The Weakest Link costs us again

222 posts
Don Finch

by Don Finch » 17 Jan 2007 12:46

rotherwick_royal Let me be the first to point out the perfect keeper doesn't exist.

Apologies, I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I couldn't help myself. I should have added one of these maybe :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 14:16

He's done brilliantly for us over the last few years, but this season his handling has deteriorated, he's too slow, gets easily beaten in the air and doesn't distribute it well enough. We need to bring someone in either now or at the end of the season.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 17 Jan 2007 14:56

Royalee He's done brilliantly for us over the last few years, but this season his handling has deteriorated, he's too slow, gets easily beaten in the air and doesn't distribute it well enough. We need to bring someone in either now or at the end of the season.

I think i'd agree with those sentiments on the whole, but i'd wait until the end of the season before bringing anyone new in so as not to disrupt the defensive unit.

Keepers get better with age and do peak lsater than most other positions, but then once they've peaked they deterioate rapidly, just like centre backs. Sadly I think it's clear we've started to see this in Hahnemann. His mistake on Sunday was not a one off ut has been happening all season. Some people have argued that he is a 'legend' and that he was part of our 'all-conquering side' last year as though it gives him some devine right to stay in the side, however there is NO place for sentiment in football.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 14:59

ScottishRoyal
Royalee He's done brilliantly for us over the last few years, but this season his handling has deteriorated, he's too slow, gets easily beaten in the air and doesn't distribute it well enough. We need to bring someone in either now or at the end of the season.

I think i'd agree with those sentiments on the whole, but i'd wait until the end of the season before bringing anyone new in so as not to disrupt the defensive unit.

Keepers get better with age and do peak lsater than most other positions, but then once they've peaked they deterioate rapidly, just like centre backs. Sadly I think it's clear we've started to see this in Hahnemann. His mistake on Sunday was not a one off ut has been happening all season. Some people have argued that he is a 'legend' and that he was part of our 'all-conquering side' last year as though it gives him some devine right to stay in the side, however there is NO place for sentiment in football.

Spot on.

1947royal

by 1947royal » 17 Jan 2007 15:06

With respect Boston Royal,you missed out another of MH's boobs.As with Everton's goal on Saturday I recall he charged out of his goal like a lunatic for Drogbas header at the Bridge.He just never seems to raise his arms above his head.Haviing said that, he has been a 'saviour' on many occasions.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jan 2007 15:09

1947royal With respect Boston Royal,you missed out another of MH's boobs.As with Everton's goal on Saturday I recall he charged out of his goal like a lunatic for Drogbas header at the Bridge.He just never seems to raise his arms above his head.Haviing said that, he has been a 'saviour' on many occasions.

Hey, Hahnemann would have got at that ball if Drogba didn't have his hand on Hahnemann's shirt.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2007 15:10

SpaceCruiser
1947royal With respect Boston Royal,you missed out another of MH's boobs.As with Everton's goal on Saturday I recall he charged out of his goal like a lunatic for Drogbas header at the Bridge.He just never seems to raise his arms above his head.Haviing said that, he has been a 'saviour' on many occasions.

Hey, Hahnemann would have got at that ball if Drogba didn't have his hand on Hahnemann's shirt.

The description sounds more like the 2nd goal.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jan 2007 15:12

Stranded
SpaceCruiser

The description sounds more like the 2nd goal.

I blamed Sonko for the 2nd one, he was ball-watching and backtracking without checking to see where Drogba was. If he had stuck more closely to Drogba, Drogba would never have had that free header.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 15:17

SpaceCruiser

He still should've been big and strong enough to at least get something on the ball though for that first goal, although he was obviously being fouled.

1947royal

by 1947royal » 17 Jan 2007 15:19

Fair point about the first goal, but I was referring to the second. Alsoo fair point about Sonko's error. My real concern is the fact that does't use his height or long arms .

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Jan 2007 15:59

Gordons Cumming What a stupid thread.

I agree, but it still continues at break neck rate.......................

Corky341

by Corky341 » 17 Jan 2007 16:31

1947royal . My real concern is the fact that does't use his height or long arms .

Perhaps he could slot in with the London Irish forwards when they practise their lineouts now and again. NO goalkeeper should be beaten in a straight jump up should they? The Exiles jumpers may encourage some aggression and dominance in HIS area too.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 17 Jan 2007 17:09

Volvicanus The poorest for me is Lita. I just can't stand him. I know that some people love him, but he's too slow on the ball, his passes are not fast or skillful enough, he thinks he's Ronaldo and loses the ball quite a lot that way.

He does look a little bit lazy, doesn't he (Ronaldo in the World Cup?).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Jan 2007 19:56

Does anyone else think Marcus is looking a bit heavier than he used to?

IIRC a couple of seasons back the OS ran a story about how he had been put on a weight loss regime and was looking and performing a lot better for it.

Perhaps he's been eating a few too many of Amanda's brownies recently?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Jan 2007 22:00

Reading EP today, I gathered that Marcus is his own greatest critic and was not happy himself with his role in the Everton goal. We must trust him to work on his game, as I still feel that he is one of the better Premiership goalkeepers. Adam Federici will keep him on his toes!

royals pete

by royals pete » 17 Jan 2007 22:25

Wonder what Shay Given feels like tonight !!!! 1...2...3...4...5...

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 17 Jan 2007 22:51

royals pete Wonder what Shay Given feels like tonight !!!! 1...2...3...4...5...

Sick, Pete!

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 17 Jan 2007 22:52

royals pete Wonder what Shay Given feels like tonight !!!! 1...2...3...4...5...

The difference is he wasn't at fault for any of them, Marcus was at fault for Evertons goal Sunday.

:roll:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Jan 2007 23:01

I wonder what it must be like being a keeper....

Get a clean sheet, no-one really praises you.
Be part of one of the best defensive records and you get little praise.
At most you can save a penalty or make an amazing save and people will chant your name for the next 30 seconds.

But god forbid you, like any other human being, make a mistake and you're suddenly in for abuse.

By its very nature goalkeeping gets you little thanks but plenty of abuse when things go wrong.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Jan 2007 23:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup I wonder what it must be like being a keeper....

Get a clean sheet, no-one really praises you.
Be part of one of the best defensive records and you get little praise.
At most you can save a penalty or make an amazing save and people will chant your name for the next 30 seconds.

But god forbid you, like any other human being, make a mistake and you're suddenly in for abuse.

By its very nature goalkeeping gets you little thanks but plenty of abuse when things go wrong.

It is true, make a mistake as a keeper, it usually ends up as a goal.

222 posts