Little joining Pompey

423 posts
Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Little joining Pompey

by Gav » 20 Jun 2008 16:45

I'm sad to see him go, but strangely pleased for him.

An amazing player on the last legs of his career, who should have spent most of his career in the premier league anyway, but stayed loyal to Burnley when he could have pushed for a move if he'd really wanted to.

He deserves one more season in the sun.

Glen Little = the greatest RFC player I've ever seen.

allwite123

by allwite123 » 20 Jun 2008 16:45

I think i can sum up in two words how i feel - "Absolutly Gutted"

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 20 Jun 2008 16:46

Relax, one season in the premier league and then at 34 he'll still be able to cut it for us in division 1.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Jun 2008 16:47

RoyalBlue Just to add insult to injury, from the official Portsmouth site:

"If You Can't Beat Them........

Glen Little was sick of losing to Blues. But that's all changed now he's signed."

Trigger ps. There was nobody as skilful as Glen in the 94/95 team, don't worry.

Simon Osborn and that Polish bloke for starters?

Depends on your definition of skillful i suppose and you could certainly argue that Osborn and Dariusz were better passers of the ball but neither could do what Little did week in week out in beating players and delivering ammunition.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 16:48

I've never been so angry at a player who has left this club.

We pay his wages and for his surgery, then he oxf*rd off at the first oppurtunity.......cvnt.

Anyway, Kebe's pace will be useful in the CCC (whatever AP says) and im looking forward to seeing Henry get a chance.

No gurantee he would have got back to full fitness anyway.

Time for the club to move on.

hutch

by hutch » 20 Jun 2008 16:50

Good luck Glen. Would have been great if he stayed but who`s going to deny him one last hurrah in the prem?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jun 2008 16:50

Perhaps releasing John Oster was not such a smart move after all. Suggest SC gets on the phone quickly and sees if we can get him back.

At least we have Kebe - after all he always makes a positive contribution every time he plays -according to the OS when we bought him.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jun 2008 16:51

winchester_royal I've never been so angry at a player who has left this club.

We pay his wages and for his surgery, then he oxf*rd off at the first oppurtunity.......cvnt..

Oh come off it! The club didn't pay his wages and for his surgery out of charity/sympathy. Firstly they had contractual obligations and secondly they were trying to protect their investment. Just a shame they couldn't protect their investment (maybe for good reasons) by getting him signed up to a new contract earlier. Or maybe they thought at the time - 'he's **cked' , we don't want to have to keep paying out for him beyond the end of this season'.

Vision
RoyalBlue Just to add insult to injury, from the official Portsmouth site:

"If You Can't Beat Them........

Glen Little was sick of losing to Blues. But that's all changed now he's signed."

Trigger ps. There was nobody as skilful as Glen in the 94/95 team, don't worry.

Simon Osborn and that Polish bloke for starters?

Depends on your definition of skillful i suppose and you could certainly argue that Osborn and Dariusz were better passers of the ball but neither could do what Little did week in week out in beating players and delivering ammunition.

When it came to delivering ammunition, Osborn delivered enough to keep even George W's war effort going!!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 20 Jun 2008 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Jun 2008 16:52

andrew1957 Perhaps releasing John Oster was not such a smart move after all. Suggest SC gets on the phone quickly and sees if we can get him back.

At least we have Kebe - after all he always makes a positive contribution every time he plays -according to the OS when we bought him.

Why do your posts make me cry?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Jun 2008 16:52

From his interview on the Pompey site :

Clearly the winger is overjoyed to have made the short move to the South Coast

Ask him why, and he is happy to reel off a list of reasons ; the opportunity to remain in the top flight, the chance of European football - not to mention the lure of playing for one of the most popular managers in England.

Little said "The chance to be in the Premier League again is really appealing. It's disappointing to get relegated and you're thinking that you might not get the chance again - especially as I missed most of last season through injury.

I was just about to sign for Reading but then Harry rung me up, he said he's always liked me and has tried to sign me over a number of years, so I decided to come down here.

When Harry gives you a ring , you can't turn it down - and it is a chance to play for a top Premiership club.

I've known Harry over the years and he's a great manager and a great character.

it's always sad to leave a club where it had gone so well - at Reading we had such great success and I had a lot of friends there, but how can you turn this down?

I was at Reading and everthing was going really well. But when you're on a free transfer you never know

If I'd had to stay at Reading then I would have loved to. It's a lovely club, I've got lots of friends there and it's gone so well for me.

When you've been at a club for a while, and I've been there four years, it's always sad to leave.

But I think Reading will do well next season in the Championship. They've got a great chance of coming straight back up"

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Jun 2008 16:52

andrew1957 Perhaps releasing John Oster was not such a smart move after all. Suggest SC gets on the phone quickly and sees if we can get him back.

Hey! You're supposed to be an RTG.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 16:54

Arch

Hey! You're supposed to be an RTG.

Why would we want Oster back, if nothing else this is a chance for Henry and Robson-Kanu to get a chance.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jun 2008 16:54

kebe and james henry then... dont really fancy doyle on the right wing

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Jun 2008 16:56

Or we could actually try and sign some decent players instead of journeymen like Oster?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 16:56

The way i see it we should give one of either Kebe or Henry a chance until January, and if it doesn't work out we but in Jan

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 20 Jun 2008 16:57

papereyes

Why do your posts make me cry?

Is that going to be the follow-up Youtube Lament?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 20 Jun 2008 16:57

I'd like to wish Glenn every success.
He has made a great contribution to the club and it's been a privilege to have him in the hoops.
It's a typical Harry signing, bit of a gamble, may pay dividends.
It may also not be altogether bad for RFC. We now have to focus on a first team right winger. No thinking that we may see the GL of 2-3 seasons ago and then finding he's either not fit or just heading down hill.
This summer is a watershed in the club's history and I actually think unless we refresh the squad and bid some sad farewells we'll struggle. It's now over to Coppell and Hammond to repeat their previous good work and bring in the next generation of Royals.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 20 Jun 2008 16:57

Huntley & Palmer I was just about to sign for Reading but then Harry rung me up

Now I know how Bradford felt when we nicked Stephen Hunt. :evil:

fool

by fool » 20 Jun 2008 16:57

He might be available on-loan

Huntley & Palmer