Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

214 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 12:42

Katie Marsden [. I expect if they had Rooney, Tevez and Saha all on the pitch then things would have been very different in the last 30 minutes. The fact O'Shea had to be deployed as a make shift striker tells it's own story.

Of course we were missing Sonko, Lita, Convey and Little and our keeper was playing his first game back since breaking his hand. Clubs like Man United and Chelsea can NEVER claim that injuries affected their game. they have the funds to have almost endless world class cover for every position.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 13 Aug 2007 12:45

brendywendy
Garry Mann
Royal Lady The harsh reality for you Mr Mann is that you failed to score against a frankly, quite lacklustre Reading performance. That says more about the "great" Sir Alex and his players than it does about us.

It says much more about how lucky you were. If you think any different you are deluded.

I can understand you being happy with a point, but I'd be much more concerned about that performance.

gary mann=bitter manc

GM=Boddingtons, a pint thereof swiftly followed by a bunch of sour grapes.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 13 Aug 2007 12:51

Behindu
Katie Marsden [. I expect if they had Rooney, Tevez and Saha all on the pitch then things would have been very different in the last 30 minutes. The fact O'Shea had to be deployed as a make shift striker tells it's own story.

Of course we were missing Sonko, Lita, Convey and Little and our keeper was playing his first game back since breaking his hand. Clubs like Man United and Chelsea can NEVER claim that injuries affected their game. they have the funds to have almost endless world class cover for every position.

Injuries effect every side, no side has world class cover for every position. United and Chelsea only have 4 or 5 world class players in their starting line ups, so to claim they can afford world class third or fourth choice players yet again highlights your appalling understanding and knowledge of the game.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 13 Aug 2007 12:58

Garry Mann It's obviously differing views, United forums slating you and can't believe your luck while you all seem to think the plan to defend, and only let us have 23 shots, worked quite well. That's a shot every 4 minutes so I guess your defending was actually quite good.

Anyhow, at least it was only a handful of Reading fans that turned up to watch that bag of shite.

The handful of Reading fans were more than a match for the 73K Librarians!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 13:01

Katie Marsden
Behindu

Injuries effect every side, no side has world class cover for every position. United and Chelsea only have 4 or 5 world class players in their starting line ups, so to claim they can afford world class third or fourth choice players yet again highlights your appalling understanding and knowledge of the game.

Once again your reply highlights your appalling lack of conversational skills.
Given that there can only be 20 or so 'world class' players then you are of course correct in a purely technical and pedantic sense.
The point which would have been obvious to those of normal ability is that clubs such as United and Chelsea with their massive wealth can comfortably buy 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice players that are beyond the budget of the likes of us. To fail to have adequate forward cover either on the pitch or on the bench cannot be put down to 'bad luck with injuries'. It is bad planning or bad management. there are (in real terms) no excuses for infinitely wealthy teams to blame their failure to beat small clubs on an injury. Chelsea were unconvincing last season when they balmed defeats on injuries to defenders (sorry Jose, you screwed up by letting defdners go and not signing good replacements) and Man Utd are equally unconvincing if they blame yesterday on an injury.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 13 Aug 2007 13:09

Garry Mann It's obviously differing views, United forums slating you and can't believe your luck while you all seem to think the plan to defend, and only let us have 23 shots, worked quite well. That's a shot every 4 minutes so I guess your defending was actually quite good.

Anyhow, at least it was only a handful of Reading fans that turned up to watch that bag of shite.

Of those 23 shots on goal, how many of them were clear cut chances? I can think of 4. The rest were from outside the area and not clear cut.

If you think that Reading are the only team that will turn up at OT and play that way this season, then you're in for a shock.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 13 Aug 2007 13:14

Behindu
Katie Marsden
Behindu

Once again your reply highlights your appalling lack of conversational skills.
Given that there can only be 20 or so 'world class' players then you are of course correct in a purely technical and pedantic sense.
The point which would have been obvious to those of normal ability is that clubs such as United and Chelsea with their massive wealth can comfortably buy 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice players that are beyond the budget of the likes of us. To fail to have adequate forward cover either on the pitch or on the bench cannot be put down to 'bad luck with injuries'. It is bad planning or bad management. there are (in real terms) no excuses for infinitely wealthy teams to blame their failure to beat small clubs on an injury. Chelsea were unconvincing last season when they balmed defeats on injuries to defenders (sorry Jose, you screwed up by letting defdners go and not signing good replacements) and Man Utd are equally unconvincing if they blame yesterday on an injury.

It clearly played a part. Just like it will for us on Wednesday now we're missing two strikers. After Rooney went off they had 4 strikers all injured or unfit. That's no ones fault, just a bit of bad luck. I'd like to see us try and break down Wigan if they put 10 men behind the ball if we were missing Lita, Kitson, Doyle and Long. I'm sure then you'd be citing bad luck and not having ago at Coppell for failing to have adequate cover.

As I said it was a good defensive display but hardly heroic or classic as some people have suggested. I thought the defensive display in the 1-1 draw was far more impressive as United had Rooney, Saha, Scholes and Ronaldo all pushed up towards the end of that game.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 13 Aug 2007 13:16

Fundamentally, Chelsea showed the way to play against United in the FA Cup final. I think we took a leaf out of their book. Nullify United, and they have no backup plan really. We nullified them, and they had no backup plan.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 13 Aug 2007 13:23

handbags_harris Fundamentally, Chelsea showed the way to play against United in the FA Cup final. I think we took a leaf out of their book. Nullify United, and they have no backup plan really. We nullified them, and they had no backup plan.

Without any strikers it's hardly surprising they didn't have a back up plan.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 13:28

I'd like to see us try and break down Wigan if they put 10 men behind the ball if we were missing Lita, Kitson, Doyle and Long. I'm sure then you'd be citing bad luck and not having ago at Coppell for failing to have adequate cover.

Oddly, some have already suggested that we don't have enough cover there after missing only Kitson and Lita and there's been some talk of needing an extra option there.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 13 Aug 2007 13:30

Katie Marsden
handbags_harris Fundamentally, Chelsea showed the way to play against United in the FA Cup final. I think we took a leaf out of their book. Nullify United, and they have no backup plan really. We nullified them, and they had no backup plan.

We had no strikers either when Kitson was sent off for having the temerity of wearing a blue and white shirt, so 0-0 seems a fair return considering no had a striker on the field!!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Aug 2007 13:36

Katie Marsden

So remind us who scored all United's goals last season...

Seems to me that they had significant goal scoring power on the pitch, however that power was rendered impotent.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Aug 2007 14:17

Katie Marsden It clearly played a part. Just like it will for us on Wednesday now we're missing two strikers. After Rooney went off they had 4 strikers all injured or unfit. That's no ones fault, just a bit of bad luck. I'd like to see us try and break down Wigan if they put 10 men behind the ball if we were missing Lita, Kitson, Doyle and Long. I'm sure then you'd be citing bad luck and not having ago at Coppell for failing to have adequate cover.

As I said it was a good defensive display but hardly heroic or classic as some people have suggested. I thought the defensive display in the 1-1 draw was far more impressive as United had Rooney, Saha, Scholes and Ronaldo all pushed up towards the end of that game.

Except we don't claim to be a big club, with a big budget and the ability to take any player we want from anyone.

MUFC's dilemma smacks of small club mentality to me :wink:

TheMaraudingDog

Re: Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

by TheMaraudingDog » 12 May 2008 10:45

If only you'd have come and tried to get 3 points and not settle for 1.

214 posts