Re: How many games has Rogers got left?

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2009 16:33

Bet you don't have the opportunity to give him 'til 25th December

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Oct 2009 16:34

Maguire
floyd__streete Handbags Harris (who also attended this game but didn't feel the need to namecheck it every five minutes) informed me that in fact Rodgers tactics in the second half very nearly cost us another 2 goal lead.

Well if Handbags Harris says so :roll:

We went there, we won. Rodgers' tactics resulted in three good away points yet still the h8ers use the game as a negative.

LOLz. I think I've seen enough football matches over the past 20 years to be able to judge whether we're lucky or not to win, and I'd hardly call myself a Rodgers hater! He wasn't my own preferred choice (that was Curbishley), but I don't make the decisions, we have Squeaky et al for that. I was, and to certain degree still am, all for giving Rodgers time as I always knew this was going to be a difficult season, but given the reputation from within the game that Rodgers has I expected a hell of a lot more than what I have seen so far. Time is not unlimited, there comes a point where you have to start thinking "is this man really the man for the job?". Now I'm not advocating getting rid just yet, it's far too early for that, but it does seem that he needs someone alongside him to offer an alternative opinion to what Rodgers has. The rumour at Watford is that it was Graham Taylor who offered words of advice about the benefits of playing two strikers and from then on they didn't look back. We, unfortunately, don't appear to have that experience open to us and it seems that Rodgers has gone back to the way he set his team up at the start of his Watford reign where his team was getting beaten far too often. We now find ourselves nearly 1/3 of the way through the season and in thirteen games in all competitions we've seen two convincing wins (Burton and Barnsley away), and an ultimately lucky win which should have been much more comfortable than it was. The rest have been draws and defeats, some of the defeats in scenarios where we should be at least getting a point, yet what I constantly see is a consistent inability to counteract an opposition alteration, be it in personnel and/or tactics. At this level of the game where margins can be wafer thin between teams, that is critical, and Rodgers is too often on the wrong side of that margin.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Oct 2009 16:37

handbags_harris
Maguire
floyd__streete Handbags Harris (who also attended this game but didn't feel the need to namecheck it every five minutes) informed me that in fact Rodgers tactics in the second half very nearly cost us another 2 goal lead.

We went there, we won. Rodgers' tactics resulted in three good away points yet still the h8ers use the game as a negative.

LOLz. I think I've seen enough football matches over the past 20 years to be able to judge whether we're lucky or not to win, and I'd hardly call myself a Rodgers hater! He wasn't my own preferred choice (that was Curbishley), but I don't make the decisions, we have Squeaky et al for that. I was, and to certain degree still am, all for giving Rodgers time as I always knew this was going to be a difficult season, but given the reputation from within the game that Rodgers has I expected a hell of a lot more than what I have seen so far. Time is not unlimited, there comes a point where you have to start thinking "is this man really the man for the job?". Now I'm not advocating getting rid just yet, it's far too early for that, but it does seem that he needs someone alongside him to offer an alternative opinion to what Rodgers has. The rumour at Watford is that it was Graham Taylor who offered words of advice about the benefits of playing two strikers and from then on they didn't look back. We, unfortunately, don't appear to have that experience open to us and it seems that Rodgers has gone back to the way he set his team up at the start of his Watford reign where his team was getting beaten far too often. We now find ourselves nearly 1/3 of the way through the season and in thirteen games in all competitions we've seen two convincing wins (Burton and Barnsley away), and an ultimately lucky win which should have been much more comfortable than it was. The rest have been draws and defeats, some of the defeats in scenarios where we should be at least getting a point, yet what I constantly see is a consistent inability to counteract an opposition alteration, be it in personnel and/or tactics. At this level of the game where margins can be wafer thin between teams, that is critical, and Rodgers is too often on the wrong side of that margin.

Great post HH. And to Floyd. Why am I talking about Preston so much? Well it was exciting and I got what Rodgers was trying to do.

HH did you not think aspects of what you saw at Preston were promising?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Oct 2009 16:57

Archie's penalty Look you malevolent moaning minnies I am not picking up the Royalee, W_R role here at all.

Just bloody see the bigger picture. That is all.

And yes I don't want to be a Jay. My C*nt comments were out of order. I don't want change yet, but as I said I'm giving Rodgers until xmas.

