Sidwell Replacement - Who would you go for?

207 posts
Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 Apr 2007 14:47

From the times I have seen Jagielka, I think he would be great in hoops. Apart from that, Jason Koumas would do it for me. Whether he is in our price range is another matter. Both would be a non-starter if the Blunts stay up and the Baggies get promoted.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Apr 2007 18:30

Huntley & Palmer If only we could get someone like Boateng, I would be really chuffed

Boateng is rubbish........ He lazes around the pitch!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Apr 2007 18:36

holsgrove breaks a leg At the end of the day if Sidwell was contracted to Reading his price would be around the 4 million mark. Rightly or wrongly he is seen as Readings best performer and has shown his worth in his time here. If there ever was a time to replace a player 'like for like' in terms of the way he plays and how much his potential worth is then Sidwell is the case in point. We simply cant afford to ignore a replacement for him, and to get someone with the same stature may take the 3-4 million we could have got for him. Im not saying I dont rate Gunna but we cant be seen to be standing still on the transfer front if we do not replace our potential best player with someone of the same quality. I cant see us being able to afford anyone from the UK though i could be proved wrong- more likely we would be going down the Fae route.

Agree entirely.....

I am sure we will get someone from Europe......... Probably France....

We need the next Viera....... I hope McDermott and Dillon have a big enough network in the wider world to spot these players.

How about an Iranian Central Midfielder? Teymourian seems to be doing a good job at Bolton at the moment. I reckon these Iranians can cut it in the Premier League. I'm not sure who would be a good one though.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Apr 2007 09:23

Top Flight
Huntley & Palmer If only we could get someone like Boateng, I would be really chuffed

Boateng is rubbish........ He lazes around the pitch!

Along with Gilberto, he is one of the best ball winners in the Premiership

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 Apr 2007 09:26

What are the odds that Sidwell's replacement will be noone mentioned on this thread?

Interesting summer ahead

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Apr 2007 09:43

I think it will be someone not even from the English Leagues

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Apr 2007 11:13

If we are going for a "like for like" replacement for Sidwell as Coppell has supposedly stated then we're really looking at an energetic, mobile box to box player who can tackle and get ahead of the forwards when necessary. However these are attributes that best sum up Gunnarsson.

Personally i think we need to find a different type of midfielder for next season as recent months have shown that we are a bit one-dimensional and rely too much on our wingers providing crosses as our main outlet of creativity. When that gets stifled we tend to struggle.

As a realistic target, I like the look of Steven Davis at Villa. He can't get a game for them at the moment but although he's not the tallest physically he is combative and gets around the pitch. More importantly on last seasons displays he has more ability to create in the last third than our current options ( with the possible exception of the talented but very lightweight Oster ).

207 posts