RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
Dickie's Spear

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by Dickie's Spear » 21 Oct 2009 08:30

Exactly , so if anyone rocks up to the Leicester game, it should be Mad's name called out , not Rodgers.
Both Coppell and Rodgers can only shoulder part of the blame, but Mad is the common denominator.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 21 Oct 2009 08:31

Never wanted him as the manager.

RODGERS OUT

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Oct 2009 08:37

Give a reasoned discussion RWC. :roll:

A manager going into a new club structure has to prove himself and make his mark. The fact that BR never showed quiet confidence and humility will come back and bite anyone, let alone someone in such a clear cut industry of public results and performance.
It's not about a pound of flesh and mongs, but more about the expectation of where we could be and where we were once at in this league and the prem which has incited such fervour amongst some of the support.
Personally i feel BR has to go primarily because it looks like he is now castigating the team as being substandard to what the club was working with last season. Yep, through no fault of his own the high earners had to go, BUT it is part of BR's remit to work with and shape the team in a progressive manner. The issue is not necessarily a long term lofty aim the support are after. That would all go out of the window If we are in a position of relegation with no chance of possibly getting out of the mire. Currently we need to string a WW streak (!) at a minimum to start closing on anyone around us. The team haven't got that as of this moment in time. To work within a hostile environment might not be heartening to the players but it is a mental block the team/ individuals need to get over. The fragility was on show last night. Particularly when Fedders never closed down the acute angled second goal last night.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Oct 2009 08:48

royalexile Give a reasoned discussion RWC. :roll:

Why? I've read some pretty strong stuff on here and I'm not going to quote it for your convenience.

Pardew and Coppell both suffered from the Hobnob mong element when not doing well. I'm not saying Rodgers is the right man for the job. I believe at the very least he needs assistance from an old managerial head. Will that happen? I don't know.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Oct 2009 08:53

He can't say the players aren't good enough. Several performed reasonably well in the PL 2 seasons ago and are more than capable of being good Championship players (Long, Hunt, Kebe, Gunnar, Ivar and a few others), some he forced out (Harper and Rosenior) and seven players are his choice, pure and simple. If they're not good enough it's down to him for poor recruitment (of new players), poor management (forcing goodish players out) or poor motivation (of existing players).

It's you, Rodgers, you're the manager!
Last edited by Man Friday on 21 Oct 2009 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 21 Oct 2009 08:53

Well, I didn't expect Reading to have just ten points after thirteen matches. No-one can argue that it's other than so far so bad. However, we're not even one third of the way into the season; Rodgers' first season in charge at Reading. It is far too early to eject a manager that Mr Madejski made such an effort to bring in; a manager who took a Watford side in deep trouble when he arrived, to safety last season. It may be January before things really start to turn around but I remain fully behind Brendan Rodgers.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 21 Oct 2009 09:07

In football you are judged primerily on results first and performance second, BR has showed he lacks on both, his choice on players is questionable and loan out descions are crazy, he shows no skills in changing formations to differant games nor when things are failing mid game, he lacks the mangergerial knowledge to motivate his team and has little vision as is clear by our current performance, this club is no differant to any other we all expect results , and when he appears to do boll ock all about it what else can he expect, i don't think he's got the know how and thats evident in last nights game where we failed to respond to anything QPR threw at us, at half time you would expect major changes to our game play, not conceed more.
its time to recognise he's not good enough for the championship, the role he had at Watford was differant and should not be used as a benchmark, the senario here was entirely differant it would take a better man than BR to turn us around after the last two seasons i'm amazed hammond failed to see that,so Hammond should go to......

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 21 Oct 2009 09:32

Ideal To be fair, I called this after four matches. The players didn't even look like they were half trying some of the time, and the tactics never looked like they would score us a goal. And it has developed exactly like I thought it would.

RODGERS OUTTTTT

You're saying a judgement you made after 4 games has been vindicated?

Tut tut tut.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 21 Oct 2009 09:34

If, as suggested above, Mr Rodgers cares so much, he will obviously want what is best for the club. As he appears to be out of his depth, (to be kind), surely he should be only too pleased to move aside and let someone with at least a shred of competence take over.

