BFTG Wolves

225 posts
RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wolves

by RoyalJames101 » 08 Feb 2016 13:14

No Fixed Abode LOL @ there 'being' over 17,000 there. Not a chance.

:| looked like it to me.

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 08 Feb 2016 13:36

John Madejski's Wallet
Chelsea/Royal
John Madejski's Wallet ^^ 'greed

Especially on never thinking i'd ever say it either

You've lost me there fella...... :roll:

Sorry.... I agree that it was crying out for Piazon. And mentioned to my mate at the time that "never though i'd say this but...."

Ahhhhh.

I like Kermogant by the way, he can obviously play a bit and could help Vydra out.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Feb 2016 13:45

I believe that all managers should basically get a year to do whatever they feel is right without interference from the owners/fans. I don't see the point in micro-analyzing how a team is performing after 10 games. Let them get on with the job of making changes to the club and building for the future.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Feb 2016 13:55

Ian Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
Forbury Lion To the Nobber who reported the post above to the moderators, please make use of the ignore button if you disagree with someones views, You can't grass someone up just for having a different view.

:?: :?: So that's where the post went!!

Can you get Graham to sort out these stupid new buttons? That was supposed to be a simple reply with quote. I did wonder why it didn't appear each time i tried to send. Thought there just a bit of a tech-paddy going on

So yeah, a bit lame snitching yourself rather that asking me why you got a random snitch that made no sense :| .....and that was posted openly on the thread :|

For a second i thought that was me because i did exactly the same. Just obviously noticed sooner and hit back.

Forbes has made himself look a twunt there.
It wasn't either of you, unless one of you has a different username.

My mistake was identifying this as an idiot snitching instead of an idiot pressing the wrong button and for the record - many of the snitches make no sense.

I wouldn't normally bother but this new board flashes them when a moderator logs in making them harder to ignore

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Feb 2016 14:48

That one you quoted as "unnamed snitch" was mine though. how very confusing

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2016 18:01

RoyalJames101

Yep, looked about right.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2016 18:02

Elm Park Kid I believe that all managers should basically get a year to do whatever they feel is right without interference from the owners/fans. I don't see the point in micro-analyzing how a team is performing after 10 games. Let them get on with the job of making changes to the club and building for the future.

This kind of patient, rational response is not welcome.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Feb 2016 20:53

Elm Park Kid I believe that all managers should basically get a year to do whatever they feel is right without interference from the owners/fans. I don't see the point in micro-analyzing how a team is performing after 10 games. Let them get on with the job of making changes to the club and building for the future.

At least a year. As fans we need to back the team as well. Works both ways.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 08 Feb 2016 21:01

Lower West

It's hard to back a duffer who is dragging us down, but I see your point ..

prfoster

by prfoster » 08 Feb 2016 21:52

OLLIE KEARNS
Maneki Neko
prfoster
concerned fan who pays his money and wishes the board had not taken easy option of reappointing a coach with outdated methods.

tbf, you actually know fcuk all about both his methods, and their levels of outdatedness

You summed it up far better than I did MN :D

wow and you know best then , better coaches than ours getting sacked today

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Feb 2016 22:32

Longhorn1970
Lower West

It's hard to back a duffer who is dragging us down, but I see your point ..

I back every manager. Takes time to build a side. That's the beauty of football. Money hasn't made the players better. If anything many are worse.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2016 06:56

prfoster
OLLIE KEARNS
Maneki Neko
tbf, you actually know fcuk all about both his methods, and their levels of outdatedness

Think you are confusing coaches and managers. Clement may have been an excellent coach at top clubs but having been given a huge amount of money and a decent amount of time his record shows he's achieved far less than Brian as a manager....

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Feb 2016 10:01

prfoster
OLLIE KEARNS
Maneki Neko

And how many times has Paul Clement taken a team into the Premier League then?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Feb 2016 10:16

I haven't been following HNA for the past few days. I did listen to a bit of Adie Williams and Dellor in the car on the way back from the Wolves game and was a bit surprised by all the negativity. I don't know what the heck it is that Dellor expects or that Reading fans are hoping for. Remember the song. We're not Real Madrid, We're not Barcelona, We are Reading football club, Madejski is our owner.

Our fans and Dellor just need to calm down and get real. The performance against Wolves was very good. It was a hard fought, battling game, war of attrition. Typical blood and thunder Championship encounter. The weather conditions were awful. Wolves as they do regularly came and parked the bus. Just one man up front and a packed midfield. It was always going to be a tough match. It was similar to the game up at Molineux on boxing day. We couldn't find a way through then either. If anyone thinks you can just rock up at a championship game and turn teams over 4-0 every week, you really need to get your head tested. This is a tough division.

McDermott is slowly finding the winning formula. He is addressing our major vulnerability which has been with us all season but was first brutally exposed in devastating fashion by Fulham at the Cottage, which has been our soft underbelly and inability to defend when teams really turn the screw on us as Fulham did that afternoon.

Clarke tried to find the balance between defence and attack after our defensive weakness came to light at the Cottage but just wasn't able to. McDermott understands that success is a built on a solid defensive foundation. So has sacrificed a little bit on the attacking side to shore up our defensive game. On that front he is succeeding. Now he has to find the difference that will win us matches. I am certain McDermott will get it right. He is an excellent manager. You all just need to calm down and let him get on with the job. He needs two or three more transfer windows. He is a manager that makes progress over time. That is what happened before. There was no period when he was taking the club backwards. We weren't good enough for the Premier League unfortunately. But if he had enough time and wasn't shoved out the door then we would most likley be in the Premier League right now via perhaps one or two seasons in the championship.

