ball-playing ability. So what? What they want to know is they have a team-mate
who is there when the going gets tough, when the boots fly in, when the elbows start.

Sadly with this issue, and others, it is 99% certain that the damage will take at least the rest
of this season to repair, and next season might be a nightmare too. The heart is being ripped out
of RFC

this^^^^^
100% this

Absolutely spot on. Get him out ASAP.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Dec 2012 10:34

This is a perfect deflection for Mcdermott and the opportunity for all the Mcd RTG's to jump on the "poor old brian" truck, simply we are very poorly prepared for the top flight, are being very poorly managed, no variation of tactics, players with a divine right to be in the starting 11 irrespective of how shit they play, what does Guthrie have to do, we are told he is not match fit ?? what the f**k was he doing on the bench then ?? more mindblowingly dumb mangement !!!

More of the fans are now turning against Mcdermott, as will be clear to see after next mondays regular hammering by Arsenal, and if we are not careful we are going to turn into the Premier league embarrasment that Blackburn Rovers were last season. SJM, Anton whoever is pulling the strings get it sorted your mans not up to it, get him out.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2012 10:35

Late to the party here chaps, but I can't help but feel sorry for Guthrie. He interrupted his honeymoon to meet McD and was persuaded to sign for us. He gushed about he hoped to be a regular in the first team etc etc. He was given half a chance and then McD says he needs to adapt to our style of play. Guthrie is disappointed at this and tweets as much. He's hauled over the coals. He's frozen out for 4 weeks. Meanwhile, we're playing hoofball - we're basically shit and even when he is, according to the manager, ready to play again, he is put on the bench. Then he's "injured", then he's on the bench, and still doesn't get any game time.

Meanwhile, he's still watching us play like a League 2 side and is wondering what the hell he has to do to get a game. McD could have played him yesterday (or Saturday) and said, "right, you think you're going to make a difference? Get out there and show everyone what you're capable of - this is your one chance to prove yourself" - thus placating both him and a lot of fans who are calling for him to start. If he played rubbish, none of us would be clamouring for him to play. If he played his socks off, he'd be a regular in the team. But he's not really been given that chance. So then he's told, after losing again on Saturday, you're on the bench - so he thinks "oxf*rd hell" I'm just not wanted here. And throws a fit - now, I agree it was a daft thing to do, IF that is what happened. But blaming him? Really? And shouldn't McD have been canny enough not to let this sort of thing air to the media? Why did he mention it? Surely not to deflect things away from him? A bad workman always blames his tools. :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:36

cmonurz
melonhead yes

yes

Good against Stoke, excellent against Chelsea (looking back we’ve barely played better than those two games all season) and then made two more league starts. That’s it.

And the same person saying 3 poor games wasn’t enough to drop Feds thinks Guthrie had enough chances.

can you see the glaring difference between those two.........?

one of them has shown us, and brian time and again that he is a good player, and achieved things for us, showing he could be trusted and depended on.
one hasnt.

hence the stay of execution one of the recieved.

guthrie played well in two games, one we drew, one we lost. he then played badly in a few games which we lost where we were getting totally over run in the middle, at least in part due to him and his reluctance to track back and work. he was dropped to try and sort it out, and we went on a run of draws and looked a little better. cant see how he thinks he should just walk back in. especially after his paddy on twitter.
then he got injured, and in on the comeback to fitness. and expects to just walk right in again?
jog on m8
Last edited by melonhead on 12 Dec 2012 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:37

howser This is a perfect deflection for Mcdermott and the opportunity for all the Mcd RTG's to jump on the "poor old brian" truck, simply we are very poorly prepared for the top flight, are being very poorly managed, no variation of tactics, players with a divine right to be in the starting 11 irrespective of how shit they play, what does Guthrie have to do, we are told he is not match fit ?? what the f**k was he doing on the bench then ?? more mindblowingly dumb mangement !!!

More of the fans are now turning against Mcdermott, as will be clear to see after next mondays regular hammering by Arsenal, and if we are not careful we are going to turn into the Premier league embarrasment that Blackburn Rovers were last season. SJM, Anton whoever is pulling the strings get it sorted your mans not up to it, get him out.

not deflecting at all

awful performance last night, no fight, no desire, no leadership, no excuses.

thats one issue.

the other issue is guthrie refusing to play.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:39

what the f**k was he doing on the bench then ?? more mindblowingly dumb mangement !!!

you need 18 men in your match day squad.

no one else was fit.

if brian saw an opportunity to bring him on to protect a lead/gain some fitness in the second half he would have, but as it was we were chasing th egame, and he opted for someone fitter.

the end

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:41

But blaming him? Really?

100% and categorically yes

And shouldn't McD have been canny enough not to let this sort of thing air to the media? Why did he mention it?

he was asked the question.
if hed have said hes not injured, but i just didnt play him, youd be going mental. why should brian take the flack cos one of his players is a total flake.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2012 10:43

How did we get to this situation in the first place? By signing someone who McD obviously already knew did not fit "our style of play" i.e. not a hoofer. :roll: The buck stops with McD I'm afraid. Much as it pains me to say it.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Dec 2012 10:45

You are so right RL !! cant believe that several on here keep jumping to McDermotts defense we are shit and he is the problem......................

