HNA approval/disapproval of NA

418 posts

how long should we keep nigel adkins as manager?

get rid of now, his tactics are weak and we can do better
16%
give him till the end of december, then we will see where we are
4%
give him time to make signings in january and we will assess in march
6%
give him till the end of the season, he deserves a full season to show what he can do
44%
i am currently happy with our position in the table and the quality of football we are playing. this shouldnt be a discussion
20%
other
9%

Total votes: 232
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: HNA approval/disapproval of NA

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2013 18:03

So we've not lost a single game after taking the lead? That's not a bad record.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Dec 2013 18:13

Hoop Blah So we've not lost a single game after taking the lead? That's not a bad record.

You can thank the post at Nottingham Forrest for that.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Dec 2013 18:20

floyd__streete Anyway, here's one for you all:

If there was such a desire to 'improve' the playing style for purposes of potential longevity in the top flight (some plausible logic at play here), then could we have not given Brian a season in the Champ with the brief of making a top 6 side play a more possession-based game, instead of wasting goodness knows how many 10s of thousands paying him off :?: Adkins apologists asking for him to be given time is an opinion that holds some sway.....so why couldn't Brian have been given that time to achieve a similar objective :?:

Can't disagree with that. But then this is harking back to what I find a tired Versus argument. Regardless of who one prefers, the argument remains that changing the system could be beneficial in the long run, and that fans should really give whoever is in charge, time.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Dec 2013 18:25

P!ssed Off
Occasions where points have been won this season from a losing position:
3rd August Reading 2 - 1 Ispwich. 3 points gained.
10th August Bolton 1 - 1 Reading. 1 point gained.

Total: 4 points

Occasions where points have been lost from a winning position:
17th August Reading 3 - 3 Watford. 2 points lost.
1st October Barnsley 1 - 1 Reading. 2 points lost.
26th October Reading 1 - 1 Millwall. 2 points lost.
9th Novemer Reading 1 - 1 QPR. 2 points lost.

Total: 8 points

There's your resolve.

Fine, but we haven't lost a game we've been ahead in and your post completely ignores the point that togetherness is something which takes time to develop.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Dec 2013 18:41

Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off
Occasions where points have been won this season from a losing position:
3rd August Reading 2 - 1 Ispwich. 3 points gained.
10th August Bolton 1 - 1 Reading. 1 point gained.

Total: 4 points

Occasions where points have been lost from a winning position:
17th August Reading 3 - 3 Watford. 2 points lost.
1st October Barnsley 1 - 1 Reading. 2 points lost.
26th October Reading 1 - 1 Millwall. 2 points lost.
9th November Reading 1 - 1 QPR. 2 points lost.

Total: 8 points

There's your resolve.

Fine, but we haven't lost a game we've been ahead in and your post completely ignores the point that togetherness is something which takes time to develop.

Post was in reply to "I think we have shown resolve to pull back scores on occasion." Which may well be true but it hasn't happened in the last 18 games all competitions, and we've had more than a few opportunities.
What will or won't happen in the future is irrelevant.

Also, 8 lost points from a winning position is still 8 lost points from a winning position, whether it's made up of 2 losses and a draw or 4 draws.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 10 Dec 2013 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Dec 2013 18:43

Extended-Phenotype Fine, but we haven't lost a game we've been ahead in and your post completely ignores the point that togetherness is something which takes time to develop.

YEAH WELL WE HAVEN'T RECOVERED TO OBTAIN SO MUCH AS A POINT FROM A GAME WE'VE BEEN BEHIND IN SINCE AUGUST EITHER
SO YOU F*CKING WELL APOLOGISE :!:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2013 19:30

floyd__streete
Victor Meldrew What is this so-called "new system"?
9 months in or however long it is I don't see much change whereas when McGhee came in it was about 9 days.
I think the idea that we are playing a much-changed passing game is a myth.

McGhee's Reading utterly sucked initially and barely won back-to-back games for 18 months. The difference between MM and NA being that MM was a novice manager who had a miniscule budget :!:

Anyway, here's one for you all:

If there was such a desire to 'improve' the playing style for purposes of potential longevity in the top flight (some plausible logic at play here), then could we have not given Brian a season in the Champ with the brief of making a top 6 side play a more possession-based game, instead of wasting goodness knows how many 10s of thousands paying him off :?: Adkins apologists asking for him to be given time is an opinion that holds some sway.....so why couldn't Brian have been given that time to achieve a similar objective :?:

Reasonable question and I think many of us were a liitle surprised to see hin survive december and get the boot in march?

