Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

355 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

by Snowball » 08 Jan 2014 21:01

RoyalBlue

But he doesn't get goals if the team isn't creating chances does he? END

What's more, when he's not scoring goals he offers considerably less to the team than several other alternatives. Both McDermott and Adkins appeared to think that way.

He merely scores more goals than any other player in the side
DESPITE being on the field less and demotivated.

When he doesn't play we barely make a chance
so when we DO make chances we need a true finisher
and that's ALF

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2014 22:33

RoyalBlue
Mr Angry I can think of at least 5 Reading strikers who would have buried that chance; Kitson, Butler, Quinn, Senior and Dixon.

Add Morley too.

Every single striker, no matter the quality, will miss a sitter occasionally. And the less regularly they are playing, the more likely they are to do it.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 10 Jan 2014 12:13

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue
Mr Angry I can think of at least 5 Reading strikers who would have buried that chance; Kitson, Butler, Quinn, Senior and Dixon.

Add Morley too.

Every single striker, no matter the quality, will miss a sitter occasionally. And the less regularly they are playing, the more likely they are to do it.

And as Big Foot said, it wasnt even a sitter. *smh* at anybody who believes that any other striker was guaranteed to score there.
The fact that we are digging up a gif on Pog from more than a year ago - sums up his contribution since then.

If McDermott ends up with Kebe and Le Fondre by the end of January, then we better do something bloody spectacular in the next few weeks. Not saying its going to happen, but I dont remember such a worse case scenario being so possible before.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 10 Jan 2014 12:28

So has anyone come knocking for Alfie?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Jan 2014 12:38

Zana Badawi The fact that we are digging up a gif on Pog from more than a year ago - sums up his contribution since then.

Bullsh*t. He's clearly been one of, if not our best player for the last few months.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 10 Jan 2014 12:54

Pog has alot more to his game than ALF and that has shown.

Any old nobody can score penalties

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 10 Jan 2014 13:05

Royal Ginger
Zana Badawi The fact that we are digging up a gif on Pog from more than a year ago - sums up his contribution since then.

Bullsh*t. He's clearly been one of, if not our best player for the last few months.

But are gifs of him scoring so short on the ground that we keep having to refer to the Chelsea gif?
(I appreciate its a header from some way out so is relevant in this case, but there are so many cases where its been pulled out where it has been irrelevant)

He was mince last year when we needed him. I simply dont like sirikers that dont shoot.
All he seems to have added this year is some graft - that's not his role is it?

Esteban

by Esteban » 10 Jan 2014 13:30

Zana Badawi
Royal Ginger

But are gifs of him scoring so short on the ground that we keep having to refer to the Chelsea gif?
(I appreciate its a header from some way out so is relevant in this case, but there are so many cases where its been pulled out where it has been irrelevant)

He was mince last year when we needed him. I simply dont like sirikers that dont shoot.

Good strikers at this level and above try to create chances for themselves, if the rest of the team can't do it for them. Pogrebnyak and Sharp do, even Blackman and HRK to a certain extent. But ALF doesn't seem to do that, he's just on the defender's shoulder, waiting for a through ball or a mistake. There aren't really any out and out goalscorers anymore, most strikers have more to their game.

He's a fantastic finisher, but I agree with what Adkins insinuated, he needs to do more to help himself on the pitch. Hope we can keep hold of him though.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2014 13:53

Zana Badawi If McDermott ends up with Kebe and Le Fondre by the end of January, then we better do something bloody spectacular in the next few weeks. Not saying its going to happen, but I dont remember such a worse case scenario being so possible before.

Why would Le Fondre leave a manager who doesn't rate him enough to start him, to join a manager who didn't rate him enough to start him?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2014 14:44

Snowball
RoyalBlue

But he doesn't get goals if the team isn't creating chances does he? END

What's more, when he's not scoring goals he offers considerably less to the team than several other alternatives. Both McDermott and Adkins appeared to think that way.

He merely scores more goals than any other player in the side
DESPITE being on the field less and demotivated.

When he doesn't play we barely make a chance
so when we DO make chances we need a true finisher
and that's ALF

Like he proved against Brighton?!

A good striker but one that is overrated by himself and his most ardent supporters.

Zana Badawi
Royal Ginger

Pog doesn't shoot? Graft isn't part of a strikers role? :shock: Which footballing world are you in?

As for the gif, I suspect it was selected to show how it is possible to score from that 'distance', particularly as it wasn't a completely dissimilar opportunity (probably a bit harder).

Anyway, I doubt anyone would be focussing on these missed opportunities if ALF hadn't set himself up with his comments to Dellor the previous week.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 10 Jan 2014 15:00

Pepe the Horseman
Zana Badawi If McDermott ends up with Kebe and Le Fondre by the end of January, then we better do something bloody spectacular in the next few weeks. Not saying its going to happen, but I dont remember such a worse case scenario being so possible before.

Why would Le Fondre leave a manager who doesn't rate him enough to start him, to join a manager who didn't rate him enough to start him?

Ask Billy Sharp.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2014 15:18

I did question that before we got Sharp, but people said it wasn't Nige's decision to get rid of him.

THE LOYAL ROYAL

by THE LOYAL ROYAL » 10 Jan 2014 16:26

SPARTA Interesting interview with BBCRB, hopefully will be online soon.

To sum it up:

I'm paid to play football and I'm not doing that.
I haven't played for two months.
Everyone's had a go up front except me.
If an offer comes in I would have to look at it.

HE WON'T GO

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2014 16:27

GOOD FIRST POST AND USERNAME

THE LOYAL ROYAL

by THE LOYAL ROYAL » 10 Jan 2014 16:28

HE WON'T GO : )

THE LOYAL ROYAL

by THE LOYAL ROYAL » 10 Jan 2014 16:29

Extended-Phenotype GOOD FIRST POST AND USERNAME

WHO ME?????

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2014 16:31

R U FIT

CYBER?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jan 2014 16:57

Note to newbie - try pressing the caps lock key again....

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 10 Jan 2014 17:07

I agree AlF is a luxury for a team that creates few chances.

But - sorry if this is a radical suggestion - maybe we should try to set up the team to create some more chances. Personally, when you have a finisher who has been proven to be as good as ALF, I would want to organise the team around exploiting that.

I suspect he'll leave, but I for one will always appreciate his contribution. Especially the goals that put Southampton to the sword in the run-in to promotion (I suspect Adkins feels differently about those two...)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Jan 2014 17:59

Don't think he's going anywhere, he's getting in on the no hair cut thing for charity wig a cople of other players. I know that's not exactly concrete, but i doubt he'd get involved if he was 1 foot out of the door.

355 posts