Griffin Saver!

236 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Griffin Saver!

by winchester_royal » 23 Jan 2010 17:21

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently Agreed - really good performance. Couldn't really see that he was particularly short of pace or fitness, but in any case his reading of the game and his positioning was superb - showing his experience there.

Didn't do anything dramatic, but you don't want that from a full-back. You want him to be steady and dependable, and that's exactly what he gave us today.

Spot on. With his experience (both playing and captaining)I'd be tempted to finally drop Ivar and play Cisse instead to give us more pace and ability to play the ball at the back. I think Ivar has been very poor most of the season. He's been better in a few games recently from what I've seen. But he's not close to the player he used to be.

Don't agree with that. Ivar and Mills are just starting to develop a good understanding, and today we looked very very solid.

It would be daft to change it now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2010 17:27

It's not ideal, but Ivar has been poor for most of the season. He was all over teh place for Forests goals for certain. So he can up his game in the Cup when everyone in concetrating at defending against a team a league above us. Big deal, he's been poor in every league game I've seen him play. And most of the highlights.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jan 2010 17:29

Ian Royal It's not ideal, but Ivar has been poor for most of the season. He was all over teh place for Forests goals for certain. So he can up his game in the Cup when everyone in concetrating at defending against a team a league above us. Big deal, he's been poor in every league game I've seen him play. And most of the highlights.

Perhaps he knows that he's had a makeshift fullback next to him so he's had to be covering the work of two players in previous games. Now he's got a proper fullback next to him in Griffin he's able to concentrate on his own game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2010 17:32

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal It's not ideal, but Ivar has been poor for most of the season. He was all over teh place for Forests goals for certain. So he can up his game in the Cup when everyone in concetrating at defending against a team a league above us. Big deal, he's been poor in every league game I've seen him play. And most of the highlights.

Perhaps he knows that he's had a makeshift fullback next to him so he's had to be covering the work of two players in previous games. Now he's got a proper fullback next to him in Griffin he's able to concentrate on his own game.

Possible, but I don't think it' the case in the slightest. Afterall he played well against Liverpool without a right back.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Jan 2010 19:41

Ivar has been fine since mills. The addition of a proper right back has helped both the cbs

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Jan 2010 19:43

:| Cisse has been toss at centre midfield for most of the season but you would have him play there instead of Ivar. You need to get those jam jar bottoms checked

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2010 20:50

Huntley & Palmer

:| Cisse has been toss at centre midfield for most of the season but you would have him play there instead of Ivar. You need to get those jam jar bottoms checked

What have Cisse's performances at central midfield got to do with him playing at centreback? They are completely different positions requiring totally different attributes. :|

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Jan 2010 21:09

Ian Royal
Huntley & Palmer

What have Cisse's performances at central midfield got to do with him playing at centreback? They are completely different positions requiring totally different attributes. :|

And heading for a centre back is pretty much a pre-requisite.

Remind me - how's Cliff in the air ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2010 21:17

not brilliant, but not awful, certainly an area of his game that could do with improvement to play there regularly. Otherwise his previous centreback appearances would have been awful. Which they haven't been.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 24 Jan 2010 15:38

I slagged off Griffin last week for a dreadful debut at Forest but this performance in a pure defensive role was much improved. In fact he brought a symmetry to our play favoured by several coaches in the seventies.
Griffin sits while Bertrand gets forward, Sigursson comes in off the left while MacAnuff raids down the right. If McDermott intends to develop this we could to take a lot of those dross Championship sides to the cleaners.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jan 2010 17:42

greed- hes given us real balance, confidence and calmness at the back.
if thor turns into a real striker BM will have restored our team in two moves......
fingers crossed

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Jan 2010 17:46

brendywendy greed- hes given us real balance, confidence and calmness at the back.
if thor turns into a real striker BM will have restored our team in two moves......
fingers crossed

Balance is the right word - the defence might just be coming together
Was impressed with Mills as well but Griffin looked like an experienced player who knew where to be and was very comfortable all game. Never panicked, never out of position

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jan 2010 17:55

already builty some sort of partnership with mills on that side- who covered him very well on the one or two occasions he was outpaced
this in turn means the wingers feel lesss of a need to cover at the back, get forward more, and create more.
its easy this management lark

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Jan 2010 21:00

brendywendy Ivar has been fine since mills. The addition of a proper right back has helped both the cbs

Agreed. Ingi has improved no end since Mills has replaced the retard Pearce.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 24 Jan 2010 21:07

Ark Royal Agreed. Ingi has improved no end since Mills has replaced the retard Pearce.

:lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 24 Jan 2010 21:32

Ark Royal
brendywendy Ivar has been fine since mills. The addition of a proper right back has helped both the cbs

Agreed. Ingi has improved no end since Mills has replaced the retard Pearce.

Harsh - but :lol:

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 24 Jan 2010 22:05

Good to see a proper right back again, but where now for Cummings? I only saw the bloke once, on his début, he was feckin awful but did show real promise. Now fourth choice behind a real RB and two utility players isn't going to be great for his confidence, time for a loan move surely?
Last edited by Pseud O'Nym on 24 Jan 2010 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Jan 2010 22:09

Focher
Ark Royal Agreed. Ingi has improved no end since Mills has replaced the retard Pearce.

:lol:

What like forest when ivar was the worst player out of both sides? He got a great assist for forests second goal too, lovely clearance just outside of the box to the advancing forest attack.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 25 Jan 2010 08:50

A superb home debut by Griffin; had Eagles in his pocket for the whole of the 1st half to such an extent that Eagles was switched to the other flank at the start of the 2nd half to try his luck against Betrand - and didn't do much against him either!

Griffin gave us a solidity and nous that has been lacking at rb all season, and it seemed to me that the back 5 as a unit were much more solid as a result.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Jan 2010 10:16

Also, I think he'll improve when his match fitness returns. Great game on Saturday. Keep it up Griffo!

236 posts