But that's the frigging point Archie. WE ARE SEEING THE BIGGER PICTURE AND WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE. Look at relegation seasons previously. 07/08 and we beat the bin dippers 3-1. In 97/8 we turned over Sunderland 4-0 somehow as well as Oxford and WBA around Christmas. 82/3 saw us pick up a crazy win at Oxford. So, yes, we will win a few games here and there but can you realistically and honestly say that we will pick up more than 10 wins this season BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN SO FAR?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Oct 2009 17:00

handbags_harris
Maguire

Good post, although it was floyd I was calling a h8er.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say but the essential facts are that 1) that we've sold off practically every valuable commodity we had 2) we've got a lot of new players (yday only 5 of the 11 had a league start for us before this season) 3) 11 games isn't all that many.

Moving away from facts and on to opinions - I don't think we've been outplayed all that much this season. Saturday was pathetic (and I wasn't happy with the substitutions myself) but generally it's not like we've been looking second best week in week out. Also, we only had two fit strikers for Saturday so i'm not massively surprised we went one up front.

He needs more time and calls for his head are laughable.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Oct 2009 17:00

Terminal Boardom
Archie's penalty Look you malevolent moaning minnies I am not picking up the Royalee, W_R role here at all.

And yes I don't want to be a Jay. My C*nt comments were out of order. I don't want change yet, but as I said I'm giving Rodgers until xmas.

But that's the frigging point Archie. WE ARE SEEING THE BIGGER PICTURE AND WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE. Look at relegation seasons previously. 07/08 and we beat the bin dippers 3-1. In 97/8 we turned over Sunderland 4-0 somehow as well as Oxford and WBA around Christmas. 82/3 saw us pick up a crazy win at Oxford. So, yes, we will win a few games here and there but can you realistically and honestly say that we will pick up more than 10 wins this season BASED ON WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN SO FAR?

Well have only seen one game so...yeah :wink:

No seriously it is worrying me too. I think we'll be ok though. And if not I'm hoping for a change before the January transfer window.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Oct 2009 17:07

Archie's penalty
Terminal Boardom

Well have only seen one game so...yeah :wink:

No seriously it is worrying me too. I think we'll be ok though. And if not I'm hoping for a change before the January transfer window.

So from what you have seen, read and heard, Can you realistically see us picking up 10 wins this season?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Oct 2009 17:10

Terminal Boardom So from what you have seen, read and heard, Can you realistically see us picking up 10 wins this season?

Yes. But it's going to be close. I just don't think you can just blame Rodgers or even Madejski. Some of the players need to step up to the plate.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 04 Oct 2009 17:17

Archie's penalty
Terminal Boardom So from what you have seen, read and heard, Can you realistically see us picking up 10 wins this season?

Yes. But it's going to be close. I just don't think you can just blame Rodgers or even Madejski. Some of the players need to step up to the plate.

i think that something at the club is wrong as we have been served this S**t since January and many of the players have all played shit since then.and i think we need a vary strong manager to sort it out and not a yes man

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Oct 2009 17:29

Archie's penalty HH did you not think aspects of what you saw at Preston were promising?

I've seen promising things from almost all of the games tbf, however they are either in fits and spurts, or few and far between. There is a chronic lack of effectiveness and potency within the teams we have put out. We haven't actually battered a team at all this season, and I can't see us doing so. We keep getting snippets and soundbites from within saying how well we've played, how close we are to a very good side which is to be expected, however in all honesty I'd have more respect for the players and manager if they turned around and actually came out and said what the actual truth is. That, IMO, is that we are not a particularly great side when we play such a defensive formation at home as the 4-2-3-1, or the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond which seriously hinders any attacking threat we may have. But Rodgers seems so hell bent on playing these formations that I doubt he can see that the most effective formation in this division is 4-4-2 with wingers.

To play the 4-2-3-1 you need to have an attacking midfielder with the ability to thread balls into channels for the wide men, wide men with skill and ability, and a forward man who is big, strong, and has a semblance of ball control to hold the ball up. We have none of these IMO, even Matejovsky has flattered to deceive, Howard is NOT the answer, Kebe is just Kebe, McAnuff has shown promise but appears to be as gutless as Kebe in a challenge as well as having a problem with a final ball, and we then have Rasiak and Hunt up front which is big doses of hmmmmm.

To play 4-1-2-1-2 you need to have ball playing midfielders, a defensively minded midfielder, and all rounders. What you also need is to have world class players in that formation because, it seems to me, to have no width means you are attacking and attempting to create chances by playing intricate balls into gaps and runners. I simply cannot see the diamond working for any team except when your team is far superior to the opposition.

