No
34%

Total votes: 29
ROKERITE

Re: Rogers must go? (POLL)

by ROKERITE » 25 Aug 2009 12:02

Thaumagurist*
ROKERITE
Royal Rother And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the modern football supporter for you.

I want it NOW, and if I don't get it, I'm going to scream and scream until I'm THICK.

I'm afraid you're absolutely right, and it's the same at every club. Patience is a virtue, despite what a current advertising campaign may say. As I wrote the other day; children, fools and football fans shouldn't see a thing half-finished. Unfortunately most would be judging Rome before the foundations were dug.

You're a Sunderland fan, aren't you?

Yes I am, but I'm not a disinterested party concerning Reading's performance in The Championship this season. I've a little money riding on you and I think my best chances and Reading's are with Brendan Rodgers at the helm. It was his appointment that caught my eye, caused me to invest, and has me following Reading's progress. As my "other team" in The Championship this season is Forest, and neither of you have a win yet, things can only get better; and I'm sure they will.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 12:03

weybridgewanderer so before the "modern football fan" came along fans were happy to see their team struggle and be relegated ? Do you not think we are right to be concerned that if we do not turn the corner soon we have a problem?

No and yes, but that's the most blatant strawman I've seen on here for a while.

Brilliant!! Violet Elizabeth and Worzel Gummidge all in the space of 2 posts. That's made my day.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Aug 2009 12:07

So RR, how many games are you prepared to wait before you get concerned? Lose Saturday we are more than 10% of the way throught he season and in the bottom 3.

10 games?

23 games?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 25 Aug 2009 12:13

I'd give it another 10 games.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 12:14

weybridgewanderer so before the "modern football fan" came along fans were happy to see their team struggle and be relegated ? Do you not think we are right to be concerned that if we do not turn the corner soon we have a problem?

No, but before the "modern football fan" came along there was a lot less money in the game and it was distributed a lot more equally amongst clubs, and so the financial chasms between tiers were much less pronounced. In those days relegation was more of a temporary setback because the whole pyramid was a lot more competitive and clubs were much more mobile - relegation didn't mean financial oblivion.

In the "old days" Ipswich and Forest came up and won Tier 1, and the likes of Carlisle, Northampton, Swansea and Wimbledon came from Tier 4 to Tier 1 - that's never going to happen again. (I don't count Burnley - yes, technically, they've done this but they spent a long time consolidating in Tier 2 en route).

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Aug 2009 12:17

Dirk Gently In the "old days" Ipswich and Forest came up and won Tier 1, and the likes of Carlisle, Northampton, Swansea and Wimbledon came from Tier 4 to Tier 1 - that's never going to happen again. (I don't count Burnley - yes, technically, they've done this but they spent a long time consolidating in Tier 2 en route).

Always an exception to the rule - Hull City in this case.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 12:24

handbags_harris
Dirk Gently In the "old days" Ipswich and Forest came up and won Tier 1, and the likes of Carlisle, Northampton, Swansea and Wimbledon came from Tier 4 to Tier 1 - that's never going to happen again. (I don't count Burnley - yes, technically, they've done this but they spent a long time consolidating in Tier 2 en route).

Always an exception to the rule - Hull City in this case.

Agreed - I'd say that's mostly down to the new stadium and infrastructure after the sale of Kingston Communications, rather than a straight-up progression. But again, it's obvious that they're not going to establish themselves in Tier One, let along win it.

Once upon a time it was possible to put a team together in Tier Two that was good enough to go up and win Tier One. These days the best ever team in Tier Two (relatively) could only finish 8th in Tier One.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Aug 2009 12:30

weybridgewanderer So RR, how many games are you prepared to wait before you get concerned? Lose Saturday we are more than 10% of the way throught he season and in the bottom 3.

10 games?

23 games?

As far as I'm concerned Rodgers is a top man and I have faith and patience in abundance and am perfectly happy with what he is trying to do. That's it really.