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Dec 2012 10:46

melonhead
But Guthrie has been treated unfairly.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What is the bleeming point in signing a player and don't bother using him?

hes had loads of chances, played in plenty of games. the first time he is dropped he goes on twitter and has a pop at the manager.
hes told to go and sort himself out for a couple of games, then gets injured, he plays 45 mins in the reserves and thinks he is within his rights to demand to walk straight into the team?

brian as manager has to take some of the responsibility for the relationship break down. but as a player what guthrie has done, twice, is totally unacceptable

I blame McDermott for signing Guthrie but will forgive him as long as, this deluded individual has played his last game for us, no longer trains with the first team and is projected through the nearest exit at the earliest opportunity

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:48

your gleeful vicious and nasty attacks dont sound particularly pained to me.

he was a good player, with issues in the past. brian gambled on him,and pog, to give us an option to try and change our style of play for the prem. he tried it, but realised two players just werent enough to do it, when they are surrounded by duffers

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Dec 2012 10:51

melonhead
can you see the glaring difference between those two.........?

one of them has shown us, and brian time and again that he is a good player, and achieved things for us, showing he could be trusted and depended on.
one hasnt.

hence the stay of execution one of the recieved.

And Guthrie showed us in the first two games what he can do. You're no Sir Alex Ferguson, brendy, but even you must see he has been treated very harshly.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Dec 2012 10:52

I just cannot believe that anyone feels they have the right to shoot down Brian over this.

Are you at training every day. Do you know what Guthrie has or has not said? The truth is none of us know what has gone on - so we are in no position to judge.

However, at the end of the day Brian met with Guthrie last summer and no doubt explained what was expected of him and Guthrie seems from all accounts to have acted like a spoilt child. A professional player would simply knuckle down in training and show how good he was and wait for his chance. If Guthrie had done this and not mouthed off last time he would probably be a regular starter now.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Dec 2012 10:53

Royal Lady How did we get to this situation in the first place? By signing someone who McD obviously already knew did not fit "our style of play" i.e. not a hoofer. :roll: The buck stops with McD I'm afraid. Much as it pains me to say it.

Does make you wonder a bit doesn't it sometimes. Reading's style of play is direct, there isn't anything wrong with that to an extent and you see sides like West Ham and Stoke be effective with it in the Premier League, because they sign players to work in their system, the players might change but their methods won't. Carroll, Crouch, even their midfielders likes Nolan, Noble, Whelan, Walters they're all busy types of players get around the pitch work hard. They get it wide and they play aggressive attacking football and play off a big powerful striker like the two mentioned but also Carlton Cole or Kenwyne Jones.

They wouldn't sign a Guthrie or a Pogrebnyak, so why would Reading break the bank wage wise to sign 2 players completely incapable of fitting into the way they want to do things? 2 'touch' players that like the ball to feet to bring others in. Why not sign a Kevin Davies or try and get Jones from Stoke or Cole from West Ham someone of that type where you can chuck it long at them and he can hold it up and bring the wingers into play. Why not sign a Reo Coker or someone similar who puts tackles in gives you all out energy and commitment rather than a more luxury player like Guthrie? Especially one who has previous in terms of off the field stuff.

Nothing Reading has done this season makes any sense to be honest, the transfer window was a disaster for them. Didnt' improve the first XI at all just added bodies to a weak squad and now they look all at sea. January will come too late so it'll be about trying to get a few of these off the wage bill and rebuild for next season.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2012 10:56

andrew1957 I just cannot believe that anyone feels they have the right to shoot down Brian over this.

Are you at training every day. Do you know what Guthrie has or has not said? The truth is none of us know what has gone on - so we are in no position to judge.

However, at the end of the day Brian met with Guthrie last summer and no doubt explained what was expected of him and Guthrie seems from all accounts to have acted like a spoilt child. A professional player would simply knuckle down in training and show how good he was and wait for his chance. If Guthrie had done this and not mouthed off last time he would probably be a regular starter now.

So for the sake of an ego, we're not playing our best starting 11 - he can be chastised in other ways rather than dropping him. Fining him etc - making him train on his own, if he's that much of a bad apple - but I don't think he is. I think he spoke out because he was pissed off at not being given a fair chance and now it's all come home to roose for McD. He's lost his way on the pitch and now he appears to have lost half the dressing room - if he can come back from both those things, it'll be a bigger comeback than Lazarus. :roll:

They've both said their piece, he said Guthrie text him to apologise - (I presume he meant while he was up in Sunderland) - can't he just give the poor bloke a chance? At least Guthrie is passionate about wanting to play - which is more than can be said for some of the players currently holding down a place in the team.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:57

i really cant tbf.
treated badly my oxf*rd arse

players play, players get dropped, its down to the manager.
you work hard for the group, and when you get your opportunity to take them, and get back into the team.

he was dropped, mainly due to the fact he was making our team worse, despite his mythical super footballing abilities.
when he was dropped we started to tighten up a bit, got some points on the board and our performances were better.
he has a paddy on twitter and daftly criticises the manager. and is rightly punished. he then gets injured, and when he starts working ghis way back to fitness he gets back in the match day squad straight away. but hes only played 45 minutes. so the manager decides hes not fit "enough" to start yet. and he has another paddy and refuses to play.

i cat see anything in that that brian has done that is wrong, or that i wouldnt have done.
alex ferguson would have probably taken his oxf*rd head off and thrown him out by now, so i have no idea why youre bringing him up

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 10:59

They've both said their piece, he said Guthrie text him to apologise - (I presume he meant while he was up in Sunderland) - can't he just give the poor bloke a chance?

gave him anther chance last night. refused to play.

So for the sake of an ego, we're not playing our best starting 11

youre right. the issue is 100% ego here
but it aint brians

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Dec 2012 11:03

2 starts.

2 starts. Then frozen out.

Fair my arse.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Dec 2012 11:05

Supporting Guthrie over this.

Been frozen out when clearly we are absolute shit in centre mid.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 11:05

he started more than two games you divot

464 posts