I suspect though, that self interest and a huge ego, will persuade him to hang on until the inevitable sacking, or at best, leave in a blaze of acrimony, fuelled by attempts to screw the best possible settlement out of the club.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 09:51

^ this.

That's why Coppell didn't want to stay last season but was too easily persuaded by some of us, and why he left at the end of last season. He cared about the club and he knew the direction we were heading without the investment and he didn't want to be a part of our demise.

Rodgers MUST have known there would be severe constraints - he said himself he knew he had to sell Doyle and Bikey (i think it was those two) before he could buy anyone - but when he did buy players he spent £2 million on Mills and has hardly played him, bought Rasiak who, according to the Watford fans, he didn't rate at Watford and has left out players such as Tabb and Matejovsky - who could definitely do a job for us. The confidence and belief of EVERY player now appears to be shot to pieces and it's all done to him - too much chopping and changing, no-one knows what position they're meant to be playing, no real tactics and a manager who spouts bollox. All of that is down to Rodgers and if he can't see that, he's even more of an idiot than I've given him credit for.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 21 Oct 2009 09:51

As someone wise once said,possibly...."You buy cheap, you buy twice"

Brendan? Get the fook out of my club.

Madejski? Get a good manager - not just the cheapest.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 21 Oct 2009 09:53

I think that Rodgers has the best interest of the club at heart. I also think that his ego is so big he is still convinced that he is best for the club. He will fight tooth and nail to keep this job - not out of greed or of a love for power, but out of an opinion of himself that is far too high.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 09:54

It doesn't have to be a "big" name (we wouldn't attract anyone of that calibre anyway) - we need someone who can see they have an uphill struggle, who is able to motivate the players, given them a bit of confidence, have a proper game plan and get the players to battle for results. It won't happen overnight but at least if we saw the flickers of an improvement, it would be a start.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 21 Oct 2009 10:01

August
Sat 9 15:00 A Ipswich Town FLC D 1-1
Wed 13 19:45 A Boston Utd LGCP W 3-1
Sat 16 15:00 H Nottm Forest FLC W 3-0
Sat 23 15:00 A Derby County FLC W 3-2
Mon 25 12:30 H Rotherham FLC D 0-0
Sat 30 15:00 A Wimbledon FLC W 3-0
September
Sat 13 15:00 A West Ham Utd FLC L 0-1
Tue 16 20:00 H Cardiff City FLC W 2-1
Sat 20 15:00 H Coventry City FLC L 1-2
Wed 24 19:45 A Oxford United LGCP W 3-1
Sat 27 17:35 A Sunderland FLC L 0-2
Tue 30 19:45 A Norwich City FLC L 1-2
October
Sat 4 15:00 H Bradford City FLC D 2-2
Tue 14 20:00 H Gillingham FLC W 2-1
Sat 18 15:00 H Preston FLC W 3-2
Tue 21 20:00 H Walsall FLC L 0-1
Fri 24 19:45 A Sheffield Utd FLC W 2-1
Tue 28 20:00 H Huddersfield LGCP W 1-0
November
Sat 1 15:00 A Crewe FLC L 0-1
Sat 8 15:00 H Wigan Athletic FLC W 1-0
Sat 15 15:00 H Millwall FLC W 1-0
Sat 22 17:35 A WBA FLC D 0-0
Tue 25 19:45 A Burnley FLC L 0-3
Sat 29 15:00 H Watford FLC W 2-1
December
Wed 3 20:00 H Chelsea LGCP L 0-1
Sat 6 15:00 A Wigan Athletic FLC W 2-0
Sat 13 15:00 A Stoke City FLC L 0-3
Sat 20 17:35 H Crystal Palace FLC L 0-3
Fri 26 15:00 H Wimbledon FLC L 0-3
Sun 28 15:00 A Walsall FLC D 1-1
January
Sat 3 15:00 A Preston FACP D 3-3
Sat 10 15:00 H Ipswich Town FLC D 1-1
Tue 13 20:00 H Preston FACP L 1-2
Sat 17 15:00 A Nottm Forest FLC W 1-0
Sat 31 15:00 H Derby County FLC W 3-1
February
Sat 7 15:00 A Rotherham FLC L 1-5
Sat 21 15:00 A Gillingham FLC W 1-0
Tue 24 20:00 H Burnley FLC D 2-2
Sat 28 15:00 H Sheffield Utd FLC W 2-1
March
Tue 2 19:45 A Preston FLC L 1-2
Sat 6 15:00 A Crystal Palace FLC D 2-2
Sat 13 15:00 H Stoke City FLC D 0-0
Tue 16 19:45 A Cardiff City FLC W 3-2
Sat 20 15:00 H Sunderland FLC L 0-2
Sat 27 15:00 A Coventry City FLC W 2-1
April
Sat 3 12:30 H West Ham Utd FLC W 2-0
Sat 10 15:00 A Bradford City FLC L 1-2
Mon 12 17:35 H Norwich City FLC L 0-1
Sat 17 15:00 H Crewe FLC D 1-1
Sat 24 15:00 A Millwall FLC W 1-0
May
Sat 1 15:00 H WBA FLC W 1-0 20,619
Sun 9 13:00 A Watford FLC L 0-1 17,979