That is where we are flawed IMO, and it's a combination of personnel and tactics, both of which serve to hinder us more than help.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Oct 2009 17:44

handbags_harris
Archie's penalty HH did you not think aspects of what you saw at Preston were promising?

I've seen promising things from almost all of the games tbf, however they are either in fits and spurts, or few and far between. There is a chronic lack of effectiveness and potency within the teams we have put out. We haven't actually battered a team at all this season, and I can't see us doing so. We keep getting snippets and soundbites from within saying how well we've played, how close we are to a very good side which is to be expected, however in all honesty I'd have more respect for the players and manager if they turned around and actually came out and said what the actual truth is. That, IMO, is that we are not a particularly great side when we play such a defensive formation at home as the 4-2-3-1, or the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond which seriously hinders any attacking threat we may have. But Rodgers seems so hell bent on playing these formations that I doubt he can see that the most effective formation in this division is 4-4-2 with wingers.

To play the 4-2-3-1 you need to have an attacking midfielder with the ability to thread balls into channels for the wide men, wide men with skill and ability, and a forward man who is big, strong, and has a semblance of ball control to hold the ball up. We have none of these IMO, even Matejovsky has flattered to deceive, Howard is NOT the answer, Kebe is just Kebe, McAnuff has shown promise but appears to be as gutless as Kebe in a challenge as well as having a problem with a final ball, and we then have Rasiak and Hunt up front which is big doses of hmmmmm.

To play 4-1-2-1-2 you need to have ball playing midfielders, a defensively minded midfielder, and all rounders. What you also need is to have world class players in that formation because, it seems to me, to have no width means you are attacking and attempting to create chances by playing intricate balls into gaps and runners. I simply cannot see the diamond working for any team except when your team is far superior to the opposition.

That is where we are flawed IMO, and it's a combination of personnel and tactics, both of which serve to hinder us more than help.

Completely agree with all that. Still think the formation works away and he needs to change things round at home.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Oct 2009 20:19

Ideal I think the win we fluked against PNE did us more harm than good.
It convinced the BR-groupies he was a "worldclass manager", and bought the guy more time.

Meanwhile the failure continues.

I say the sooner we can get rid of the special needs one, the better.
Such wizened words from one so very remote.

Ideal...do you recall your snivelling on here a few years ago?........man you've changed

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Oct 2009 20:40

I like you, Ideal. You're a unique fan, unusual, intelligent. You're welcome to your vociferous opinions about Rodgers. But "special needs" isn't good to use as abuse, because many of us will have children who are given special needs education at school. It's not used for adults.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Oct 2009 20:44

Ideal, by some of his recent derogative (some of them personal) posts has proven that adulthood has long since deserted him.

He hasn't been to a game this season.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Oct 2009 20:56

AthleticoSpizz Ideal, by some of his recent derogative (some of them personal) posts has proven that adulthood has long since deserted him.

He hasn't been to a game this season.

I would regard that as very sound judgement :lol:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Oct 2009 21:01

Living in Norway, I don't expect him to. I support Green Bay Packers, and I haven't seen them this season, either. He's entitled to his opinions, even if they are based on watching recordings.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Oct 2009 21:15

facaldaqui Living in Norway, I don't expect him to. I support Green Bay Packers, and I haven't seen them this season, either. He's entitled to his opinions, even if they are based on watching recordings.
but personal denegrations?

Sorry Facq (from one Coley boy to another), Ideal is riding a wave of hysteria right now. His rambling "opinions" have cost him his likeable mantle this side of the park.

I have friends abroad who have seen more of this season than he ever will, they are more subjective though.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Oct 2009 21:40

No, I'm saying he's entitled to his opinions, as distinct from his denigrations, which let him down.

Coley PARK boy, by the way! Lets be precise about our noble origins.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Oct 2009 21:46

facaldaqui No, I'm saying he's entitled to his opinions, as distinct from his denigrations, which let him down.

Coley PARK boy, by the way! Lets be precise about our noble origins.
I emigrated from Whitley, even Coley was a step up! :wink:

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 20 Oct 2009 20:55

At some point in this thread I believe it is acknowledged that we would lose at WBA and the telling games would be QPR and Leicester. QPR - barring a miracle appears to be going sadly to form.
Therefore I truly believe that defeat at home to Leicester must see the end of his tenure.
Unfortunately the Club cannot afford to sack him.
Therefore, should the clubs disasterous form not reverse by the gamer after next I think that he will need to be forced to resign.
This should not be too difficult; just show the Club's management what you feel by either staying away altogether.
Or if you have to go to matches make sure you vent your feelings.

259 posts