In the past I've shown faith and it's been rewarded and other times not (and vice versas of course); we all have our approaches to following our team and no-one is going to change us, but playing the game "when will you get concerned?" is a classic manifestation of modern supporter syndrome! :wink: Not a game I am prepared to play I'm afraid.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 25 Aug 2009 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 25 Aug 2009 12:31

Are you idiots still contemplating this? I'dve thought three whole days would be enough to get over yourselves.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 12:59

Royal Rother
weybridgewanderer So RR, how many games are you prepared to wait before you get concerned? Lose Saturday we are more than 10% of the way throught he season and in the bottom 3.

10 games?

23 games?

As far as I'm concerned Rodgers is a top man and I have faith and patience in abundance and am perfectly happy with what he is trying to do. That's it really.

In the past I've shown faith and it's been rewarded and other times not (and vice versas of course); we all have our approaches to following our team and no-one is going to change us, but playing the game "when will you get concerned?" is a classic manifestation of modern supporter syndrome! :wink: Not a game I am prepared to play I'm afraid.

10 games is the earliest you can even semi seriously consider a sacking. That is made even more true given the circumstances we are in. -> New, young, inexperienced manager + new, young, inexperienced squad = things take time.

I am concerned already, but nowhere near panic.If we haven't won by game 10, I will be very concerned. If we haven't won by game 15 I will be expecting a new manager before the season is out.

Sunderland & Burnley have both started Championship campaigns badly in recent years and gone on and got promotion. In fact iirc Sunderland lost their first 4 games.

Rodgers needed less talk about how wonderful we and he were early on and more experience and goal threat in games. He still needs a team with more footballing intelligence, guile and creativity in the middle, especially with only one upfront and no goalscoring wingers with experience at this level. Tabb, Cisse and Davies is a laughable midfield for this formation.

We're not going to do as well as I'd like this season in all probability. But I still think we'll be somewhere in midtable come May. Which is perfectly acceptable.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Aug 2009 13:29

Royalee Are you idiots still contemplating this? I'dve thought three whole days would be enough to get over yourselves.

The board is always better for your insite.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 25 Aug 2009 13:41

Royal With Cheese
Royalee Are you idiots still contemplating this? I'dve thought three whole days would be enough to get over yourselves.

The board is always better for your insite.

Indeed it is - you morons need people like me to keep you in check.

Wongle

by Wongle » 25 Aug 2009 14:38

I've got a coffee shop that i'm looking for someone to manage, who's interested?

It's situated in the high street in Henley and has a 3 bed flat above with a private garden to the rear and a double garage. You would be able to stay and use all these facilities for free as would be expected and i am willing to pay a salary of £10k on top.

There's just a couple of clauses:
:!: The coffee machine that we have is one the best on the market producing some of the best coffee in the area.
:!: Although a coffee shop we also sell lime juice and grass shakes.
:!: You won't be able to sell anything else as we have a strict policy and have customers with high expectation of their local shop.
:!: These locals are also very apprehensive about change, the last manager that came in was accused of being a bit grey at first, but
he won many local awards and now his picture hangs in the shop
:!: Whilst he was a truly brilliant coffee maker he did have a habit of indulging his friends on a regular basis and unfortunately they
took the piss a bit, which will more than likely mean we have to sell the coffee machine, and maybe the juicer.
:!: But feel free to buy a new one out of your own money, (They're around £9,800)
:!: The clients don't much care for the variety or even the quality of the coffee as long as it gets there on time, and if it doesn't
your likely to get a lot of them telling you how you should run your business, they have been known to stand in the garden arms
folded in silent protest that your sh*t at your job, but don't worry I will not get rid of you, I'm grateful that you want the job!
:!: One last thing, when this all does get a bit smelly, and it will as it always does, I need you to suggest that you have been given
everything you need to succeed, and that I am in no way to blame, my friends are famous you see and I don't want them to be
associated with a failed businessman who's tight, not good for the image ;)
:!: The bills total around £1000 per month, but don't let that worry you, I'm sure you will find a way to pay this off.