Coppell's first season in charge (think his first game was in September).

Pick a few 13 game runs at your leisure.

18 points in the last 13 games. Not spectacular.

All in all mediocre at best after he took control. Went on to be Reading's greatest ever Manager.

In 2004/5 we had a 13 game run where we only notched up 14 points. Again Reading's greatest ever Manager.

I wonder what the 'Rodgers Out' brigade were up to then?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 10:03

The difference being that Coppell was able to source cheap but quality players - Rodgers doesn't have that ability

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Oct 2009 10:04

"I wonder what the Rodgers Out brigade were doing then"

Probably assessing how we were looking and progressing on the pitch and making a judgement.

My judgement is that 10 points greatly flatters us at the moment, we are worse than that, we are as bad as anything i've seen in a decade or more and we are getting worse rather than better.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 21 Oct 2009 10:12

The rapid decline started long before BR arrived, and sadly his lack of managerial experience has quickened this up, however the only constants, in this shambles,since the heady days of the Premiership are Madejski and Hammond and that is where the rot started and has continued.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Oct 2009 10:13

RoyalBlue
winchester_royal You can't judge by pre-season on how your squad will cope in competitve matches.

I hate to say it (for fear of ridicule!) but in his post match interview last night, Rodgers said a lot to win me back over.

He might always have had doubts about the players he had been left with after the cloth cutting (we now know why Coppell wouldn't play the youngsters). However, he could hardly be expected to come out right at the start of the season stating that his squad lacked the required quality and were heading for relegation. Instead he tried to instil confidence by talking things up, whilst he desperately tried to find a way to overcome the problems he faced through a lack of quality. Hence the repeated shuffling of the pack. Now he realises that Madejski and Hammond's cloth cutting has left him with a pack of crumpled jokers.

If anyone is having a go at the Mad Stad this morning, I reckon it will be Rodgers telling Hammond a few home truths (I suspect it may not be that easy for him to talk to the great man himself).

So, Winchester Royal, you are not on your own!

FFS, look at his signings. Spending half a million pounds on Cummings. That says it all. Buying Rasiak, Howard. Forcing Harper and Rosenior out. Although there's a million and one other reasons why he must go. Reality check please.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 21 Oct 2009 10:14

The thing I find most disturbing is BR going from, "this a great club and we will be challenging for promotion and europe, world class etc etc" type quotes.

To "this is a massive task" and "people don't understand" and various quotes about the job by others, that it is a "poisoned chalice" What utter bullshit"

A marvellous set up, good ground, fanbase, academy, recent success, large squad, decent players with experience etc.

Admittedly cautious and limited spending and some frailties still doesn't sound like the most difficult situation in football.

We get BR, we are pleased, we hope for the best, he fails, he now whinges about how bad it all is and in the meantime Ian Holloway quietly goes about his business of winning football games as do many other less flamboyant managers.

We made a mistake, time for change and to move on, it's your call SJM, "piss or get off the pot"

RODGERS OUT!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2009 10:15

I can still picture Hammond on the morning of the away game at Derby - he cut a lonely figure, sat on a bench at the hotel with his head, literally, in his hands. I suppose he knew what was to come should we not stay up. And now it's all imploding around him. :cry:

467 posts