If our problem is scoring goals. Is the solution to sack the manager? or to buy a new striker?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Feb 2016 13:26

Some of the opinions on this thread, while entirely valid as an opinion, are entirely laughable at the same time. Change and improvement don't necessarily correlate immediately, as we're seeing right now. I see the current level of performance as a plateau when compared to that of Clarke, and certainly an improvement on that served up by Adkins in his last half season. The fact of the matter is time and patience is require but it seems some simply aren't willing to allow that. A sad indictment of the "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW" attitude that pervades football from boardrooms to stands. Well I hope the impatient numbskulls read this and weep - in the last 50 years Reading FC has been promoted just eight times, under seven different managers. Only one manager in that time has been instantly successful, achieving promotion at the end of their season of appointment - Ian Branfoot. But regardless of that fact, every manager has been given the time and patience to build a side capable of challenging at the top end of their respective division:-

Charlie Hurley - appointed January 1972, promoted May 1976 - time between appointment and promotion 4 yrs 6 mths.
Maurice Evans - appointed February 1977, promoted May 1979 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 4 mths.
Ian Branfoot - appointed January 1984, promoted May 1984 and May 1986 - time between appointment and promotion 4 mths and 2 yrs 4 mths (anomaly here is Branfoot obviously took over a good side already well placed from Maurice Evans unlike every other manager with the exception of, possibly, Steve Coppell)
Mark McGhee - appointed May 1991, promoted May 1994 - time between appointment and promotion 3 yrs.
Alan Pardew - appointed September 1999, promoted April 2002 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 9 mths.
Steve Coppell - appointed October 2003, promoted April 2006 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 6 mths.
Brian McDermott - appointed December 2009, promoted April 2012 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 4 mths.

Taking the first Ian Branfoot anomaly out (who was also afforded the time to build a side capable of challenging at the top of D3 on the back of much chagrin of the club selling Kerry Dixon to Chelsea) the average length of time afforded to a manager in getting promoted is approximately 2 yrs 10 mths. On that basis alone I completely fail to see why Brian McDermott should not be afforded at least that amount of time once again by supporters.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Feb 2016 13:37

^like

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2016 13:59

handbags_harris Taking the first Ian Branfoot anomaly out (who was also afforded the time to build a side capable of challenging at the top of D3 on the back of much chagrin of the club selling Kerry Dixon to Chelsea) the average length of time afforded to a manager in getting promoted is approximately 2 yrs 10 mths. On that basis alone I completely fail to see why Brian McDermott should not be afforded at least that amount of time once again by supporters.

You're right but that'll never happen in the modern game. He'll be replaced at the end of the season if he doesn't get to the quarters of the cup and finish in the top half, and be replaced by Uwe Rosler

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 09 Feb 2016 13:59

handbags_harris Some of the opinions on this thread, while entirely valid as an opinion, are entirely laughable at the same time. Change and improvement don't necessarily correlate immediately, as we're seeing right now. I see the current level of performance as a plateau when compared to that of Clarke, and certainly an improvement on that served up by Adkins in his last half season. The fact of the matter is time and patience is require but it seems some simply aren't willing to allow that. A sad indictment of the "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW" attitude that pervades football from boardrooms to stands. Well I hope the impatient numbskulls read this and weep - in the last 50 years Reading FC has been promoted just eight times, under seven different managers. Only one manager in that time has been instantly successful, achieving promotion at the end of their season of appointment - Ian Branfoot. But regardless of that fact, every manager has been given the time and patience to build a side capable of challenging at the top end of their respective division:-

Charlie Hurley - appointed January 1972, promoted May 1976 - time between appointment and promotion 4 yrs 6 mths.
Maurice Evans - appointed February 1977, promoted May 1979 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 4 mths.
Ian Branfoot - appointed January 1984, promoted May 1984 and May 1986 - time between appointment and promotion 4 mths and 2 yrs 4 mths (anomaly here is Branfoot obviously took over a good side already well placed from Maurice Evans unlike every other manager with the exception of, possibly, Steve Coppell)
Mark McGhee - appointed May 1991, promoted May 1994 - time between appointment and promotion 3 yrs.
Alan Pardew - appointed September 1999, promoted April 2002 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 9 mths.
Steve Coppell - appointed October 2003, promoted April 2006 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 6 mths.
Brian McDermott - appointed December 2009, promoted April 2012 - time between appointment and promotion 2 yrs 4 mths.

Taking the first Ian Branfoot anomaly out (who was also afforded the time to build a side capable of challenging at the top of D3 on the back of much chagrin of the club selling Kerry Dixon to Chelsea) the average length of time afforded to a manager in getting promoted is approximately 2 yrs 10 mths. On that basis alone I completely fail to see why Brian McDermott should not be afforded at least that amount of time once again by supporters.

Yes

With an obvious 'but .... '

But also that McD is nowhere this either.

So

Yes.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Feb 2016 14:32

handbags_harris Some of the opinions on this thread, while entirely valid as an opinion, are entirely laughable at the same time. Change and improvement don't necessarily correlate immediately, as we're seeing right now. I see the current level of performance as a plateau when compared to that of Clarke, and certainly an improvement on that served up by Adkins in his last half season. The fact of the matter is time and patience is require but it seems some simply aren't willing to allow that. A sad indictment of the "I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW" attitude that pervades football from boardrooms to stands. Well I hope the impatient numbskulls read this and weep - in the last 50 years Reading FC has been promoted just eight times, under seven different managers. Only one manager in that time has been instantly successful, achieving promotion at the end of their season of appointment - Ian Branfoot. But regardless of that fact, every manager has been given the time and patience to build a side capable of challenging at the top end of their respective division:-

Thanks for putting things in perspective. I just don't know what is wrong with Reading fans these days. They are losing the plot.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Feb 2016 18:07

Ian Royal
RoyalJames101

Yep, looked about right.

You also said it was a decent game. :lol:

225 posts