Anyone who would like more information please contact the RFC reception desk and ask for John.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Aug 2009 14:44

United fans and journalists were saying Ferguson should be sacked at United in 1989. Bet they're still glad that they were proved wrong! And plenty of teams have still gone down the toilet despite managers being sacked.

Handbags, how can a new system deliver resluts NOW? He hasn't even settled on a starting line-up yet, let alone given the players time to fully understand their individual roles. This is just silly.

Anyway, if we'd had a striker on the pitch on saturday, we would probably have won.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 25 Aug 2009 17:19

RO

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 25 Aug 2009 17:27

TheMaraudingDog RO

You missed out the "I".
ROI.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Aug 2009 17:32

SteveRoyal
TheMaraudingDog RO

You missed out the "I".
ROI.

Huh?

RO obv = Rodgers Out

Rodgers is Northern Irish in any case. Unless I'm missing something here.

fozzy

by fozzy » 25 Aug 2009 17:52

Can't be bothered to read every post in this thread so this may have already been said, but for me the poll title should be "Madejski must go?". You cannot blame Rodgers for where we are and he will need time........... and money.

Whatever SirJM says about spending £1m on pitch, £1m on training etc. I just wish he would have the balls to say "I am taking the transfer profit for myself and not spending it". there is a clear amount of money that has come in and not been spent - whatever JM says - and any club with supposed ambitions of premiership return would invest.

If Coppell had stayed last season after the car park thing(as he did) BUT played the "cup team" in every game (much as we are now), and played as poorly as we have, didn't look like winning a game (or even scoring regularly) then would you have been happy? It amounts to the same thing. Personally I feel I am paying £1000+ (3 season tickets for me + kids, and that's just home games) for a youth team. It's all very well marketing a "renew now at this season's prices whether we go up or not" but I do feel conned that basically JM has pocketed the cash and we know, already, that we won't win this league or likely be anywhere near it. £1.8m on Smith (who we appear to be treating as some sort of Saviour) will not go anywhere near to what we should be spending.

I can't be bothered to get into a "What JM has done for us" argument - I can just sum it up with thanks, really sincere thanks for everything BUT get real or go.

We WILL be relegated playing like this with this squad. Premiership ambitions?
Ha!

and before you reply... remember this is an OPINION - there is no right or wrong!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 25 Aug 2009 17:52

Royal Lady
SteveRoyal
TheMaraudingDog RO

You missed out the "I".
ROI.

Huh?

RO obv = Rodgers Out

Rodgers is Northern Irish in any case. Unless I'm missing something here.

:oops:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:13

fozzy Can't be bothered to read every post in this thread so this may have already been said, but for me the poll title should be "Madejski must go?". You cannot blame Rodgers for where we are and he will need time........... and money.

Whatever SirJM says about spending £1m on pitch, £1m on training etc. I just wish he would have the balls to say "I am taking the transfer profit for myself and not spending it". there is a clear amount of money that has come in and not been spent - whatever JM says - and any club with supposed ambitions of premiership return would invest.

If Coppell had stayed last season after the car park thing(as he did) BUT played the "cup team" in every game (much as we are now), and played as poorly as we have, didn't look like winning a game (or even scoring regularly) then would you have been happy? It amounts to the same thing. Personally I feel I am paying £1000+ (3 season tickets for me + kids, and that's just home games) for a youth team. It's all very well marketing a "renew now at this season's prices whether we go up or not" but I do feel conned that basically JM has pocketed the cash and we know, already, that we won't win this league or likely be anywhere near it. £1.8m on Smith (who we appear to be treating as some sort of Saviour) will not go anywhere near to what we should be spending.

I can't be bothered to get into a "What JM has done for us" argument - I can just sum it up with thanks, really sincere thanks for everything BUT get real or go.

We WILL be relegated playing like this with this squad. Premiership ambitions?
Ha!

and before you reply... remember this is an OPINION - there is no right or wrong!

We've spent as much this season on one player as we have in total for most other Championship seasons. nd we may be on the verge of spending another £1m+

It'd be nice if you didn't dress your opinion up as fact by stating that something WILL happen then.

417 posts