But we're not talking a new manager here. We're talking someone who had been at the club for years. He knew what he had when he went up and he should have known what he needed to do. He failed to do it well, maybe because of reso I rces and then failed to get the best out of his squad. Once you lose it in that way it's hard to recover. Even the great sir steve showed us that.

We could have stuck with brian. It was at best maybe 50-50 but we didn't. We got the new guy in. So we really need to give him a fair crack. And as long as we're above mid table thats until at leat november next year

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Dec 2013 19:55

Fair enough Ian.

Merry Christmas :!:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2013 19:59

floyd__streete Fair enough Ian.

Merry Xmas Floyd. Spotted you on Saturday, but you were in mid-rant and I was trying to find someone, so I didn't come say hello. Apologies for my rudeness.

Hope you're at least enjoying having something to complain about. :D

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 11 Dec 2013 09:10

Ian Royal
floyd__streete Fair enough Ian.

Merry Xmas Floyd. Spotted you on Saturday, but you were in mid-rant and I was trying to find someone, so I didn't come say hello. Apologies for my rudeness.

Hope you're at least enjoying having something to complain about. :D

When is Floyd not in mid-rant :?: :!: :wink:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Dec 2013 12:23

P!ssed Off
Post was in reply to "I think we have shown resolve to pull back scores on occasion." Which may well be true but it hasn't happened in the last 18 games all competitions, and we've had more than a few opportunities.

Oh, I see - you only wanted to address half the point, rather than all of it. Gotcha.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Dec 2013 12:53

Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off

Oh, I see - you only wanted to address half the point, rather than all of it. Gotcha.

How the oxf*rd does one address "when it clicks, we will improve"?
It is vague, meaningless nonsense, that cannot be disproved or proved, therefore I decided not to waste my time discussing when, or if, we might 'click'.
HTH.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Dec 2013 13:33

P!ssed Off
Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off

It is vague, meaningless nonsense, that cannot be disproved or proved, therefore I decided not to waste my time discussing when, or if, we might 'click'.
HTH.

Deep breath, mate. It's not meaningless to suggest stuff needs time and it could be said that making sweeping and crushing evaluations early doors is what is truly meaningless.

DCITH

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 11 Dec 2013 13:39

Extended-Phenotype it could be said that making sweeping and crushing evaluations early doors is what is truly meaningless

Shit. The Team Board is fucked then!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Dec 2013 14:08

Extended-Phenotype
P!ssed Off
Extended-Phenotype Oh, I see - you only wanted to address half the point, rather than all of it. Gotcha.

HTH.

Deep breath, mate. It's not meaningless to suggest stuff needs time and it could be said that making sweeping and crushing evaluations early doors is what is truly meaningless.

DCITH

Listen, if you want to make vague predictions for the future that lack any real substance then that's fine.
But don't be surprised when I don't feel the urge to debate such predictions.

I've got coursework to do, so if you require any more "oh no it won't","oh yes it will" pantomime, I suggest you go back to CC.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Dec 2013 14:52

Seek help, mate.

Not making any predictions. Just saying it takes time for a team to click and perhaps its a bit early to panic.

Cheers,

Ep

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Dec 2013 15:02

Hoop Blah So we've not lost a single game after taking the lead? That's not a bad record.

It's a nonsense statistic though, isn't it?

What does it really mean? We've not conceded two goals in less than 90 mins when we're already a goal up. Yeah amazing.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 11 Dec 2013 15:17

All this small talk is very endearing, but fails to address the core issue: Adkins is a pcunt

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Dec 2013 15:23

Maguire

It's a nonsense statistic though, isn't it?

What does it really mean? We've not conceded two goals in less than 90 mins when we're already a goal up. Yeah amazing.

Only if it's pretty much the same situation for everyone. If it sets us apart it certainly has some meaning.

I cna certainly think of games from last season that would have prevented that stat.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Dec 2013 15:30

Cureton's Volley All this small talk is very endearing, but fails to address the core issue: Adkins is a pcunt

So are most managers, at least Adkins has four promotions under his belt for a relatively young manager. The guy knows what he's doing, even if his players don't know what they should be doing.

418 posts